McGuyver tool #2

tallywhacker

McGuyver tool #2

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:11 pm

found that my headset press works for respacing the rear dropouts. This is set up to widen the spacing. Bolt in the dropouts, blocks on the inside, turn the righthand bolt. You can work out how to use it to close the space and install a headset.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:25 pm

Oooh clever :D

I think the rod in my press might be a bit thick to fit in Fionas dropouts, must duck out to the shed...

(Shhh, don't tell Richard that I've decided she'll be geared)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Oooh clever :D

I think the rod in my press might be a bit thick to fit in Fionas dropouts, must duck out to the shed...

(Shhh, don't tell Richard that I've decided she'll be geared)

Shaun
It's probably one of those horrible Giant things anyway

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:11 am

Giant :?: GIANT :?: Image As If I'd be seen dead on a Giant. Consider your self chastised young man. Image

I speak of course of Fiona, my lovely Italian maiden

My decision is based on a ten minute hack around the CBD on a stealthy fixie that the owner kindly let me borrow at 2140ish a couple Fridys back. Scary experience, it would've been waaaaaaaaay worse if it was brakeless. He was kind or paranoid enough to follow me on Princess.

Wuss I hear you say? Image

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:30 am

Hey! Where did you get them smilies?

Daaa-aad! He's got smilies. I want some too! Not FAIR :cry:

Cool McGyver work Tally. Have you seen what I can make with snot and matchsticks? 8)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Hey Shaun,

I hate to tell you this, but there's a kid trying to steal your bike. :shock:
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:51 am

You want smilies?

Google smilies, there's lots out there, host or hotlink with

Code: Select all

[img]
code.

If I can get soddin' outlook to work, there'll be a prezzy in your inbox, if not, it will be soon. :wink:

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:27 am

Mulger bill wrote: I speak of course of Fiona, my lovely Italian maiden

Shaun
Fiona, what a delightfull Scotish name for an Italian bike, but I thought that you might have called her something like "Gina" [From Gina Romantica in 'After the Fox' or Gina Lolabrigida] or some other sensual Italian name.
After all, just imagine the handlebars without the brakes on them, They do have a certain 'feminine' profile to them don't you think?

Good to see that a bike that is designed for gears, being actually used with gears, as god intended instead of being morphed into some kind of bastardised Frankenstein fix-ie. That's what dedicated single speed frames are for.

Have a good Xmas.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

X-wing

Postby X-wing » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:23 am

That's what dedicated single speed frames are for.
And Bents... :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:10 pm

I don't think of bike names, they just appear somehow :?

The GLWs father was born in Belluno, but her name's Elizabeth. Go figure. (Not that she'll answer to anything but Liz.)

Anyone know where I can score a 1" threaded headset? The nasty galling in the Campy on Fiona don't want to polish out :x Reckon the Sugino Italian BB is FUBAR too. Damn.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:51 pm

I have an unused 1" threaded Tange Seiki. What headtube/crown race size you after ?

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:54 pm

Mulger bill wrote: Anyone know where I can score a 1" threaded headset? The nasty galling in the Campy on Fiona don't want to polish out :x Reckon the Sugino Italian BB is FUBAR too. Damn.
Shaun
Quite naturally, you mean that you want a Campy headset of course.

Are you sure that your headset is English threaded, or is it Italian threaded. Yes, there is a difference, ... it's small, but measurable.
If italian, then this mob may be helpful, although at those prices, it would be a port of call of last resort.
They have Campy B/B's with Italian cups for single, double or triple chainwheel cranksets in their 'Record/ Nuovo Record' listing.

This place may be able to help out with some headset parts if it can be saved with just a couple of bits.

Then again, perhaps THIS could be what you need.
Or THIS
Or best of all, ...THIS ONE I have one of these in my Lennie Rogers & my Morgan. Yummy.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:26 am

Headtube ID is 30mm, 1 3/8"
Steerer is 25.4mm, 1"

Underside of adjustable cup and lock nut both have "1"x24 TPI ENGLAND"

A few pics

Thanks for your help so far. :)

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:40 am

What you have there my friend is the much revered Campagnolo Super Record headset, an item that befits a fine Italian steed.

Since all the load is normally borne on the lower race, it could probably be restored to service with a replacement crown race & lower head tube cup plus another set of balls, but unfortunately, I was not able to locate those parts after a quick search on the net, so you will probably need to replace the assembly. The last link in my last post looks good to me.
To be honest, if that fork really has an English thread [Italian is almost identical with a 5 degree difference in the angle of the threads themselves] then it may not be the original fork, but it sure looks good anyway.
Oops, THIS might be usefully if the price is right, but you would need to confirm all dimensions before making any rash decisions.

Personally, I think that now is the time to buy Record & Super Record parts as they have become much more affordable in good used condition, but their desirability is picking up & the pricing will go with it soon too.
I remember buying my Super Record headset new back in the 80's & it wasn't cheap.
In fact, I think that THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS and even THIS are worth a look at.

Ahhhh, what the hell, here's the whole flamin list & that's just the Super Record stuff.

Ooooh here's an Italian threaded Bottom Bracket but I don't know if the axle is for a single or a double.

Remember that you will need to confirm the dimensions with a seller if you choose the eBay route. Caveat Emptor.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:06 pm

Thanks for the offer, info and links fellers :D

You're right about wanting to keep it Kid, it is a thing of beauty.[touchwood]I'll put another tube of autosol through it and see how it goes [/touchwood]
If that's nogood, I'll ebay a new lower cup and head race.

The BB spindle is 115mm, I thought that was for triples :?

Seeing this is the MacGyver thread, what's a good way to knock out the cups without damaging them?

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011