New Members posting in the Market Place

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Members posting in the Market Place

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:57 am

ORIGINAL POST EDITED
For the curious, my original announced a strategy to deter brand new members from cluttering the market place.

The first strategy is ended and we will try other methods of keeping commercial posters and spammers from ruining the marketplace.

We simply ask new members who are fresh to the forum to read through the rules/guidelines before posting.
Last edited by AUbicycles on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycling is in my BNA

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:17 am

Cool!

Thanks Chris. I never know just how far to nudge these guys. It's nice to know a full-on shove over the edge is now sanctioned. Decorum still call for though. Prizes for the most cutting remarks? ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:23 am

on another forum i go on they limit the marketplace to members who have been registered for 3 months.....

on another, they limit it to forum members that have atleast 100 posts...

this stops most of the 'commercial' trading....

just some ideas ;o)

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:07 pm

I suggeest a post & time limit for members. say, over 30 posts AND over 1 month membership. Or something.

If it's urgent enough, and you haven't hit either limit yet (most likely the member time) then contact a mod and perhaps he can post it for you?

Just a suggestion.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:52 pm

Quoting the Rules for Posting in the Market Place, as posted in the Market Place on NOVEMBER 13
Dear newly registered member.
We are really happy to have you and would encourage you not to post your 'for sale' (WTS) bikes and parts here until you have been with us for a little while.

--

If you have less than 10 posts in the forum and post a WTS offer here, your post will be automatically deleted. The exception is if you email / PM a moderater and ask for and are granted approval.

--

This market place is for the benefit of forum members rather than stand alone market place. Take some time to get to know the forum first.. how we communicate here and then when the time is right, let us know what rare gems you have to sell.

Cheers
Christopher
Permission granted to blush boys :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:15 pm

I know that, Richard. Was suggesting a forum-controlled automatic lockout, rather than a moderator enforced ban. Kinda like the picture/URL time limit in place at the moment.

Would prevent any flaming, and put the onus on the member him/herself to participate actively before he/she is able to post, instead of posting, getting it flamed/deleted and potentially leaving the site unhappy.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:24 pm

If you can come up with the code that will do just that, feel free to get it together and forward it to Christopher. I can assure you, us mods would rather bask in the glory of the 'moderator' tag than have to do anything to earn it :oops:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Oh yeah, of course. Coding issues. Gotcha.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:32 pm

There probably is a code module that will do it. However installing these modifications (called phpbb mods) renders an upgrade of the forum software very hard to do as the mod has to be un-installed which usually breaks something.

Anyway, we need to keep Richard busy :D
There is only one BicycleWA.