3 Star SS

larren

3 Star SS

Postby larren » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Here's my ratty 1954 3 Star I just put together.

I found it in a junkyard a couple of years ago, and have just gotten around to doing something with it. The frame had about 4 coats of house paint on it and a number of dents and scrapes. I decided to leave all the dents and scars unrepaired, stripped it to bare metal and sprayed it with red oxide primer.

The rear hub is a NOS Sachs Komet Super, the front is a NOS Sachs Orbit V , and they are laced to a set of used Mavic Open Pro 700c rims. I scrounged through my parts bins for the rest of the components. Tires are Schwalbe Cream Delta Cruisers. The BB is a sealed Shimano, and the cranks are Shimano 600. Bars are cut down Soma Noah's Arc, and the saddle is a San Marco Rolls.

Gearing is 42:18 which I have found to be a nice "urban" ratio, and still allows me to go on slightly longer rides without spinning too much.

Last edited by larren on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larren

Re: 3 Star SS

Postby larren » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Oxford wrote:believe it or not, I really like the paint job. as a kid I did a similar paint job on a bike, first ever paint job I did by myself, so looking at that brings back fond memories.

what size are the tyres, they look nice and chunky?

They're 700 x 35. Ride real nice with 60psi, and beefy enough for kerb hopping and shortcuts.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:51 pm

very nice, just needs a nice front rack i reckon 8)

flashrider

Postby flashrider » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 pm

by Oxford » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:24 pm

...believe it or not, I really like the paint job.
Plus one on that. What a cool build!! Do you think the frame was originally suited to 28 inch rims? The 700c/Cruiser combo looks ideal. Well done..
Projectus Distractus Maxima.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Lookin good! Diggin the fatter white tyres; though I am only really a fan of them on old veteran style bikes.

You almost fooled me with the crank until I reread your OP. With the single ring more neatly mounted on the outside of the double crank (and the pedal & shadows alternatively obscuring the Shimano 600 etching in the photos), I thought it was a a Sugino 75!

The seat post isn't crabon is it? I'd be giving it a stripping off & light polish if it aint - contrasts a bit too much with the rest of the build, imho.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.