Repco Cruiser build - New pics

larren

Repco Cruiser build - New pics

Postby larren » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:00 pm

I'd been planning to get one of the Repco Cruisers from Big W for a build, and when they were on special for $78 a month ago, I picked up a couple.

Here's the first one - Rattlecan Ford green with a couple of coats of clear and a Turtle Wax polish, Electra Fatti-O 24 x 3 rear tyre, triple tree forks from BikeWorld USA, Brooks B17, cut down Wald handlebars (came off an old Malvern Star ladies). 3 piece cranks with sealed BB. Rides real nice.

Before

Now
Last edited by larren on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkelsen

Re: Repco Cruiser build

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:53 am

That came up pretty nice. Good job!

Glenno

Postby Glenno » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Looks good mate, how long did that take you?

larren

Postby larren » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:51 am

Glenno wrote:Looks good mate, how long did that take you?
Thanks Glenno and rkelson. I had collected all the parts before I got the bike. I pulled it down and painted it over a day, then let the paint cure for a week, then waxed it, plus an hour or so for reassembly.

Wild Turkey

Postby Wild Turkey » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Well done. Simple and effective!

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 pm

I reckon it needs a guard over that rear wheel, Fitted as close as possible.
Andrew

Wild Turkey

Postby Wild Turkey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:04 am

and a skinny on the front.

lualcot

Postby lualcot » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Your bikes are tops!!! My wife bought myself a black and red cruiser from Big W for Xmas. Found the bike made a clicking sound when riding then the bike made a crack when cycling up a hill. Felt like chain had slipped. Took rear wheel off and checked rear wheel cassette. Now can't get the damn thing back together!!! Any ideas of where I can get some help on the net to replace the cassette. $78 bike means I would rather have a crack at replacing the cassette myself.
Cheers

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:12 pm

larren wrote:I'd been planning to get one of the Repco Cruisers from Big W for a build, and when they were on special for $78 a month ago, I picked up a couple.
ARGH! I was waiting for this opportunity!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

larren

Postby larren » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:47 pm

I wasn't 100% happy with the black rim/whitewall look, and fitted a set of all black tyres. I'm likin' it much better :D .

Also started on the other one. Sachs Duomatic rear hub, Sachs Orbit V front hub, Brooks B17 (I love these saddles), Nitto Promenade bars, Sun Rims Double Wide rims, Electra Vintage Diamond 26 x 2.35 tyres. Gonna cut off the chaingaurd mounts, and fit a different set of forks then get it powdercoated Gloss Black, so it'll probably take another month or so til it's finished. I'll post some finished pics then.

Dummied up to see how it looks.

rkelsen

Re: Repco Cruiser build - New pics

Postby rkelsen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Agree about the white walls on the green one.

The black one is friggin' awesome!

The only thing I'd change on either of them is that I'd give 'em a bit more seatpost...

RosscoG

Postby RosscoG » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:56 pm

I would have to disagree with losing the whitewalls!
It suited it with just that little touch of "over the top" in my opinion. Saying that, I think that is about the only bike I have really liked the look of white walls on.
I even re-looked at a cruiser I got offered free a while ago because of this pic.

Each to their own of course. I have proven many times over to myself that my tastes are not a standard.

markusm

Postby markusm » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:53 pm

lualcot wrote:Your bikes are tops!!! My wife bought myself a black and red cruiser from Big W for Xmas. Found the bike made a clicking sound when riding then the bike made a crack when cycling up a hill. Felt like chain had slipped. Took rear wheel off and checked rear wheel cassette. Now can't get the damn thing back together!!! Any ideas of where I can get some help on the net to replace the cassette. $78 bike means I would rather have a crack at replacing the cassette myself.
Cheers
I had the exact same problem! Bought mine on Xmas eve (not on special though, I paid about $170). Had wanted one for ages, thought they looked cool for the price.

Rushed home to put it together, first ride and i had the EXACT same problem. I took it back to Big w on boxing day and they tried every possible avenue to not refund the money, they wanted to send it away to be repaired but im not happy with that. The woman said "how do i know you didnt fall off and cause that damage" :evil:

Anyway, i finally got my money back, was told it was a one off case and just thought, oh well, you do pay for what you get.

larren

Postby larren » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Unfortunately, most of these bikes seem to be assembled with little or no grease. I only use the frames and throw the rest away, so it doesn't really bother me.
A work colleague bought herself a ladies version when they were on sale and after a couple of rides, she told me it was starting to "click", so I got her to ride it into work and I checked it out for her. The Bottom Bracket was loose, so I pulled it down and found it to be dry, and one of the bearing cages was bent. Grabbed a couple of new bearings from the LBS and rebuilt it. Also checked the coaster brake hub.......dry, and so was the headset :( .

Crank

Postby Crank » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Hell yeah.. not bad at all you do have a good taste on seats the ones you can sit on and not the ones that you loose up your crack...: D: D black tires all around as long as you keep them fat.
I all so have came across bikes that have been assembled with little grease i even had some with missing bearings.. :shock:

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Very nice work, personally I think the green one looked great with the whitewalls. Are they the stock rims just painted black or is it a whole new wheelset? And if you don't mind me asking, how much do you think you spent after the new forks, tyres, cranks etc?

larren

Postby larren » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 pm

cray- wrote:Very nice work, personally I think the green one looked great with the whitewalls. Are they the stock rims just painted black or is it a whole new wheelset? And if you don't mind me asking, how much do you think you spent after the new forks, tyres, cranks etc?
Thanks. I had the wheels built. The rear is a 24" SunRims Rhyno Lite laced to a coaster hub and the front is a 26" SunRims ?? (not sure what type). Both were NOS from my LBS and they built them for me at a very good price. Here's a list of costs:

Frame - $78
Wheels - $150
Rear tyre - $ 44 (including shipping from the U.S.)
Saddle - $140
Sealed BB - $30
Grips - $20
Paint - $60
Fork - $80 (including shipping from the U.S.)

So, about $600. All other parts such as bars, cranks, pedals, stem, front tyre etc, I already had (most of them came from dump shop or free bikes).

sneak880

Postby sneak880 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Very impressive work larren....
Great write up too.

sneak880

Postby sneak880 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Impressive work with the bikes there larren, and a nice write up too.

I sent the link to this post to my brother and by this afternoon he
had got me to pick up one of these cruisers from Big W at my home town,
as his local store was out..... $98 is the current price for the simpler
Repco branded one. Here is a pic, as purchased (right click new tab)
I have added grease to a number of fittings, as per your recommendation,
at least for the time being.

Wonder what he will come up with for the new build ?

Thanks again for your posts....