casual riding shoes for strapped pedals?

emilmh

casual riding shoes for strapped pedals?

Postby emilmh » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:53 am

Hi,

Just got my bike to a riding stage (still a few finishing touches to do) and have had a few short rides on the road.

I have pedals with single straps, and I'm using some adidas jogging sneakers/trainers to ride with. ( Like this stylehttps://www.shoesontheweb.com/store/cat ... G00182.jpg) I have found that the shoes soles are quite wide and make it difficult to fit into the straps easily, as well as having difficulty getting a nice solid grip on the pedal (again due to the size of the shoe). I have compared the trainers to another pair of casual shoes i have (adidas supestars http://fantasy4040.com/wp-content/uploa ... erstar.jpg) and was surprised to find that these were not much narrower, despite not having the sole 'flare' out like the trainers.

I don't want to buy clip on riding shoes because I won't be riding much and they cost too much, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on cheap casual shoes which are good for riding.

I have been thinking about the 'sailor' type canvas shoes like these http://www.landaustore.co.uk/images/foo ... -18729.jpg? they look quite narrow and streamlined?

Kingfisher

Re: casual riding shoes for strapped pedals?

Postby Kingfisher » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Try a pair of Dunlop Volley sneakers, they come in an assorted range of white or black, cost next to nothing and no one will mug you for them, plus they double as a poor mans tennis shoe. However they are not as fancy as your nike ones....

Clownshoes

Postby Clownshoes » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Volleys are a little soft for long distances unless your pedals have a large platform. But I still use 'em. :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

emilmh

Postby emilmh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Kingfisher wrote:Try a pair of Dunlop Volley sneakers, they come in an assorted range of white or black, cost next to nothing and no one will mug you for them, plus they double as a poor mans tennis shoe. However they are not as fancy as your nike ones....
No chance I will be buying the nike shoes, I'm too cheap for that. I will see what Kmart have that are similar to volleys.
Mulger bill wrote:Volleys are a little soft for long distances unless your pedals have a large platform. But I still use 'em. :oops:
What do you consider long rides? and do you use straps on your pedals?

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:55 pm

I ride in volleys, even on 100km+ rides. But as stated it's better if you have platform type pedals. My shoes have a pedal imprint, but for brakeless riding I like to feel my pedals and straps, so that's why I use thinner shoes.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Was in a similar boat a few months back. I do ride clipless, but like the versatility of the ol' clips & straps for general use. I had for a long time been using my Blundstone slip on workboots also as a casual shoe, but when their sole eventually wore out I went on the hunt for something a little less rugged & heavy; I shied away from the Volleys for similar reasons as stated; basically wanting a little more rigid sole being used to that with my cleated Road & MTB shoes.

I steeled myself and wandered in and out of a few skate & surf shops looking for something, but eventually got a pair on sale from Colorado at an OK price with a relatively smooth & stiff sole. I also ride fixed and so I also cut a section out of the laces to get minimal "dangle" when tied. I made a note of the usable new length and replaced them with new whole laces once the the knot in the middle started to fail ;)

My advice; bide your time and just try a few different shops and look to see what's around that appeals and snaffle up when the price is right. Shoes aren't the sort of thing I'd buy online without really knowing a brand & models sizing first.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:23 pm

I ride in Dunlop Volleys - the white ones are best in summer, the black ones mean you end up with hot feet... they are relatively thin soled so you get a good connection with the pedals. I can't ride in running shoes because there is too much squish. X-training type shoes might be better.

I used to ride in skater shoes - I had a pair of white Etnies for ages that I got for $50 in a sale. They were good too but not as breathable as the vollies.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:13 pm

I generally ride in sneakers on the dodgy fixie with straps, but was in a hurry the other day and took off in a pair of Redback boots. Much better. Not as wide, less decoration on 'em to catch on stuff.

Skater shoes (Vans or a ripoff of those) or volleys would be better, will definitely be buying some volleys (K-mart have them in other colours than black and white and they aren't all that expensive). I'd like a set of checkerboard Vans but feel that at 40+ I'd look ridiculous rocking the Spicoli look.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Wee Jock

Postby Wee Jock » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Volleys and Vans slip-ons are good. But for something different maybe try Toms, they're good quality slip-ons, almost like socks with soles, so no probs getting them into your straps. You can get them on line, and for every pair you buy, one goes to third world kiddies as well, which is nice.

WJ

nathann

Postby nathann » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:00 pm

Vans are the best. I used to wear Authentics while riding until they got stolen...
The soles are pretty thick too.

hondaboy

Postby hondaboy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:17 pm

+1 for Volleys, I have a pair in black and white depending on my mood :lol:
2009 Merida Race Lite 904
2008 Avanti Pista
2007 Giant Trance 1
1994 Nashbar Tandem Sold
1980s Raleigh fixie Sold

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 pm

I used to wear Volleys with toe clips all the time, now it's just the shopper.
IME, 40 kms was my limit.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

y3ntil

Postby y3ntil » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 am

+1 for vans slip ons, i have 4 pairs now with two with serious holes but still comfy as anthing, and if your lucky you can gett'em cheap off "le bay"
N+1 is nowhere near enough!

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:56 pm

if youre riding so long that youre feet are hurting in your volleys, you need cycling shoes.
so, buy some volleys.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

I pretty much ride exclusively in cons. Bit more exxy than volleys but they are my 'going out' cycling shoe. Very style appropriate for the average kidult:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Taylor_All-Stars

I find they have quite a firm sole and the laces can be made quite tight so they don't flop around on your feet at all. Also, they are don't scream 'bike' when you aren't on it.I have a leather pair which do well in wettish weather as they don't soak up so much moisture as the canvas.

I wear volleys as well, but have only just noticed the canvas wearing through the top of the shoe. Time to get a new pair me thinks.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:15 pm

I have done 60k rides in volleys and my feet have been fine... it's only an issue when they start to wear out :P
the other disadvantage I found this morning, after wearing my fat-soled Tigers on the bike and putting the seat up, went to get on with the volleys and needed to adjust the seat again... cept mine requires an allen key and I'd already gotten half way to work... :P
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Another advocate of Vans. The soles of Volleys are too soft for my liking.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:03 am

I ride mostly in Vans but sometimes Tigers.

NZrider

Postby NZrider » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:14 am

Why not try some 510's and pinned flats like DMR's? Amazing combo!

larren

Postby larren » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 am

Steel cap Volley.......so you can do some damage when someone cuts you off :shock: .

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:50 pm

NZrider wrote:Why not try some 510's and pinned flats like DMR's? Amazing combo!
whassat eh, bro?

510s like the Blundies I referred to earlier?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.