Good fitness routes in Adelaide

DeAnne

Good fitness routes in Adelaide

Postby DeAnne » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:26 pm

I am currently riding approximately 30km 2-3 days a week to and from school either along the express way track or down the cove road. I would like to start riding other routes that will increase further my level of strength and fitness. Are there any suggestions for places to go either down south (noarlunga) or up north (tea tree gully)?

betterthanwalking

Re: Good fitness routes in Adelaide

Postby betterthanwalking » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Riding down to Noarlunga would work. You can go as far as McVale if you feel inclined. Just be mindful of the wind if you don't rate yourself strong in the legs. A quick blast down there, can be misery on the way back.
There's plenty of hills down south, so no need to go to Tea Tree for that.

Catch a Saturday morning ride with Tailwind from the shop. All the rides are done for 9am and 30K is the usual distance give or take a bit.

You can improve your fitness by doing more distance or riding faster. Throwing hills in helps too for that particular discipline.

The worst thing you could do is run out of fluid and energy, so plan your rides accordingly. 2 bottle should be plenty up to 30degrees but if you are pushing into the wind a couple of gels would be a good safety net.

Gavin

you cannot be sirrus

Re: Good fitness routes in Adelaide

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:25 pm

I ride the Veloway to Noarlunga or McLaren Vale a couple of times a week, no better training route IMO down south, no cars, few pedestrians, enough inclines to get a work out. If you want to extend the ride continue to Willunga Hill or return home via Clarendon, a choice of hills to climb from there. Also consider hill repeats on the hill from Darlngton, that should get the fitness up pretty quickly.