cameras?

HPZ

cameras?

Postby HPZ » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi all

Can anyone please direct me to a thread re bike cameras. (Couldn't find one earlier).
I'm completely fed up copping abuse from moronic motorists and nearly getting killed on the road each time I ride.
Any recommendations on camera makes and models would be greatly appreciated.

thanks heaps
H

Nate

Re: cameras?

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Depends on $$$

The two most popular Hi-Def (1080p) models would be the Contour HD & Go Pro --> Reccomend the Go Pro due to the HUGE amount of mounting options.
Think they're around $400?

If you want cheaper - then you can get a water "resistant" (fine on rainy days) for around $70-$120.

<shameless advertisement> Me & My site:
Cameras:
http://www.rigidmount.com/camera_reviews.html
http://www.rigidmount.com/university.html

I run the Otek camera with my mount & its a great picture WITH great audio (waterproof = no audio)

ghop0man

Re: cameras - the MiniDV MD91S

Postby ghop0man » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:56 pm

I ordered yesterday, and it arrived this morning by Express Post, the MiniDV also known as MD91S: http://www.idv.net.au/products/display/miniDV

I bought the handlebar mount and while the User Guide is very basic, with the help of the images in the User Guide on the mini CD, I set it up, did a 15 min ride and believe I got value for money.

The advantage is: i.) the small size, smaller than my index finger in height and ii.)the waterproof/dustproof container, which is held by a screw from the handlebar mount, which provides protection for the camera.
Includes an insane number of attachments for different purposes.

Now to figure out what to capture, without booring my friends silly on the replay.

Laidlaym

Postby Laidlaym » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:07 pm

After a scare this week with a car passenger tryng to knock me off my bike I want a camera. I only commute 4k each way to the closest railway station (Eltham).

What's the mimimum specs for getting enough image detail, storage space (not likely to be an issue with short distance), handle bar mount with easy remove for security. Anything else I need to think about?

Mark

shaneo92

Postby shaneo92 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:15 pm

I would get the Go-Pro for sure.

There are plenty of mounting options and I have used it riding motocross and when watching the footage Ive seen rocks hit it so it is definitely able to take a fair beating and it is waterproof.

I guess it comes down to what you want to spend, the picture quality you are after and durability.
Masi Evoluzione Ultegra 2012, Giant Anthem X2, 90s Torker

mtb159

Postby mtb159 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Torpedo 7 have some decent cameras. I bought on not so long ago it does the job and looks fairly good. picked it up for only around $80 so its not the best but it works :D

Canned Tomatoes

Postby Canned Tomatoes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Laidlaym wrote:After a scare this week with a car passenger tryng to knock me off my bike I want a camera. I only commute 4k each way to the closest railway station (Eltham).
So basically tried to kill you?? Please tell me this is a fluke of an event...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi

I am pretty happy so far with my Contour HD 1080P and I see now the that the Contour GPS can transmit to your smartphone. For me I only need helmet mount and bike mount so the Contour was fine. I guess if you have other plans then more mounting options would be important.

I am know considering a rear facing camera as well.

Oh if you want to see a Contour HD in action on the road in a normal commuting environment, check out the Cyclist from Croydon's videos.

Regards
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

I am pretty happy so far with my Contour HD 1080P and I see now the that the Contour GPS can transmit to your smartphone. For me I only need helmet mount and bike mount so the Contour was fine. I guess if you have other plans then more mounting options would be important.

I am know considering a rear facing camera as well.

Oh if you want to see a Contour HD in action on the road in a normal commuting environment, check out the Cyclist from Croydon's videos.

Regards
Andrew
I wouldn't mind trying that feature when they update the software/firmware for the camera. Mind you means I need an iPhone 3gs mount for my bike....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:18 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I am know considering a rear facing camera as well.

Regards
Andrew
I wouldn't mind trying that feature when they update the software/firmware for the camera. Mind you means I need an iPhone 3gs mount for my bike....
Are you planning on watching while you ride? :lol: :wink:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:53 am

trailgumby wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I am know considering a rear facing camera as well.

Regards
Andrew
Are you planning on watching while you ride? :lol: :wink:
It will make sure I'm shooting what I want it to shoot, however I would need to buy a Contour ConnectView accessory card all thanks to Apple....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Max

Postby Max » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:58 am

Aushiker wrote:Oh if you want to see a Contour HD in action on the road in a normal commuting environment, check out the Cyclist from Croydon's videos.
I think the Croydon Cyclist doth protest too much. Does he seem a little oversensitive to anyone else? Or have I lowered my expectations of motorists so much that his complaints seem like overreactions? Or is it just that the footage doesn't convey just how dangerous the actual situation was?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:27 am

Baalzamon wrote: It will make sure I'm shooting what I want it to shoot, however I would need to buy a Contour ConnectView accessory card all thanks to Apple....
Sure, but you don't actually need a bar mount for your phone to do that. Just check at the start by looking where you normally do, lift the phone into your field of view to confirm. aim lines up and then put it in your pocket. Looking at the phone on th bars whle riding wouldn't work that well, i'd have thought.

