Main Practice Run Findings:
- Have to ride slower because braking time increases - allow more time to get to work
- PSP stands for Principal Shared Puddles (at least it does along the route I take)
- I swear buses actually aim for the puddles next to the bike path - I got absolutely drenched by one bus (like in the movies, but wetter and colder)
- Cleats are soaked through. No way they will be dry for tomorrow - good thing showers are forecast!
- Gloves got very loose and slippery, causing some control 'issues'
- Sand through front derailleur - had some shifting problems on the return leg
- Cassette very noisy on the return leg - needs another lube - only 300km since the last lube
- Current lights will be no good when it's dark at 5:30pm
- Would need to get anti-fog wipes for glasses (can't use contacts)
- Backpack with built-in rain coat worked really well. I'd recommend a Black Wolf Titanium backpack
- Netti Icon jersey probably wouldn't be warm enough, but the reflectors down the shoulders are good for being seen in the dark
- I'm thinking long nix would be better than shorts
In hindsight, I don't think this practice run was well thought out, or a very good idea! I can't say that I'm looking forward to winter now!
Does anyone have any useful tips for winter commuting that they care to share?