From D grade to A Grade in 1 year?

TrackPete

Postby TrackPete » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi all new here.

I have a friend that thinks he could go from being a D grade rider to a A grade rider within one year.

We suggested he would have to Win an B,C,D grade race (Crit or Road) and at least finish in pack or even place in an A Grade race.

Going along with it I was going to write a bi-monthly article for a cycling mag so all can follow. I know the editor well.

However

a ) do people believe with the right training that someone could actually do this?
b ) would you be interested in follow the progress of someone doing this?
c ) is the criteria good or should have have to win an A grade race?

History on him. He hasn't trained for a few years. He used to do triathlons and was handy. Last weekend he did a D grade crit and got dropped. :P

Thoughts.

Apple

Re: From D grade to A Grade in 1 year?

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Sure I am interested, but not sure for how long. :D
Good luck to your mate.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Easily done.

Be an A-grader, rock up to a club that doesn't know you for the first race, smoke D grade by 3 laps.

Next week B grade, smoke B grade by 1 1/2 laps.

Next week A grade.

If you are a genuine D grade then you will not make it in a year (Particularly if you have not crit raced before and got dropped first race). Season is too short for the progress. Do the summer crits and winter road races, keep training then start off the first series of new races in B-C grade, that will keep it in the same calendar year.

Currently he would actually be too dangerous in the faster grades.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

philip

Postby philip » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Probably depends on the person, I doubt he could get to club A grade in a year, if he's young/fit/talented then I think it may be possible with the right training, but for your average bloke I'd say no. I had already been riding (mostly JRA) for about a year before I started racing, first race C grade, got 3rd place, from then on did B grade races for nearly a year, was doing ok in them so now I race club A grade. I put in a fair bit of riding to get to this stage and started off with a good base and only just made it within a year.

othy

Postby othy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 pm

As Redbull said, the only way this would be done is if he has A-grade fitness already (or once upon a time) but has never raced.

Different races also have different grading. Are you talking Open A grade or Club A grade? Even between club races the standard of A grade varies dramatically.

TrackPete

Postby TrackPete » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:52 pm

He is currently genuine D grade.

But I think he could get to a C grade win at Footscray or St Kilda pretty fast. No way at CCCC.

It's getting a win in B that will be the tough bit.

I also doubt he could do it. He thinks he can.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:53 pm

TrackPete wrote:He is currently genuine D grade.

But I think he could get to a C grade win at Footscray or St Kilda pretty fast. No way at CCCC.

It's getting a win in B that will be the tough bit.

I also doubt he could do it. He thinks he can.
Post a picture of him, and I will tell you if he can do it. :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Apple wrote: Post a picture of him, and I will tell you if he can do it. :wink:
FPR Ragamuffin

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Chuck wrote:
Apple wrote: Post a picture of him, and I will tell you if he can do it. :wink:
Yes he can do it, I will send you my address so that I can train him up

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:10 pm

If that's how he's planning on going attired, he may just have a chance. :x

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:19 pm

No way - one look and he will get dropped because NOBODY will want to draft that.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:23 pm

drubie wrote:No way - one look and he will get dropped because NOBODY will want to draft that.
I will draft.

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:36 pm

You say that now Apple, but you'll get a whiff of "real men only wash on Thursdays" or spot a few "roadie grapes" and it'll end in tears.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 pm

TrackPete wrote:Hi all new here.

I have a friend that thinks he could go from being a D grade rider to a A grade rider within one year.

We suggested he would have to Win an B,C,D grade race (Crit or Road) and at least finish in pack or even place in an A Grade race.

Going along with it I was going to write a bi-monthly article for a cycling mag so all can follow. I know the editor well.

However

a ) do people believe with the right training that someone could actually do this?
b ) would you be interested in follow the progress of someone doing this?
c ) is the criteria good or should have have to win an A grade race?

History on him. He hasn't trained for a few years. He used to do triathlons and was handy. Last weekend he did a D grade crit and got dropped. :P

Thoughts.
Troy Bayliss pretty much managed to achieve what your friend thinks he can do.

He had the dedication, time and money to achieve this though.

