Tdu 2011 !!!!

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby Will Levy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:32 am

Hello, I run a business which may help out those heading to Adelaide for the TDU from Sydney. http://www.bikeshuttle.com.au will carrying bikes from Sydney to Adelaide - no need to box your bike, put in taxi/plane etc etc. More info can be found on the site. AUbicycles has given me the OK to post this.
Cheers - Will Levy
User avatar
Will Levy
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:17 pm
Location: Sydney

by BNA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:11 am

BNA
 

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby Cycotic » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:11 am

I've just heard a whisper that Cycling SA has job of organising the ride again this year. Can anyone confirm this?
User avatar
Cycotic
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Adelaide, SA (Blackwood)

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby RobRollin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:38 pm

So who's coming? I'm coming accross along with Marc from Tasmania and interested in meeting up with the BNA crew. Also looking at doing the Mutual Challenge.
Image
RobRollin
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Cycotic wrote:I've just heard a whisper that Cycling SA has job of organising the ride again this year. Can anyone confirm this?

I think they are helping supply volunteers at the starts and finish through the various clubs. I'm not sure what other involvement they have.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:05 pm

RobRollin wrote:So who's coming? I'm coming accross along with Marc from Tasmania and interested in meeting up with the BNA crew. Also looking at doing the Mutual Challenge.

I'm doing the MCCT, not sure about the rest of the week due to work commitments. Get some practice on steep hills for the ride up Checkers Hill, it's going to be a hurtfest on there.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby ni78ck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:08 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:
RobRollin wrote:So who's coming? I'm coming accross along with Marc from Tasmania and interested in meeting up with the BNA crew. Also looking at doing the Mutual Challenge.

I'm doing the MCCT, not sure about the rest of the week due to work commitments. Get some practice on steep hills for the ride up Checkers Hill, it's going to be a hurtfest on there.

i have just seen the profile of checkers hill :shock: :shock: :shock: i better start training on 20% gradients :oops:
Oppy Le Mauco - Dura Ace (wet weather bike)
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2
User avatar
ni78ck
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Ni78ck, fortunately it's only 600m long. The biggest problem will be from riders zig-zagging or stopping halfway up if it's crowded. Also just when you think you've done the climb it kicks again so just pace yourself and try and find some room.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby ni78ck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:58 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:Ni78ck, fortunately it's only 600m long. The biggest problem will be from riders zig-zagging or stopping halfway up if it's crowded. Also just when you think you've done the climb it kicks again so just pace yourself and try and find some room.

thanks for the tip, i have never been to adelaide so im looking forward to riding all week. there is 12 or so many of us coming from sydney, to tackle the hills :D
Oppy Le Mauco - Dura Ace (wet weather bike)
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2
User avatar
ni78ck
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi

No Cadel for the Tdu ...

Team BMC will return to Adelaide in January to compete in the 2011 Santos Tour Down Under but former world champion Cadel Evans will not be amongst their seven-man line-up...Despite this, BMC, who recently achieved ProTeam status, will send a strong team, which includes the likes of Alessandro Ballan, Alexander Kristoff and new recruit Amael Moinard.
- CyclingNews.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 19420
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby bongo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:54 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

No Cadel for the Tdu ...

Team BMC will return to Adelaide in January to compete in the 2011 Santos Tour Down Under but former world champion Cadel Evans will not be amongst their seven-man line-up...Despite this, BMC, who recently achieved ProTeam status, will send a strong team, which includes the likes of Alessandro Ballan, Alexander Kristoff and new recruit Amael Moinard.
- CyclingNews.

Andrew


But Timothy Roe the local boy gets a gig for BMC, rode for UniSA last year and Livestrong/Trek development squad
bongo
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby bionic wombat » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:06 pm

I am going to bite the bullet and do it and book it in this friday - is there "ticket' available for the 135km?
Image
bionic wombat
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Planet - Earth

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby ni78ck » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:38 pm

plenty available :D
Oppy Le Mauco - Dura Ace (wet weather bike)
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2
User avatar
ni78ck
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby The Womble » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Pretty disapointed that press accreditation has been refused for BikePure by the organisers. Aussie cycling could have made a real statement with that kind of support.
Still, Andy from BikePure is looking for volunteers to hand out wristbands at the Tour. Email him if you're keen or tweet him @BikePure
User avatar
The Womble
 
Posts: 3395
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Brisbane QLD

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby williamsf1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:42 am

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60332800 the GFs data trace....