Nate

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:48 am

Laidlaym wrote: What's the mimimum specs for getting enough image detail, storage space (not likely to be an issue with short distance), handle bar mount with easy remove for security. Anything else I need to think about?
Mark
Its not that simple unfortunately...
as a rough guide i'd be looking 720p with about 8Gb of storage & weather "resistant" (for rainy days)
(of course i'd re-reccomend my mounts - 1 bolt & its off in <5sec)

As we discussed in the $10 camera thread, a huge number of cameras use the same internals anyway!
There is however different optics & processing chips which give HUGELY different results.

Night time performance seems to vary the most between similar specs
Look at these two - both 720p, similar lens specs (F3.2) on the camera module:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow968J14 ... r_embedded[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0KOA5aL ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Also the mounting is HUGELY critical, if not the most important link in a bike mounted camera.
You can have all the resolution you want, but if you're getting 1080p of blurry shaky pixels - whats the use?
You need to get a "proven" system where you can see results in the conditions.

Nate

Re: cameras - the MiniDV MD91S

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:59 am

ghop0man wrote:I ordered yesterday, and it arrived this morning by Express Post, the MiniDV also known as MD91S: http://www.idv.net.au/products/display/miniDV
Not a bad little product - it looks like its the same setup as the "torch/lipstick" camera i tested for UNSW (http://www.rigidmount.com/university.html), which has almost identical internals to Phils $10 camera (different processing chip, same camera module).
Same res, same MJPEG output, date/time overlay & very similar performance it seems.

You can typically get these for <$70 from china, the one i tested was $35 + postage (about $60 all up i think).

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:06 am

nate, do you know where that eagle eye HD camera can be bought? i can find it here, but it doesn't have a purchase facility. it's difficult to find on the web, as there are a range of cctv cameras with the same name.

davidk

Postby davidk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:54 am

jules21 wrote:nate, do you know where that eagle eye HD camera can be bought? i can find it here, but it doesn't have a purchase facility. it's difficult to find on the web, as there are a range of cctv cameras with the same name.
How about here: http://www.hootoo.com/1080p-hd-helmet-c ... 82107.html

Nate

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:38 pm

jules21 wrote:nate, do you know where that eagle eye HD camera can be bought? i can find it here, but it doesn't have a purchase facility. it's difficult to find on the web, as there are a range of cctv cameras with the same name.
I'll PM you 2 suppliers out of China i've used...

BUT!!!
its NOT even water resistant!!! i can let you know what to do etc to get it there, but unless you seal it up - no rain!
probably the least water resistant camera i've used - BIG fogging issues
Mine also hasnt been 100% reliable after it got water in it - its hung a few times, but dunno if its due to water ingress or dodgy product, either way i couldnt put my name to it & sell it.

Nate

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:46 pm

REPLACEABLE BATTERIES!!!

One thing i've noticed on EVERY camera i've used: if it has replaceable batteries (Li-on pack types, AA's etc wouldnt be affected), then any bumps & vibrations make the batteries momentarily loose contact with the terminals & the cameras power off.
Happened on EVERY cam i've tried that uses a battery pack.

You need to put a little "chock" or spacer behind the batteries & stop them from vibrating so much, similar to the mods described here:
http://www.rigidmount.com/battery_modifications.html

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Nate wrote:BUT!!!
its NOT even water resistant!!! i can let you know what to do etc to get it there, but unless you seal it up - no rain!
probably the least water resistant camera i've used - BIG fogging issues
Mine also hasnt been 100% reliable after it got water in it - its hung a few times, but dunno if its due to water ingress or dodgy product, either way i couldnt put my name to it & sell it.
thanks nate. that contrasts a bit with the review on your site, which is pretty glowing. i assume you've had problems with it since you wrote the review?

Nate

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:33 pm

jules21 wrote:thanks nate. that contrasts a bit with the review on your site, which is pretty glowing. i assume you've had problems with it since you wrote the review?
Correct - last stage was wet weather testing, had to wait for rain...
failure upon failure - i'll be updating the site soon :|

brit_in_oz

Postby brit_in_oz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:04 am

Is the 'Eagle eye' some sort of copy of the drift nnovations camera, looks damn close....??
http://www.sportscamera.com.au/drift-in ... p-390.html
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

Nate

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:13 pm

brit_in_oz wrote:Is the 'Eagle eye' some sort of copy of the drift nnovations camera, looks damn close....??
http://www.sportscamera.com.au/drift-in ... p-390.html
I can confirm it "looks" like it for sure...
I cant comment on the internals or performance of course, but most features are identical - biggest difference is the remote.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:27 pm

I have the GoPro HD. I think it is very good, there are a lot of mounts for it and it comes with a water proof case. they are also going to be releasing an LCD screen that plugs into the back of it and a Battery pack that plugs in the same and doubles the power. these are supposed to be released in Feb.

It's small and very easy to use.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:43 am

T7 Special - Camshot camera...
Special on this one at the moment for $60

But i'd be steering clear, as i suspected the mounting system is similar to what came with my eagle eye.
Where it "clips in" to the base - a lot of them are using this.
There's some play in the mount - which would make it close to useless mounted on the bike.

ANY amount of play in the mount when its bike mounted = HUGE troubles & really poor performance, helmet mount *might* be OK/average.