Zabriskie19

Postby Zabriskie19 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:56 am

I did this in eight months and went from E to A grade :) .

but I supose I'm only young (AT) 16 so I've got that on my side.
If though he is a genuine middle aged D grader I highly doubt that he could achieve this goal i think he should be more realistic and maybe target to be competive In B grade by this time next year. that going on last race getting droped in D grade which averages only averages 35/36kmh ish while B grade useually does low 40's I just can't see him doing it especially at strong clubs like you said he would be racing at St kilda and Footscray.
dropping wheels.

I'm a rider not a bike mechanic

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 am

drubie wrote:You say that now Apple, but you'll get a whiff of "real men only wash on Thursdays" or spot a few "roadie grapes" and it'll end in tears.
You win,
Got a mental picture,
:shock:

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:06 am

Apple wrote:
drubie wrote:You say that now Apple, but you'll get a whiff of "real men only wash on Thursdays" or spot a few "roadie grapes" and it'll end in tears.
You win,
Got a mental picture,
Yeah, I'm sorry about that, but that photo above is a stark reminder why second hand saddles are a bad idea :lol:

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:10 pm

I started racing (after a 20 year layoff) in "D" grade just over 2 months ago and I'm just about to race my first "B" grade race. That gives me just under 10 months to get to "A" grade. I still doubt I'll get there though as the next step is massive. I'll be glad to be competetive in "B" grade in 10 months time. I might add that this is with Southern Vets....... however the "A" grade racing there is still some serious stuff with ex-world champs winning races.

So I reckon that it could be done with a non-vet' club, but it would mean that there would be little else other than training occupying your thoughts.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Apple wrote:
You win,
Got a mental picture,
But he might have a hairy chest and back? :mrgreen:

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:47 pm

I know a guy that went from D grade to B grade in a season in crits. I reckon the the back end of A would be possible.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Zabriskie19 wrote:I did this in eight months and went from E to A grade :) .

but I supose I'm only young (AT) 16 so I've got that on my side.
If though he is a genuine middle aged D grader I highly doubt that he could achieve this goal i think he should be more realistic
C'mon MAMILS, got to put this teenager in his place!
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Mean Machine

Postby Mean Machine » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:Troy Bayliss pretty much managed to achieve what your friend thinks he can do.
Troy was training more or less seriously since he was a teen. In the last few years he has been training quite a bit with top pro's in Monaco where he lives (on and off) and still tests for Ducati. And lastly, he didn't start in D grade, most likely in Masters A and as such, tried his legs at A grade club/open races when he felt he was ready without "making" it into A Grade. I don't think he won an A Grade open race yet. Masters State RR, yes and in the process he dropped a guy who probably thought he had it in the bag. Troy is a class act and I'm sure he will win an A Grade race sooner or later. You can't compare him to some delusional clown who thinks he can just sail through the grades as if he's the next Merckx or something.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Mean Machine wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:Troy Bayliss pretty much managed to achieve what your friend thinks he can do.
You can't compare him to some delusional clown who thinks he can just sail through the grades as if he's the next Merckx or something.
:lol: :lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Mean Machine wrote:
Troy was training more or less seriously since he was a teen. In the last few years he has been training quite a bit with top pro's in Monaco where he lives (on and off) and still tests for Ducati. And lastly, he didn't start in D grade, most likely in Masters A and as such, tried his legs at A grade club/open races when he felt he was ready without "making" it into A Grade. I don't think he won an A Grade open race yet. Masters State RR, yes and in the process he dropped a guy who probably thought he had it in the bag. Troy is a class act and I'm sure he will win an A Grade race sooner or later. You can't compare him to some delusional clown who thinks he can just sail through the grades as if he's the next Merckx or something.
Troy has improved incredibly since dedicating a huge amount of time to training - that was my point.

And off the top of my head Troy won A grade at Pimpama quite some time ago, and A grade at one of the Gold Coast Cycle series races.

Zabriskie19

Postby Zabriskie19 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:05 pm

Oh and I have nothing against old men, just with work kids? etc. it's harder to train and get kms for racing.

while being a teenager all you have is.. school? which at the moment we are all enjoying a eight week holiday :mrgreen:
dropping wheels.

I'm a rider not a bike mechanic