Hell of The South

MountGower

Hell of The South

Postby MountGower » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:00 am

G'day

I have it on good authority that the deviation of the Beaudesert-Boonah Rd at Wyaralong is finished and open. I'm planning to do this ride between Next Monday and the Monday after inclusive.

In the past it has gone down Middle and Teviot Rds in to Kilmoylar Rd and down to Bromelton House Rd via Allen Creek Rd, coming on to the Beaudesert-Boonah Rd at Bromelton. This includes about 5km of dirt, which is in keeping with the hellish theme of the ride, even though it is absolutely rideable.

Recent expeditions show me that the amount of shoulderless road on the Mt Lindsay Hwy is very small and possibly worth riding, making the ride to go via Beaudesert.

Regardless of it going inland to Bromelton or down the Hway to Beaudesert, the ride is simply a loop to Coulson, Peak Crossing and Ipswich returning to Brisbane via the popular route used by Audax Qld and commuters. Past the TAFE, Dinmore, Collingwood Park, Wacol Station Rd, 17 Mile Rocks, Oxley Rd etc.

I have one other almost certain starter, but would be happy to have anyone else along. The pace will not be overly hot. Maybe a little over 25kph. The three times I have done this before have ranged from 25-27kph average speed, which depends on wind direction.

The ride will depart from Coorparoo and head down Ipswich and in to Beaudesert Rd at Moorooka. There is plenty of parking here.

Please feel free to post up a prefered day, any other thoughts or any questions.

Cheers.
Last edited by MountGower on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MountGower

Re: Hell of The South

Postby MountGower » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:02 am

While I'm at it.

I'm looking very closely at rainfall in the Flinders Peak, Undullah Rd area from today for a prospective awesome MTB loop. Let me know if you're interested in that one also.

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:42 am

what distance are we talking about here?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:40 pm

G'day, it's 200km from Coorparoo to Coorparoo if you do a lap of the block at the end.

There is a bail out option at Ipswich which brings you to a 3km ride to my place from Vulture Street Station or a train change to Coorparoo Station which is a few hundred meters from my place.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:05 pm

I might be keen, depending on what day you settle on. I don't have anything else planned, so no date preferences, but might get dragged into family stuff. How early in the morning were you thinking for departure?

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi MG, i am interested but would probably bail out at Ipswich, will send you a PM.
i would probably only be available to ride in the week 27 to 30th december, and not new years eve.
Oops, just saw the news, weather prediction for next week is not encouraging. :(

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Lethoso

I would really like to get away by 5am.

Elantra

I replied to your PM. Twice actually, because I didn't read it propperly the first time.

Some points of common interest:
There is no water between Beaudesert and Peaks Crossing. If we go via Brometon that means no water for over 100km. I always take a camelbak on this ride as the water at Peaks Crossing won't hurt you, but it certainly won't impress you, I can tell you that for sure.

Prefered date for Elantra is 27th to 30th. Hopefully this will allign with the weather report. Leaving people out is no good, but so is riding in the rain after a sunny day.

Let's keep an eye on the weather and aim for that window.

Cheers.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Well......it's hard to get the words bloody and hell (pardon the pun) out of my mind at the moment. This is not looking good. I'm also curious about just how fit I'll be for this after such a poor regime of riding in recent times. Perhaps we'll pencil this one in for some other time.

Cheers

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Has the magic moment arrived?

Register your interest for this Saturday - departing Coorparoo around 5am.