[Sydney] Commute Route suggestions - M5 - CBD

daniel.s

[Sydney] Commute Route suggestions - M5 - CBD

Postby daniel.s » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi all. I'm just after suggestions on the best routes into the city from the start of the M5 East tunnel into the CBD. I'm considering riding in to work during the "quiet" period next week to see how it will go.

I've had a bit of a browse through the "Commute Routes" thread and have also done some searching around, but nobody seems to be commuting in from out my way. I've also had a bit of a look at OpenCycleMap, but nothing caught my eye there either.

The ride's around 45KM door to door. The easy part (apart from potential punctures) is the M5, but after that I've no idea what the best route is. I certainly don't want to try Southern Cross Drive as there's no shoulder.

Thanks in advance...
2011 Giant Defy 1

gauchoracer

Re: [Sydney] Commute Route suggestions - M5 - CBD

Postby gauchoracer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Greetings Daniel,
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/In ... Airport-M5
This shows one route to the airport, from C'town, but it does show one option from M5 tunnel...
(Thanks to Kev365428 for doing the hard work... :lol: :lol: :wink: )
I use this route as well, only infrequently though, and also go as far as the airport, so from there to the city Im not much help, :( :oops:
Have fun exploring...
Max...
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Airport to the city would probably be best done on teh bourke road / street cyclepath (if it's completed)
I used to ride to redfern from Sutherland and always wnet past the airport and along bourke.
2010 BMC SLC01

daniel.s

Postby daniel.s » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks guys. Just having a look at Google's satellite imagery, there seems to be a shared path that runs along Airport Drive and would lead to an easy way to get on to Bourke Road/Street

I don't think the cycleway's finished though.

I was hoping there'd be someone on here who commutes through that area and would have some tips for me. :D
2011 Giant Defy 1

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:26 pm

The path along Airport Dr spits you out on Coward St. You can then make your way to Bourke from there. The Bourke Rd cycleway gets you to Green Square. From there it can depend on which part of the city you are headed for. The cycleway on Bourke St is still under construction, but you can go along Crown or Riley. Looking at the map, I think you can take a left onto George St and follow that all the way to Central Station.

Won't be the fastest route by any means, but does keep you away from most traffic.

daniel.s

Postby daniel.s » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:48 pm

itsaghostcar wrote:From there it can depend on which part of the city you are headed for.
My work's on the corner of Bridge and George so I have to make my way through pretty much the entire CBD, unless there's a way I can cycle through/around the Botanical Gardens and past the Opera House. Not sure if you're allowed to ride there though.

Looking at street view, there's really no bike friendly roads leading from the airport into the city.

I'm jealous of the Melbourners :( I rode ~35KM in to the city in Melbourne the other month with a mate while I was on holidays down there, and they've got it so easy.
2011 Giant Defy 1

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:15 pm

daniel.s wrote:
My work's on the corner of Bridge and George so I have to make my way through pretty much the entire CBD, unless there's a way I can cycle through/around the Botanical Gardens and past the Opera House. Not sure if you're allowed to ride there though.
College St cycle path from Central/Bourke/William? Should take you down Macquarie St (less busy than George) then into Bridge.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:38 pm

daniel.s wrote:Looking at street view, there's really no bike friendly roads leading from the airport into the city.
Between the airport and Green Square, you'll be on separated paths. I doubt Streetview has been updated since the Bourke Rd cycleway was put in.

I'd continue from Green Square along Bourke St, then turn left on Phillip, right on Baptist which becomes Crown St. Follow that to Oxford St and turn left there and head down to College St. College St has a separated cycleway now to Macquarie St. Down Bent St and a quick right turn before you get to Pitt St to get you onto Bridge St.

daniel.s

Postby daniel.s » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll look into that route.
2011 Giant Defy 1

markusm

Postby markusm » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:21 am

Hi,

This is something I have been looking in to doing recently too but when the M5 ends at the tunnel im stumped. I live at Holsworthy!

The best way i thought was to get off the M5 at Bexley road, head through Earlwood, tempe, st peters etc then through Alexandria or down to george st etc.

I work at Rushcutters Bay, found the best thing to do was to ride to Kingsgrove train station, leave the bike there, train to work then back to Kingsgrove then ride home. Its a lot of mucking around but its still then a 40km round trip, albeit very boring just on the M5!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:14 pm

At least until the Bourke St cycleway is completed, I'd suggest turning left at Elizabeth/Bourke St, follow to Redfern St (just north of Redfern oval), then right into Chalmers, follow that through to Central and onto Elizabeth again. Then ride down Elizabeth to Bridge. Elizabeth St north of cleveland has bus lanes - but you might find yourself overtaking buses a fair bit in the adjacent lane.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Markusm,

Here is my alternate route I use to get from Ingleburn to the airport, avoiding the M5 the whole way. It's a good ride but slower than the M5 obviously.
Less chance of visits from the puncture fairy, but more interactions with traffic.

Hope this helps.

Kev.