Cycle lights proposal in Sydney

mianos

Cycle lights proposal in Sydney

Postby mianos » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:02 am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 5974671979
Under a proposal from the powerful State Government StaySafe committee, cyclists would have their own green traffic signals to get a head start over vehicles - similar to lights currently in use for government buses.

It would be good to get a few more votes.

The Womble

Re: Cycle lights proposal in Sydney

Postby The Womble » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:12 am

Something to benefit cyclists? Whats going on?!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:37 am

SMH wrote:StaySafe also found road engineering was "biased towards the needs of motor vehicles and drivers" and recommended changes.
Nothing new about that one :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:07 am

Oxford wrote:"Airbags to protect cyclists", how about just avoiding the whole collision to begin with by looking where they are piloting the 2 tonne of mass they have around them?
My thoughts exactly Oxford. :D

Also I'm not so sure how I feel about separate traffic lights for bikes. It seems an unnecessary expensive, wasted down time for traffic flow at an intersection (of all types). Melbourne has them in a few spots, I don't see the advantages personally.

Max

Postby Max » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:38 am

I just couldn't bring myself to vote "yes" in the poll, because it was actually asking two questions. I think the 30Kph CBD speed limit is a good idea, and not just for cyclists but pedestrians too. I think giving cyclists their own traffic lights isn't a good idea. I'd much rather see those funds diverted to road widening, road user education, bike paths that actually go somewhere useful etc.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:39 am

I'd prefer they spent the money on educating motorists and cyclists instead.
I don't really think cyclists need their own light sequence.
2010 BMC SLC01

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:20 am

Happy to pay the $20 rego (hey that's my daily parking rate!) if it shuts up the clowns in the Daily Terror forum (fat chance of that happening).

Jeez, this city is full of whingers.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:44 am

I went down the Union St bike path yesterday, it was green for the normal street for straight ahead but red for bikes. Say What? They have to get the signalling right first and make them consistenty - right now they are appallingly crap

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:09 pm

The approach taken in some European cities is to actively encourage and give advantage to cyclists eg. the 'green wave' of traffic lights for 20kmh traffic in Copenhagen, shortened traffic light sequences to keep cyclists moving in Amsterdam.

Green Wave

Even 'bicycle-only' through roads
Mandatory helmet law?

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:41 pm

CommuRider wrote:Happy to pay the $20 rego (hey that's my daily parking rate!) if it shuts up the clowns in the Daily Terror forum (fat chance of that happening).
Really, you care that much what they think? Besides, it will not make any difference. The idiots who actually try and run people off the road etc are probably sociopaths anyway (no, I am not kidding) so cannot be appeased whatever you do. Other people might beep their horn etc, but, to paraphrase drubie, I take this as an opportunity to educate by extending my middle finger.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 pm

simonn wrote: Really, you care that much what they think?
If I did I'd be posting in that forum :-P I'm just trying to place the Randwick Council proposed rego of $20 into context. Bondi daily parking rate is much more than that. My point is, $20 is a drop in the ocean in terms of rego. Commuting to city saves me on parking, fuel, time etc. If contributing an annual $20 rego means more improved cycling infrastructure etc then happy to pay that amount.

DT just encapsulates the bigoted yellow journalism in this country.

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Then again you could actually just read the proposal which was reported a month ago... and see they requested it be TRIALLED in APPROPRIATE PLACES.

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/p ... our%29.pdf
The Committee also recommends that separate signal phases for bicyclists at intersections, which stop all vehicular traffic while permitting cyclists to proceed through the intersection in designated directions, should be trialled where appropriate.
EDIT:
Preceding this was the call for Bike Boxes at traffic lights to stop cars from turning left over the top of cyclists, so it puts it in greater perspective that cyclists filter forward, park in the bike box & then go on their green.
Sorta what happens now, but just marked out.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:15 pm

By the looks of the photo, the rider is turning right out of Oxford st onto college st

And if that's the case then he is trying to get ahead of the traffic so he doesn't get swashed. Though I don't know if the cycle path is finished.

So this picture is actually supporting the need for the 'cycle first' lights

However it is typical minority group bashing, where the actions of an individual are portrayed to represent the entire minority group.

A 30kph speed limit is badly needed in Sydney CBD, the number of pedestrians hit by cars is excessive. True in most cases it is the pedestrian venturing onto the roadway unsafely, but tell that to the kids who have lost a mother or father
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:30 pm

mikesbytes wrote:So this picture is actually supporting the need for the 'cycle first' lights
sorry - but unless i see a red light - then he didnt cross on the red.

Odd how the red light somehow didnt make it into the photo

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:02 pm

I drove into the city yesterday afternoon as EldestofMany had a performance at the Town Hall. I don't think I got over 30km/h after I left the Harbour Bridge anyway. What's the fuss?
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:11 pm

fatherofmany wrote:I drove into the city yesterday afternoon as EldestofMany had a performance at the Town Hall. I don't think I got over 30km/h after I left the Harbour Bridge anyway. What's the fuss?
Exactly! I reckon Melbourne CBD should have a 40 kmh, or even 30 kmh speed limit. Most people wouldn't notice any difference. But it would rein in the tossers who try the old 'drag race to the next red' trick.
Mandatory helmet law?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Nate wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:So this picture is actually supporting the need for the 'cycle first' lights
I take that intersection on many mornings and there'll be at least one rider ignoring the red light through each light cycle during peak hours, without fail. And those riders often threaten and squeeze rule abiding pedestrians who are crossing the road. That's a reality.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Nate wrote:

Odd how the red light somehow didnt make it into the photo
Valid point, from where the photographer was standing, the light couldn't be seen. Could be that the traffic didn't turn right as the street was gridlocked and the cyclist was turning into the new cycleway.

