The Heart Rate Thread

twizzle

Re: The Heart Rate Thread

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:15 pm

According to the ST homepage, it supports the 500. I guess you will have to search their forums. :)
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:25 pm

twizzle wrote:According to the ST homepage, it supports the 500. I guess you will have to search their forums. :)
I've joined garmin and sporttracks forums (not asked any questions yet, just searching) to try to get info but no luck so far.
I've spent a large part of today trying to get it to pick the unit up including loading a driver they said would work. No change yet.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Lo and behold. It is actually attempting to connect.
Same process I've been using all day. Might have a faulty lead or serial port.

Does the import usually take a long time; the blue line filled almost instantly but now it's been sitting for 5 minutes....bludging.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Only time that happened to me was when there was a problem with the Garmin which was fixed with a factory reset. It would stop, but you could (from memory) click on next or re-import and it would complete the import.

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:59 am

I found a problem with sports tracks was when trying to import more than three rides at a time it would freeze and drop out. Maybe this is your problem.
Yesterday was an easy day.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:58 am

brendancg wrote:I found a problem with sports tracks was when trying to import more than three rides at a time it would freeze and drop out. Maybe this is your problem.
I wish it was.

It still won't recognise the device.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Geez Louise!?

That was too bloody hard. :P :evil: :oops: :cry: :shock: :? 8)

"Import device" did not work after 6,000,000 attempts.

"Import folder" did. Instructions say (unless I can't read properly) to "import device."

Wife is amazed. She didn't know I read instructions (today confirms why men hate reading instructions) and is probably wondering stuff about me.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:08 pm

ireland57 wrote:Geez Louise!?

That was too bloody hard. :P :evil: :oops: :cry: :shock: :? 8)

"Import device" did not work after 6,000,000 attempts.

"Import folder" did. Instructions say (unless I can't read properly) to "import device."

Wife is amazed. She didn't know I read instructions (today confirms why men hate reading instructions) and is probably wondering stuff about me.
I'm confused too - isn't import folder used for importing data files already downloaded from the device? Or is the Edge 500 appearing as an attached drive with files?

Edit: O.K., answering my own question here, The Edge 500 and 705 both present as a storage device with files, the Edge 500 has *.FIT files which are imported directly into ST via the 'Folders' option. This is only on ST V3.*, as under 2.* it can't handle *.FIT files.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:25 pm

[quote="twizzleI'm confused too - isn't import folder used for importing data files already downloaded from the device? Or is the Edge 500 appearing as an attached drive with files?

Edit: O.K., answering my own question here, The Edge 500 and 705 both present as a storage device with files, the Edge 500 has *.FIT files which are imported directly into ST via the 'Folders' option. This is only on ST V3.*, as under 2.* it can't handle *.FIT files.[/quote]

I'm glad you answered your question.......'cos I can't.

I do know that I have ST Version 3 and downloaded the files under "All import files."

Thanks for your help anyway.

I speak a different language than computers and struggle bigtime with the freakin' logic and the words they use.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Climbed Mt Stuart this morning. It's 9kms with a "saddle" at 4.5kms. I.e. it drops, climbs, drops and climbs again so you get to rest a little.
The sad bit is straight after the saddle as it's the steepest climb; it can be hard on the legs.

Humid weather; grades vary from 6% - 16%.

GPS shows during ride some grades as high as 16-17%; also it's known elevation is 670 metres.
Something not reading right there. The elevation at home is 5 m above sea level; GPS shows almost 50. How do I change that?

I was shagged when I got home and shouldn't have been. I think even though I ate 1/2 a oat bar at the top and a bit of gel at the saddle it may not have been enough. I also drank a bottle of water and another of powerade 75%/water 25%.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Elevation is set at startup by 3D GPS, after that it uses barometric pressure. And try and show your rides by time rather than distance, slow speeds compress the area of the graph that you are probably most interested in.

As for 'fuel' - that's individual. I did a ride on the weekend, ~65km, and had ~ 3lt of drinks on the way - 2.2lt powerade plus 750ml of milk. And a bar. But I did burn over 7000Kj on the ride, according to the power meter.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks for that.

See what you mean about the distance scrunching figures.

I've got to learn to eat and drink more on the bike.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:54 am

How do I read these TRIMP scores? And what do they mean?

I have only recently used a Garmin Edge 500 and the scores look a little ugly. Maybe as I’m only starting?

A ride I did on Sat am which felt good but I think I’m still paying for was as follows.

E.g.

TRIMP 299

TSB -45

Dist/Time 78 kms/3hrs

Ave Speed 26.4 kmh

Climb 600 metres ave 9 %

Ave HR 142/75% Max HR 177/93%

CTL 29

ATL 81

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:36 am

It's all relative to the rider, but it give you a training value score based on time at various HR zones. You therefore need to tune the TRIMP table to match your HR range.

You accumulate stress (ATL) over a short period of time (default ~ 7 days), your 'fitness' (CTL) is based on your training over a longer period (~ 42 days), and your stress balance (TSB) or 'form' is the difference between between your fitness and your stress. The default periods (7/42) are 'averages', and reflect recovery time and training adaptation time. The 42 probably won't change much (it's just six weeks in reality), but the 7 days may be too short for an older rider or too many days for a young rider. Having too long as a recovery time means you won't built fitness as quickly as you won't train as hard.

