TdU Challenge Stage

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:43 am

Jeremy wrote:Thanks for the run down on the hill.....our group of 6 were planning on going up there for a look pre-ride.....but if you think it's not any harder than the eagle then i think we'll just train closer to home.... :)

transport on the big day is proving to be a bit of an issue, with both start and finish miles from home, but i think we've got a bit of a plan :roll:
No probs.

If you get the chance, head up there, as then not only will you actually get to see the hill, but the general road conditions, and also get a feel fro Mannum as well.

Our Team is heading up there the night before and camping (booked sites ages ago) so that there is no hassle at the start.

See ya there

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:45 pm

Training guide for the TdU Challenge as listed in the AdelaideNow website :

Your weekly training program for the Mutual Community Challenge Tour.

TODAY, Dec 14
Time/distance: 1hr35min/42km
Hilly ride. Try to pedal on downhills to improve cadence and riding technique.

TOMORROW, Dec 15
Time/distance: 2hr10min/56km
Long ride in hills but keep heartrate as low as possible and concentrate on form and technique only.

SUNDAY, Dec 16
Time/distance: 40min/17km
Easy road ride in a small gear, keeping cadence above 105rpm and no freewheeling.

MONDAY, Dec 17
Time/distance: 1hr20min/39km
Medium-intensity ride, with a group if possible.

TUESDAY, Dec 18
Time/distance:
50min/23km
Easy ride to coffee shop or work and back.

WEDNESDAY, Dec 19
Time/distance: 1hr45min/49km
1 x 8min strength endurance effort on a slight incline (3-4%) and cadence of 60-70rpm. Hold at a heartrate of 85-92%, maintain smooth upper body and focus on smooth pedalling stroke. Finish with a steady road ride.

THURSDAY, Dec 20
Time/distance: 40min/19km
Light resistance, fast pedalling ride, can be done on an indoor trainer.

Link for those interested ;

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/feat ... 83,00.html

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:05 am

Did half of the TDU stage for part of my ride today, Nairne to Strathalbyn. Was about 68 kms and on my own at a comfortable pace took 2 hours, so, in a group its going to be a real quick finish to the ride!

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:07 pm

A mate of mine visited his mum in mannum on the weekend....reckons he's never seen so many bikes in and around the place :)

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:01 pm

needsapush wrote:Did half of the TDU stage for part of my ride today, Nairne to Strathalbyn. Was about 68 kms and on my own at a comfortable pace took 2 hours, so, in a group its going to be a real quick finish to the ride!
I'm starting to think that I'm going to need an age handicap. :wink: I realize that the last half of the stage is pretty flat, but averaging low- to mid-30's is pretty quick for two hours riding.
For our Boxing Day recovery ride this morning, we pretty much did this ride - Lodge Ride to Shingle Hill - but started / stopped at about the 4 km mark. That made it about 57 km and I averaged just on 30 km/hr - with about 10 km of that on the front of the pack.
Admittedly, being in a group will help, but I hope that I find some-one (and preferably a bunch) that's close to my pace.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:40 pm

Sure you'll have no probs looking at that, reckon you'll have a good avg for the ride no handicap needed :D . Michael has done most of the first bit and is happy and the bit i did was good going. Just hope the weather is on our side. The second bit is very open so if theres any wind it will make it interesting! Pros finish at approx 2.15 with us starting at 7.30. Not sure how many have entered, I was told theres over 3000 but not sure how accurate it is??

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Rode to Mannum this morning to meet a few guys who I'm riding the TDU with. We headed off and as Michaels ride we had strong head and side winds. When I drove it in the car just after I bought my bike, the hills looked pretty steep. However despite the wind it was pretty easy going. The elevation profile looks pretty fierce but thats probably as the rest of the route is pretty flat. Up to Palmer it is very easy going (for a hill) and even when you get there its not too steep. There were no sections of the hill that had you struggling with cadence or needing to stand up. We carried on up to Birdwood, here the guys I was with headed back down to their car and I continued the course back home, headwind all the way :(

I've now done the whole route and if you have the distance in your legs and the wind is good I'll say you'll have a pretty good avg speed no probs! As Michael says if you can do Eagle on the Hill you've got nothing to worry about! :D

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:04 pm

As long as the temperatures arent extreme it will make a nice ride, I remmember doing the tour ride i think it was 2 years ago when it was close to 40 degrees and saw people running out of water, collapsing on the side of the road, it wasnt well planned by bicycle SA with their water stops. As i will also be entering this year im looking forward to a great ride, its always enjoyable and a great way to get into the spirit of the tour down under. Did a very nice ride on sunday, up the freeway, through to picadilly, uraidla and out to the gorge through cudlee creek to get a few kms in before the ride itself.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:35 pm

I did my practice run a week ago - out to Collectorand back. It's a very different profile, but the length (131km according to my bike) is about the same. I averaged a whisker under 28km/hr and it was just over 30 C when I got home. Admittedly, it is likely to be hotter in the Hills, but at least it wasn't cloudy.
Hopefully, my normal training and racing will keep my legs in trim.
I'll see you all there - perhaps.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:01 pm

I'll be the one with TDU jersey on riding an Avanti :roll: Easy to spot :lol: Heard there is over 3000 riding so imagine it will be pretty manic in Mannum high street. Will let you know where abouts I'll be standing when I know myself.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:25 am

Given that all of those 3,000 will be wearing basically the same jersey, it's going to be a challenge (groan) to spot any-one - especially when we don't know each other. I might have to bring my handlebar streamers over with me. :wink:

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:16 pm

Yeah, I thought about how we can identify each other too....maybe we could each upload pics of our bikes? I tend to look at the bike more than the riders :)

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:50 pm

I'm with the streamers idea, have you seen how cool they look :roll: :lol:

My new tyres should be here any day, so once I've got them on, I'll stick a photo up. They'll make me easier to spot.

IF YOUR UNSURE WHETHER TO ENTER, CUT OFF DATE FOR REGISTRATIONS IS FRIDAY 11TH JANUARY (according to the radio today)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:45 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:Given that all of those 3,000 will be wearing basically the same jersey, it's going to be a challenge (groan) to spot any-one - especially when we don't know each other. I might have to bring my handlebar streamers over with me. :wink:
I was thinking of the flag from my little one's tag-a-long .......

Then I thought about wind resistance, and some other riders may not appreciate being whipped by the flag ....

Have managed to get in a good few kays this week including hills, and our team is planning a ride to Willunga and back along the expressway Veloway which will be a good distance and hills test.

Given last years numbers, my mate said that when they lined up, they qwere 500m back from the start line, and they got there early !! And now with oveer 3,200 entering and deadlines extended, could get to 3,500 !!!

kadafi

Postby kadafi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Since they extended the deadline i finally took the plunge and decided to enter! albeit only the 73km from woodside to strath!

now where did i put my bike to start training!

Sharpie

Postby Sharpie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm

I've had tonsilitis, so regrettably, I won't be riding.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:33 pm

So how many are in it ?

The weather forecast looks OK (not too hot) at 31 degrees, but the wind is what will be the killer I reckon.

One last long ride this Sunday, then ease off, fuel up and jkeep fingers crossed !!!

kadafi

Postby kadafi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:20 pm

well, im still hoping to make the half distance in under 3 hours! finally got a named hill under my belt today, took me 32 minutes to get from the old toll gate to top of eagle on the hill it was brutal on me with heart at about 170 the whole way, but it was worth it for the 8 minute 6km trip back :D
cricket tommorow and 2 more 40km or so rides planned before the big day!

time to pray the wind stays away, heat is not so much a problem!

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Well done on Eagle Kadafi! Eagles a good hill in the fact your off the road pretty much all the way up there.

I'm still riding, the weather looks like its warming up though. :?

Riding in a group and aim is to stay together so will be a good fun ride! I'll be peddling away on this, keep your eye out!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:11 pm

I won't be riding. Hope to be there, but have to be back in Adelaide to pick up my daughter at some undisclosed time.

Have fun. Please identify yourselves so I can scream appropriate abuse ... err ... encouragement.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Where you going to be watching? Mrs has broken the news that I may have to ride back from Strath. Apparently a shopping trip with friends on her day off is more appealing than waiting around to pick me up.

Dean

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Well it's a lot closer for you to ride home than us Dean :lol:

We're driving to mannum, then getting the bus back to mannum and driving home....

I'll take a pic of my bike tomorrow.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:16 am

Jeremy wrote:Well it's a lot closer for you to ride home than us Dean :lol:

We're driving to mannum, then getting the bus back to mannum and driving home....

I'll take a pic of my bike tomorrow.
There's a bus back to Mannum? When was this announced? :shock:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Postby Newbie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:48 pm

I have entered into the Mannum / Strath ride but need a bit of info. I ride MTB and have managed to borrow a road bike.

I time trial up Cross rd from Fullarton all the way to the roundabout at Crafers. This takes about 45 minutes on the MTB, but is barely faster on the road bike. I struggle to push the gear on the road bike. It has a 39 at the front and a 23 at the back. I am much more confortable spinning my MTB in the middle cog up the hills.

I think i climb faster on the MTB but on the flatter stuff make up for it on the road bike. I have a few questions.

Is "the hill" on the tdu going to be similar to the toll gate to Eagle on the hill section?

Will i find that a 27 cog on the road bike will make much difference?

Will the speed of the road bike on the flat be beneficial over the similar speed, more comfortable mtb up the hill.

Thanks for any advice?

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi mate,

You'll notice from my post above, that after riding the hill from Mannum, I found it easier than Eagle on the hill. Have you ridden Eagle on the road bike that you are using? If so and you managed it ok, I'd confidently say you'll be fine.

Personally I wouldn't contemplate doing the stage on an MTB if you have the choice of a road bike. How much training have you been doing?

If you struggle on climbs with a 23 I'd go with the 27, if its ok to get it all swapped over with no hassels.