However the caption is saying that the cyclist was bumping the red and unfortunately true or false, most readers will read "guilty until proven innocent"
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:35 pm

sogood wrote:I take that intersection on many mornings and there'll be at least one rider ignoring the red light through each light cycle during peak hours, without fail. And those riders often threaten and squeeze rule abiding pedestrians who are crossing the road. That's a reality.
From the looks of the photo, if he did go on the red, it's only the half a second before the that light actually went green ... the cars behind are already across the line and moving as well, so he couldn't have been that far ahead. Knowing that light phase, cars have just had finished turning right from Wentworth Ave onto Oxford St. By getting out in front of the cars into the intersection, you are well in view of all traffic, and can make it to the start of the College St cycleway before the cars start jostling for position in the drag down College St to Park St (2 lanes turns into one lane for those continuing straight along College St).

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:15 pm

CommuRider wrote:
simonn wrote: Really, you care that much what they think?
If I did I'd be posting in that forum :-P I'm just trying to place the Randwick Council proposed rego of $20 into context. Bondi daily parking rate is much more than that. My point is, $20 is a drop in the ocean in terms of rego. Commuting to city saves me on parking, fuel, time etc. If contributing an annual $20 rego means more improved cycling infrastructure etc then happy to pay that amount.

DT just encapsulates the bigoted yellow journalism in this country.
If...
I doubt $20 wil make a positive difference, besides the fact that the system that handles the registration has to be funded I doubt that there is anything left at all of those 20.
And like someone said before, some just can't be appeased whatever you do, they wil say WHAT , only $20 :shock: that is way too low... :evil:
And before you know it the 20 wil be increased.... :roll:
Image Image Image

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:19 pm

sogood wrote:I take that intersection on many mornings and there'll be at least one rider ignoring the red light through each light cycle during peak hours, without fail. And those riders often threaten and squeeze rule abiding pedestrians who are crossing the road. That's a reality.
Harold Scruby wrote:''You only have to watch cyclists in the CBD to see the number of red lights they run but they are not being fined.''
Sorry sogood... as "valid" as your opinions are, they're opinions - and we have a HUGE go at people for asserting theirs as "facts" like the above.
(no having a go, but pointing out a little of our double standards)

zero

Postby zero » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:42 pm

I would rather a concerted effort to either dedicate corridors, or a concerted effort to improve motorist/cyclist interaction in regular lanes, rather than maximising the benefits for left passing or outright lane splitting by riders, and therefore maximising the usage of something which should in fact be used sparingly.

It encourages cyclists to move closely past drivers, and therefore makes drivers used to the idea the cyclists and cars should be interacting closely, when I'd really prefer it if they stayed the **** away from me, and I'm happy to do them the return favour of not re-blocking them after each intersection as a gift for that space.

If we have separate traffic cycles for cyclists, they should be there for cycle corridors to move.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:54 pm

goodlookingcyclist wrote: If...
I doubt $20 wil make a positive difference, besides the fact that the system that handles the registration has to be funded I doubt that there is anything left at all of those 20.
And like someone said before, some just can't be appeased whatever you do, they wil say WHAT , only $20 :shock: that is way too low... :evil:
And before you know it the 20 wil be increased.... :roll:
The $20 is a furphy anyway - just another spurious argument from the irrational anti-cycling brigade. Our hospital system is already overcrowded with obese, diabetic (type 2) people who didn't get enough exercise. Cost-benefit argument is in favour of cyclists but people would rather side on irrationality. *sighs*

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:32 pm

The problem with the current Kent St/King St/Union St cycleways is that cyclists already get their own traffic light phase - and the green phase is diabolically shorter than anything reasonable in order to put cyclists in last place behind motor vehicles and pedestrians.

I'd just like to be treated like an equal to cars. I'd be happy to see cyclists given the same green phase as cars, with the cars obligated to give way when turning across the bicycle lanes - just as cars must give way to vehicles in a lane they wish to cross.

While bicycle boxes might have made it on the Staysafe recommendations list (and into the Aus Road Rules), there aren't any in the CBD - but they would probably do more to promote cyclists safety than all of Clover's half-baked bi-directional cycle lanes.

Regards
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:34 am

wombatK wrote:While bicycle boxes might have made it on the Staysafe recommendations list (and into the Aus Road Rules), there aren't any in the CBD - but they would probably do more to promote cyclists safety than all of Clover's half-baked bi-directional cycle lanes.
I've got the privilege of riding along many of these cycle lanes each day on my route to and from work. Whilst I agree that the light phasing isn't the best, I don't understand the hate that cyclists have towards them. For anyone who isn't wanting to have a race through the city, they are a perfectly good way of getting through town. Attitudes from the public are also getting better - each week, I see more people (pedestrians and drivers) checking closely as they go across any cycle paths. Not everyone remembers, and you still need to be careful ... but it will take some time. There are close calls in Amsterdam and Copenhagen and other bicycle friendly places every day too.

The more cyclists about the better it will be for us. Yes they may slow you up a bit, but remember that that's exactly the thinking that drivers have towards cyclsts. These cycleways and bike boxes are great things to promote cycling in Sydney. These visible signs make people aware that there is a viable alternative to sitting in traffic.