The value is that you can pick a target weekly training stress and then see if you are achieving your goals. You can also see how your training value can be achieved by either long rides at lower intensity or short rides at higher intensity. Base fitness (long rides at endurance level) are VERY important, without that base fitness you can't maintain form for very long.

The TSB (form) number reflects how hard you are pushing the training, with true TSB numbers the recommendation is to maintain TSB at about -10 to -15 for long term CTL growth, and not to go below -25 as this could result in injury/sickness. And, obviously, there will be a level of CTL you can maintain without burning out.

At the end of the day - It's all relative, but with lots of data you will be able to see a pattern of when you ride well or when you ride badly and start to see what CTL and TSB numbers apply to you, the individual rider.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Many Thanks for the explanation.

In reality if a 3hr (at 75% ave HR) session leaves me feeling tired for a couple of days do I stay with that level or do I ease off a bit so I can back up the next day (or day after) and ride at a similar level?

What's theoretically the best way to go with this?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 pm

ireland57 wrote:Many Thanks for the explanation.

In reality if a 3hr (at 75% ave HR) session leaves me feeling tired for a couple of days do I stay with that level or do I ease off a bit so I can back up the next day (or day after) and ride at a similar level?

That's a straight out training question, and I only know from books that the current thought is that progressive overload suggests going hard for two days on the same exercise before switching to a different exercise on the third day or resting. ie. you would do two days hill repeats before doing an endurance ride or a rest day. The 'old' way was to switch each day, ie. Sprints -> hills -> speed -> endurance -> rest.

BUT - if you have generated sufficient training stress from your 3hr at 75% (and was that 75% of HR Max, or 75% of HR range?), then you qualify for a recovery day. For me, three hours at 75% of HR range would put me somewhere around endurance/tempo level, and I would probably qualify for a day off, but 75% of HR Max is low end endurance and I wouldn't have a day off.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 am

twizzle wrote:
ireland57 wrote:Many Thanks for the explanation.

That's a straight out training question, and I only know from books that the current thought is that progressive overload suggests going hard for two days on the same exercise before switching to a different exercise on the third day or resting. ie. you would do two days hill repeats before doing an endurance ride or a rest day. The 'old' way was to switch each day, ie. Sprints -> hills -> speed -> endurance -> rest.

BUT - if you have generated sufficient training stress from your 3hr at 75% (and was that 75% of HR Max, or 75% of HR range?), then you qualify for a recovery day. For me, three hours at 75% of HR range would put me somewhere around endurance/tempo level, and I would probably qualify for a day off, but 75% of HR Max is low end endurance and I wouldn't have a day off.
It was 75% max HR.
The TRIMP thingo said "Epic/High." I am in the midst of reworking my training and am having some difficulty sorting out what's a "good ride" without leaving me wrecked. It's more miss than hit at present but it'll sort out soon.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:25 pm

i did a 26km time trial this morning,
average heart rate 91% of max :oops:
it felt quick, but in reality was pretty slow :oops: :oops: humidity and wind did not help :?
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 pm

ireland57 wrote: It was 75% max HR.
The TRIMP thingo said "Epic/High." I am in the midst of reworking my training and am having some difficulty sorting out what's a "good ride" without leaving me wrecked. It's more miss than hit at present but it'll sort out soon.
Ignore the "Epic/High" until you have sorted out the zones. I used my own HR zone ranges (Select View->Categories->HR Zones, create a new category), about nine of them from memory, then I assigned a TRIMP score to each of those HR zones under Training Load (Settings->Plugins->Training Load, select 'single zone' and edit the score for each HR zone). My memory is a bit hazy, but I think there is a table somewhere on TrainingPeaks which allows you to estimate TSS from HR zones. Might have been this, but I can't remember.

MAJOR FREEBIE FOLLOWS.

I set HR zones for every 5BPM from 125 to 170 then infinity, called ZoneA thru ZoneK. The following Factors for my HR zones at the time (max HR ~ 175 back then, now it's over 180) gave me a pretty close approximation to a TSS score. My resting HR was around 50.

Code: Select all

HR        Factor
0-125     0.6
125-130   0.8
130-135   0.9
135-140   1
140-145   1.1
145-150   1.3
150-155   1.5
155-160   1.666
160-165   1.9
165-170   2.1
170-Infinity 2.333

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks I'll see what I can work out.

/\ |_ |

Postby /\ |_ | » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 am

If you ever wanted to know how your Garmin calculates calories using heart rate, from DCrainmaker

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/11/how- ... armin.html

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Maxed my heart rate at 193 on a squash court a few weeks back. twas fun, i'm 38 years old.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 am

ireland57 wrote:Lo and behold. It is actually attempting to connect.

Does the import usually take a long time; the blue line filled almost instantly but now it's been sitting for 5 minutes....bludging.
This can happen also if you have a lot of activities on the actual device.
Also the Garmin Communicator Plugin is known for it's bugs and limitations when importing.
Here's a thread from the ST Forums discussing the process: linky

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 pm

clack3rz wrote:

Also the Garmin Communicator Plugin is known for it's bugs and limitations when importing.
Waaaaaay behind. ireland57 was trying to import into SportsTracks as a device when he instead needed to access it as a folder.

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:25 pm

twizzle wrote:
clack3rz wrote:

Waaaaaay behind. ireland57 was trying to import into SportsTracks as a device when he instead needed to access it as a folder.
Yeah I know :oops:
thought that after I posted it and re-read the continuing discussion......
anyway back to normal programming