Important Announcement - NEW Forum Policy

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Important Announcement - NEW Forum Policy

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:38 am

Dear Members and Guests,

In 2011 the moderation team of the BNA Australian Cycling Forums is taking a new approach to moderating the forums.

The good news is that we already have an overwhelming majority of great members who participate well and contribute to this knowledge pool. The bad news is that in 2010 the overall forum policy has been repeatedly challenged by a minority and there has been an increase in aggravation and flaming and our family friendly policy is becoming blurred. This is going to change and we ask for your support to help us improve the quality of the forum.

What will happen?
• The Guidelines are now called the Forum Rules and the moderation team will enforce these.
• If a member breaches the forum rules, action will be taken. A breach is a breach and will no longer be an invitation to complain, reinterpret the rules or repost infringing content.
• We ask members to use the REPORT button more often. Moderators already participating in a thread will also use the report button so that other mods can then review and take action.

Specifically
No more borderline content / images / language
If it is not appropriate for four years old, eight year olds, 12 year olds, 80 year olds etc, then it should not be posted. This is not to be confused with being conservative, rather for mature or sexually suggestive content, this is not the right platform, this type of content can be shared elsewhere.

No more swearing - specifically avoiding the word censor
For intelligent communication and exchange, swearing is not needed and it has recently been taken out of proportion on this forum with active avoidance of the word censor using ! * & % etc etc. It has the same meaning, is not appropriate for a family audience and is not required for intelligent discussion.

No more flaming
State that you disagree, outline your arguments but don't challenge another person with insults or cloaked insults.

No more time wasting complaints which are there just to argue a point
When a standard report is insufficient, formal reports for discussion can now be posted in the BNA / ACF Solution Centre inside the forum feedback section. Additionally a thread is been set up in which the forum policy and rules can be discussed constructively.

Clarity on the role of moderaters
There is continuing misunderstanding and criticism of moderaters and their role, this is an introduction to the role of moderaters so you know what they do. Please review the Forum Rules which have been updated.

We realise that the forum policy will not suit everyone, it is however aimed to suit the broadest possible audience and unite us in cycling.

For the vast majority who know this already, thank you for patience and I hope we can count on your support of the moderation team.
Lets have a positive and rich year for 2011. Happy New Year.

Christopher (Admin) and the moderation team
Learn Share Love Cycling
Cycling is in my BNA

hiflange

Re: Important Announcement - NEW Forum Policy

Postby hiflange » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:50 am

Hi Chris and Mods,

First of all Happy New Year!
BNA is already a great forum in which to participate in large part to the great guidelines and wonderful (and I'm sure largely unseen) work of the moderators. The new policy will not hurt any genuine participant or thread.
See you in 2011!
Rob

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:28 am

This will be a hit for 2011! Happy New Year!

I think this is the practical way forward, one that can better support the objectives of the web site/forum. Good one...
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:16 am

Good stuff, Chris and mods. Moderating a busy forum can't be easy, but I reckon the mods here at BNA have the right approach. Keep it up, guys :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:15 am

Good move. Gets the thumbs up from me.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:22 am

Pffft whatever

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:37 am

Good idea :) and Happy New Year!

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Sounds fine to me!

Regarding the issue on swearing and censorship - what about removing the offensive acronyms that seem to have become an integral part of e-culture? Personally I think that if you wouldn't use them in a professional, corporate, or family environment, then they shouldn't be used here. Using an offensive acronym is no different to using a filter mask. The code is different, but the message is still the same.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Dont be shocked... A number of posts that were discussing forum policy have been moved here: Forum Policy and Rules discussion - particularly on swear words and multiple accounts
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:10 pm

A few more posts were moved across to the forum policy section

It is best if we keep the discussion on these items in that section as it is ongoing and feedback and responses will be made there.
Cycling is in my BNA

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks Chris et al. Keep up the good work, it's great to have a place for info and comment where I feel safe if the elder manys are watching over my shoulder. I confess, Ihave been guilty of avoiding the censor and will amend my ways.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:40 pm

AUbicycles wrote:If it is not appropriate for four years old, eight year olds, 12 year olds, 80 year olds etc, then it should not be posted.
Had a bit of that in one of my older threads, even though some people found it amusing, it wasn't my type of comdey ;). Thanks for your time and effort in enforcing the new rules.

Isaac.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Hats off to you guys/gals for giving your time. :)
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Westgarth

Postby Westgarth » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:22 am

Strewth! No more malarkey from me then!

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:55 pm

ummm seeking clarification your honour....

I'm guessing this applies to linked content also?
i.e. if i post a youtube vid with potty mouth - then it should be deleted?

Although its external content - its being accessed "through" the forums & thus comes under the banner?

Big thumbs up!
It really helps keep forums alive & not being over run with Journalists from the Telegraph...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:13 am

Nate wrote:ummm seeking clarification your honour....

I'm guessing this applies to linked content also?
i.e. if i post a youtube vid with potty mouth - then it should be deleted?

Although its external content - its being accessed "through" the forums & thus comes under the banner?
Hi

Good question Nate ... these videos however are usually reactions in stressful situations and sometimes the sound help explains the situation ... Hard one to call in my view. I killed the sound in my last one but with the sound it gives a better sense of the drama of the situation.

Andrew
Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 am

Strictly speaking, if it contained naughty words then it would be grounds to remove the link - possibly warn a member (depending upon the severity).

Unless the content is reported, realistically it would be then chance that it is found and action is taken. Rule of thumb is to avoid when possible. I completely understand that on the streets a broader more colourful vocabulary is used though if we make exceptions we get into the problem of grey areas and arguments with mod decisions (claims of favoritism).
Cycling is in my BNA

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:39 am

And if you are unsure, you can always PM a moderator and ask prior to posting it.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.