Components bought online

feeltherush

Components bought online

Postby feeltherush » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi All,

The ongoing moral dilema continues... just wondering if anyone has come across any bike shops that are happy to fit bike components bought online.

My Centaur groupset is starting to wear out and instead of replacing the parts one at a time through the LBS (which ends up being ridiculously expensive) I'm considering replacing the whole groupset in one hit by buying online from the UK which makes it a very viable option.

If I can find a bike shop/any forum readers that would be happy to fit the parts it will help me decide which road to take.

Cheers
"Don't Wish It Were Easier... Wish You Were Better!"

herzog

Components bought online

Postby herzog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Buy the parts and a copy of Zinns, and one of the $50 bike tool sets off torpedo7.

You will be able to do it yourself it's easier than you may expect.

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Components bought online

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 pm

I agree with zog with the money you save you can buy the tools and book plus still have money left over and become a DIY bike mechanic and if you get stuck then jump online and ask here plenty of folks around who will help. Then you have the tools for the next job or help out your mates who may need a hand with tools.

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:59 pm

I reckon you might find it difficult or very expensive to walk into a bike shop and ask them to fit parts you bought online. One shop in Sydney posted a blog about it last year...needless to say they werent in favour of it.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

bongo

Postby bongo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:05 pm

Would you walk in to the pub with your own eski full of beer and drink it? Get the book mentioned here and some tools, cheaper and loads more satisfaction.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:10 pm

It depends on the LBS. Why don't you give a couple of your LBS a ring and ask if they would be willing to install the groupset? It'd be a less humiliating experience than if you just walked into the store.

Here's what I came up with from a Yellowpages search:

Bio-Mechanics Cycles & Repairs
260 Waymouth St, Adelaide SA 5000
ph: (08) 8410 9499

Velomobile Mobile Bicycle Servicing & Repair
PO Box 2, Fulham Gardens SA 5024
ph: 0400 866 455
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 pm

Again, with the right tools a bike build is fairly simple. Its the Campy tuning that can suck

feeltherush

Postby feeltherush » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:58 am

Guys, thanks for the input, got a pretty good picture of the landscape now so it's either cough up the cash and leave it to the experts or have a go myself between Zinns, forums and You Tube.

I'll have a bit of thinking time whilst out trying to get enough kms in the legs before the MCCT.

PS: In your experiences to date once you start wearing out some parts (rear derailleur & lever mechanism so far) do the rest follow pretty soon afterwards?
"Don't Wish It Were Easier... Wish You Were Better!"

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:12 pm

feeltherush wrote:....PS: In your experiences to date once you start wearing out some parts (rear derailleur & lever mechanism so far) do the rest follow pretty soon afterwards?
Only things I have replaced are brake blocks, chain, cable set, a BB (didn't really need changing) and one cassette (due to ratio change). So really , apart from the chain & brake blocks, the rest is maintenance, and not worn beyond use.

RD's and FD's don't wear out (unless misaligned or damaged). Jockey wheels in the RD do, but if looked afetr well, you'll easily get 20,000km + out of them.

If you have WORN out such items, you are riding HEAPS.

I agree with the others - learn by doing. Even if you install, and then get the buike shop to fine tune, you'll save money and learn.

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

I purchased a groupset online and fitted it myself. between zinn, youtube, partools website and here there is nothing left wanting. if your are fitting campy i would buy the couple of specific tools required rather than a kit for $50. alot of the tool kits are steered towards shimano/sram and the tools left that you can use you may already have? torque wrench allen keys wire cutters/crimpers good investments plus cassette, and bb and chain tools.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:18 pm

check this one out, last paragraph http://www.bmcr.com.au/services it says $72 per hour for parts purchased from them and 120 for your parts.

so you might want to ask how long some stuff takes to do to do a cost analysis.

avalon

Postby avalon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:45 pm

As far as parts wearing out at around the same time, in my experience everything wears at a different pace. My most used bike is now nearly 16 years old and still uses many of the original components, although some major parts have been replaced, such as the forks and the rear wheel has been rebuilt.

Michael.