help me set up my front mech

crog

help me set up my front mech

Postby crog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:54 pm

Ultegra 9 speed full group set and 9 speed durace chain so should all work together but just cant get front mech so as to right to stop chain rub on fron big ring when on smallest back ring and similar on little ring front and large ring rear.

Is there any instructions out there. I know the screws at top for upper and lower adjustment but I am afraid to go near the STI levers.

If I cant do it easily it is going back to shop who fitted group set.

Che

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:02 pm

When you push the lever to change up to the higher gear while you're already in the higher gear, does the FD move any further? If not, the H screw on the FD needs to be wound out a little.

If it does move (as I suspect it will) it's probably just a matter of winding out the in-line adjustment nut on the gear cable housing near the lever. That may make the FD rub when you're on the big chain ring and biggest rear ring, but you shouldn't be in that gear anyway ....

Cheers,
Graeme

(PS - if they've totally cocked it up, it's easy to reset the thing by changing to the lowest chain ring, letting the cable go slack by undoing the bolt clamping the cable to the FD and setting it to be hand tight.)

(PPS - it's not a trim issue is it? Richard and someone else discussed this issue in another thread recently. They didn't know the front derailleur could be trimmed ...)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

crog

Postby crog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks mate,

I will play with it, it just annoyed me on the first outing on the cecil today particuarily after spendin 120 to get group set, BB, wrap etc installed at LBS.

I will state it did not have a seat or pedals when it went to them so a test ride was out of question but if I cant fix it with my limited skill it's going back to LBS. I have spent considerable money with them not only on my rebuild but also a new bike for niece so they will want to help out for there sake.

Cheers

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:06 am

The guys who set up your bike should not have let the bike out of the shop like that.

I had a friend who walked out with a new bike, had a triple setup, but he could only shift from the smallest to the middle chainring.

Have you also checked that the FD is properly aligned? Parallel to the chainrings?

LuckyPierre

Re: help me set up my front mech

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:35 am

crog wrote:Ultegra 9 speed full group set and 9 speed durace chain so should all work together but just cant get front mech so as to right to stop chain rub on fron big ring when on smallest back ring and similar on little ring front and large ring rear.
Are you 'trimming' the derailleur? While I agree that it should have been set better by your shop, let's not forget that cables stretch - assuming that they are new cables. I've usually had to have a couple of goes to get my front derailleur right after fitting new cables.
The derailleur installation / adjustment instructions are available on the Shimano website (or just use the search button here, because they've been linked to in a number of threads).
Of course, I'd also expect that the shop wouldn't charge to re-adjust a derailleur that they's fitted. My guys would be telling me to "Come back after a couple of rides and we'll check the derailleurs" if they did it (yet another shameless plug for my lbs :wink: )
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:23 am

when fitting new cables you should give them a good yank or two to pre stretch them.After that they dont stretch much more.Front mech can be a bit fiddly to set up right.

crog

Postby crog » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:33 am

A search of the shimano technical docs for service instructions (good sight), some stuffing around and I think it I tamed it, lots of adjustments with screws and also the down tube adjusters.

But I think it's right. Thanks