Well the first day of final recon was done today... 107km loop!

checker hill is still a BIATCH! but to make matters worse it was undergoing road works! so 300m was covered in dirt!!! now that made it a challenge!!!

19% and dirt.... hmmmmmm
williamsf1
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby ni78ck » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:31 am

i think not knowing what to expect is best :shock: never been to adelaide!
Oppy Le Mauco - Dura Ace (wet weather bike)
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2
User avatar
ni78ck
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby williamsf1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:48 pm

doing part 2 2moro..... should be a good loop down to strath and back!!!!
williamsf1
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby bionic wombat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:25 am

williamsf1 wrote:http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60332800 the GFs data trace....

Well the first day of final recon was done today... 107km loop!

checker hill is still a BIATCH! but to make matters worse it was undergoing road works! so 300m was covered in dirt!!! now that made it a challenge!!!

19% and dirt.... hmmmmmm


they shaving off few degrees i.e gradient and resurface for us poor souls?
Image
bionic wombat
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Planet - Earth

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby Cycotic » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:26 am

bionic wombat wrote:
williamsf1 wrote:http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60332800 the GFs data trace....

Well the first day of final recon was done today... 107km loop!

checker hill is still a BIATCH! but to make matters worse it was undergoing road works! so 300m was covered in dirt!!! now that made it a challenge!!!

19% and dirt.... hmmmmmm


they shaving off few degrees i.e gradient and resurface for us poor souls?


Perhaps they're putting in escalators?
User avatar
Cycotic
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Adelaide, SA (Blackwood)

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby williamsf1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:11 am

no it looked like what I could gather as I was powering ( read in SHUT UP LEGS pain of massive proportions! ) as I rode by (trying to not spin the rear tyre or lift the front too high in the air) was that they were making the verge bigger...

i.e. most of it had been washed away with the rain, and some poor councillor probably thinks its likely that they will get sued by someone spectating the race....

also of note was that there is now a street sign saying "checker hill"

so sadly they have not knocked the top off the hill.... but the decent is pretty cool tho!!!

oh and for the record, did part 2 of the recon today.... and got from hanhdorf to strathalbyn return done nicely!!!

the decent from medows is going to be a FAST one..... and in the real race I think this will be the draw back to any breakaway!!!
williamsf1
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:20 am

I hope they make the verge softer. Just in case.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby Wino » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Well I tried Checker Hill for the first time (from the Forreston side - which will actually be the decent for the MCC). All i can say is OMFlyingspaghettimonster I think I broke an aorta!

There would be small sections in the hairpins which would probably be 45%+. I was lifting the front wheel off the ground, but the come to a grinding halt not able to push forward. Not moving forward means that the bike falls over! and too rooted to release from the pedals I just fell into the bank. None the less I think i have lots more training to do, and my expectation would be for the above experience to be somewhat common during the MCC so beware.

Perhaps next time I should try from the other side!
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black
User avatar
Wino
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Adelaide Hills, SA

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby williamsf1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:04 pm

yeah the front side is harder... sadly!!!

the good news is once you have made it to Hahndorf, it is pretty much a cruise from there....
williamsf1
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm doing another reccy on Sunday of the first half of the route, including Checkers. Probably going to be in the mid 30s according to the weather forecast, Oh Joy!
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby cuttsnake » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:30 pm

I did a short section of stage one this morning - up Blacktop Road and into Gawler. Can anyone tell me how Checker Hill compares with Blacktop for pain?
Gawler Loop via Blacktop
Cuttsy.

I've worked very hard to achieve this level of mediocrity.
User avatar
cuttsnake
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Windsor, NSW

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby williamsf1 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:39 pm

Yeah I'd say they are very similar in pain factor!! but checker just has some bits at a higher %.....
williamsf1
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist