6k Club. 2010 Edition. ****

Barto

Re: 6k Club. 2010 Edition. ****

Postby Barto » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Hope everyone's "Biking Day" is going well. By the look of the cricket they should have gone for a ride too :cry:

Hope the surgery goes well ColinOldnCranky.

Norbs that has definitely been a biking handicap. Hope you got out on the bike today.

I think I may have just edged ahead of sblack today...woo hoo :wink:
BMC SLR01
Masi Vincere
Specialized FSR Stumpjumper

velocity

Postby velocity » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:17 pm

I should be crossing over the line tomorrow morning with only 89 km to go ie. if it all goes to plan :)

Barto

Postby Barto » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Well done velocity :D Did you ride today? The wind here was interesting to say the least :shock:
BMC SLR01
Masi Vincere

velocity

Postby velocity » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:20 pm

Today I set off to do at least 89 km to meet my 6000 km target for the year, the guys decided to ride down to Safety Bay Road which means I'll be falling short of roughly 10 km so I had planned to extend my ride towards the end. The pace was a little too quick especially when the guy in front of me took the lead, he would increase the speed about 1-2 km/h which made me work quite hard to stay with him. By the time I got on the front and rode about 5 km trying to keep his pace up I was completely spent and fell off the back at the 64 km. The average at this point was around 33.8 km/h. I faded quite badly and felt like calling it quits when I was near my home but decided to soldier on to get 89 kms. Over estimated the distance and had a thought of getting a century but I just didn't want it bad enough. Anyway total distance covered 93.02 km (AT) 30.4 km/h - See you in 2011 :wink:

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:41 pm

Congratulations on passing the 6k mark velocity.
Barto wrote:I think I may have just edged ahead of sblack today...woo hoo :wink:
Yes, it appears you have got back ahead and assuming you have a ride from today yet to be added you should have also just beaten me to the 7k mark. It's proving an elusive barrier for me at the moment with several planned rides to get there unable to be completed. The first was Christmas Eve, finishing work early I should have had 3 to 4 hours before needing to pick Noah up from day care which I figured would have been enough to get me past the 7k mark but unfortunately he developed a 24 hour bug so no day care, no ride and a sick little boy to worry about. Christmas and Boxing Day where both going to be difficult to find time to ride but things were looking good for me to tow Noah (now completely over his bug) along for an evening ride on Boxing Day. This time the weather beat me as about half an hour before we were due to head off it started pouring, and didn't stop until after he was in bed asleep. So this morning I try heading off with Noah again but only get a short one in before the rain starts again and I have to abort. That left me with maybe just enough time to get the kilometres in before my wife had to head for work so I head off to try again and this time a flat stops me. Changing that took precious time and also alerted me to the fact that I only had the one (now used) spare. With my run of luck I decided not to test it any further and headed home to try again tomorrow.

Barto

Postby Barto » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 pm

Ahh well done velocity, that should have you over the mark. Sounds like a decent pace too. Catch you next year :D

That's some bad luck there sblack. Yep crossed the 7k mark today and pretty happy with that. Have had parents staying so have had built in child care, which has meant there hasn't been much in the way of riding. And the weather in Perth...can't remember what rain is :( :D Will probably start missing a few days now :cry:

How are you traveling Norbinator? Are you gonna make it?
BMC SLR01
Masi Vincere

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:40 pm

Barto wrote:Ahh well done velocity, that should have you over the mark. Sounds like a decent pace too. Catch you next year :D

That's some bad luck there sblack. Yep crossed the 7k mark today and pretty happy with that. Have had parents staying so have had built in child care, which has meant there hasn't been much in the way of riding. And the weather in Perth...can't remember what rain is :( :D Will probably start missing a few days now :cry:

How are you traveling Norbinator? Are you gonna make it?

Its like I have been living of Coon cheese for a week. No movement at all.

I intend to give it a shake as the reno is 95% done and they are all here. So I hope to get 50kms in tomorrow and keep doing that til the 31st.

I haven't given up yet. There is a little bit of life in this old dog yet.

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:08 am

Go norbs go. Cutting it fine but you can do it. I can just imagine you racing towards the new year as you clock up those final few kilometers.

Well done on the 7k Barto. Weather is looking reasonable over here today so I should be able to tow Noah along for the 7k milestone, the rest of the family might come along as well. Can't really complain about the rain lately though, it's been a while since we've had a wet December like this, would just be nice to be able to send some over your way instead of having drought on one side of the country while the other has floods.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:02 pm

managed 52km today to bring me to a grand total of 6010km!!!
It's your turn now Norbs!

The bike is officially retired for the year! Now where did I put that beer?
2010 BMC SLC01

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Well done hannos.

As for me I managed to get out with the kids and got about half the required kilometers for the 7k mark. Then got out for a ride on my own and clocked up the rest and a few to spare. Now if I can just fit in a couple more rides before the year is out I might be able to catch Barto again. :D

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Congrats Hannos old bean.

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:58 pm

So any riding progress norbs? Your journal is still showing 255 to go so hopefully you've got something yet to log otherwise it's time to get out and do a couple of century rides to get back on track.

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:33 pm

sblack wrote:So any riding progress norbs? Your journal is still showing 255 to go so hopefully you've got something yet to log otherwise it's time to get out and do a couple of century rides to get back on track.
I'm gone I think. A lazy 28kms today. Just too much happening with everyone here. :( I feel like I have let down the team.

Utedog

Postby Utedog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:22 am

norbs wrote:
sblack wrote:So any riding progress norbs? Your journal is still showing 255 to go so hopefully you've got something yet to log otherwise it's time to get out and do a couple of century rides to get back on track.
I'm gone I think. A lazy 28kms today. Just too much happening with everyone here. :( I feel like I have let down the team.
Yes, yes you have,you might need to surrender your gauntlet!

“ How can I keep both the BEER gods and the HEALTH gods happy at the same time???”

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:07 pm

That's a shame norbs. After starting this club which has helped inspire many of us to do more than we otherwise would have it seams unfair for you to get so close but not make it.

Went up to Sydney with a couple of friends today who haven't done much riding for a while. Rode from Brighton to Homebush Bay along the Cooks River Cycleway. Was my first ride on the cycleway and I must say it's quite a pleasant ride along there and a nice easy flatish one for the guys just getting back into it. Lunch at Lillies and some exploring around SOP including on of the spiral hill things and the ring walk over the old brickpit before heading back made for a great day out on a fine summer's day. Also got me back ahead of Barto again, got any riding planned before the end of the year Barto? How much do I need to do to stay ahead? Forecast is for more good weather so I should be able to get a few more ks in yet.

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Oh the joy. We were doing a technical riding course in the backyard this arvo around tomato stakes and buckets. Was loads of fun until one of the kids put the broom handle into the spokes and I flew off. Doctor suspects a broken collarbone! I am not going for Xrays until next week though. :) I have broken the left collarbone twice before and it is no where near as bad. It doesn't feel too bad, so I will see how I go tomorrow. I have been given a leave pass tomorrow and the next day, and need about 80km on both days. Fingers and toes crossed.

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Gee norbs, doesn't sound too good about the collar bone. Hopefully it's not broken and not causing you too much pain as you try and get your rides in. Hope it heals up nice and quickly too.

Barto

Postby Barto » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Geez Norbs, I swear there must be a black cat stuck in the treads of your trusty steed :( talk about a bad run of luck. Hope it all mends well.

sblack I think I will have to bow out and tip my hat to you. Been struck down with the lurgi since evicting all my house guests. Here I was thinking that would leave me a clear run of days up to the new year to turn the screws on you 8) I am hoping that I can get one more ride in tomorrow but that would still leave me short. My shout next time we catch up :D
BMC SLR01
Masi Vincere

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:40 pm

After an hour in the surf this morning, I am confident it isn't broken, probably just badly bruised. Hoping to do a few kms this arvo.

I will pull up short, but it hasn't been through lack of effort, so I wont be devastated.

I will make an effort to get up and see Mr Black soon for a beer or two.

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:56 am

Hi 6k members,

Just a quick note of thanks to everyone for helping me achieve my goal (and then some) this year. I ended up doing almost an extra 1000km compared to 2009.

I hope you all have a good New Year's and will see you all in the new club in the middle of next week.

Tim

sblack

Postby sblack » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:14 am

Barto, shame about the lurgi, not the best way to finish off the year. Hope you're over it quick.

Norbs, good to hear it isn't broken. Catching up soon sounds good. If I remember rightly hannos has family down Nowra way too, maybe we should see when he's down there next and hopefully we can organise to meet up somewhere and go for a ride?

Think I did my final ride for the year yesterday. With Shazz wanting to take the kids shopping before visiting relatives in St Clair I thought it the perfect opportunity to do the M7 cycleway while there's no work being done on it. So I got dropped of at Camden Valley Way, rode to Old Windsor Rd and back to the M4 to head to St Clair and got there within 15 minutes of the rest of the family. Was a good workout being able to do a couple of hours of riding without having to stop for traffic lights, intersections etc. and the only traffic to worry about being other cyclists and a few joggers and walkers. So that ride helped push December out to my biggest month with 819.08 km and a year total of 7152.40.

A big thanks to norbs for getting this thread started and to everyone for their encouragement and friendly challenges helping push me further than I otherwise would have gone. Have a good new years and see you all in the 2011 thread soon.

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks to Barto for the early push to get pedalling towards 6K.

Thanks to all the other 2010 6K members for the banter within the thread. It has been tremendous fun and I feel like our little group has helped push quite a few blokes past the magical 6k, a terrific effort.

I was thinking of putting together a final tally, but it seems like all the green lines have stopped working now.

I was convinced to have an XRay this morning, yesterdays 30km ride being the reason. When I was riding it was getting worse and worse. To the point I had to cut the ride short. Went for a body surf with the family this morning and then to the docs. Turns out it is a hairline fracture, so small I couldn't see it on the XRay. The doctor said the longer I let it rest, the quicker it will heal. My suggestion of a few hours was dismissed. A week at least was suggested. Lets see how that goes. :)

Happy New Year to all the 6k'ers out there. May you rides be many and your winds be of the tailish variety.

Barto

Postby Barto » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:32 pm

Ahh Happy New Year you lot.

Big hats off to you Norbs :D . Inspirational stuff starting the whole 6K Club, and yes it has been a lot of fun. Thanks also to all for the motivation to ride when it didn't look so hot outside. I had no idea how fixated you could get on logging kays and keeping people at arms length :lol: Looking forward to doing it all again...so much so that I suffered a hangover and dodged piles of broken glass just to get some runs on the board this morning.

Congrats to all that made (or nearly made) their milestones and looking forward to mixing it up with you again. Hurry up and get better Norbs as I don't like throwing gauntlets at the injured :)

Cheers
Bart
BMC SLR01
Masi Vincere

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:20 pm

5085km. I'm pleased with that.

Thanks Norbs and everyone else for that extra motivation.

My advice to you Norbs is to rest it. It's only few weeks, you'll make it up easily.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle