Travel case options

/\ |_ |

Travel case options

Postby /\ |_ | » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:35 am

Hi All

I will be travelling to the UK and Majorca and need advice on picking a travel case for the bike. I will be taking over a carbon road bike and will be cycling from a base. My options for a bike case are Cardboard box from the LBS, softcase or an EVA pod. I know there is a huge price difference between the options but would like to pick the bike up in one piece. Also I am hoping to keep the weight of bike and case under 20kgs.

Cheers

vanwonky

Re: Travel case options

Postby vanwonky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:51 am

I have been having a bit of a look at this. It seems the EVA is the way to go from the protection side of things. The harder plastic ones (?) are of course better but weigh too much. It all comes down to price vs weight from there. T7 have a special on this one at the moment - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/R7B ... -bike-case. There are others out there that weigh half of what that one does but are more expensive.

Actually if anyone has one of these T7 ones could you let us know what you think of it as I am seriously looking at getting this one at that price.
Free your mind and your legs will follow

/\ |_ |

Postby /\ |_ | » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:57 am

I have looked at the T7 case but for a hundred more could get the lighter Polaris EVA bag from c r c or wiggle. The polaris is 3~4kg lighter hmmm........

vanwonky

Postby vanwonky » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:10 am

I have looked at the T7 case but for a hundred more could get the lighter Polaris EVA bag from c r c or wiggle. The polaris is 3~4kg lighter hmmm........
Yep - looked at the Polaris http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=18012 but the postage to Perth was over $200 dollars. Would be a nice though.

/\ |_ |

Postby /\ |_ | » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:10 pm

I have found this case on probikekit about hte same price as a Polaris http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=B0144 and postage is 24 pounds or approx $50 check it out claimed weight is 8kg but looks very well protected

vanwonky

Postby vanwonky » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:09 pm

/\ |_ | wrote:I have found this case on probikekit about hte same price as a Polaris http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=B0144 and postage is 24 pounds or approx $50 check it out claimed weight is 8kg but looks very well protected
OK but that is a soft padded bag as opposed to a pod style. I don't think I would trust that in an aircraft baggage hold!

toofat

Postby toofat » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:50 pm

Many people use soft padded bags successfully,
bubble wrap and the plastic fork spacers are required
the reason for soft padded bags
they are far lighter ( my Tardis bag from ground effects NZ is just over 2kg)
so you can use your clothes as extra protection, present one piece of hold luggage at under 20kg and incur no extra charges
oversize items go on a different conveyor system and are handled a lot more carefully than normal suitcases
soft bags are a lot smaller, they fit in the boot of small cars,in taxis and in the luggage bays under buses and on the underground
the main drawback is that many of them dont have adequate wheels and if you load them up to 20kg they are a hassle to carry

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi

I have been considering a Evoc Bike Travel Bag ..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIipP0hY ... r_embedded[/youtube]

The do weigh 7.4 kg but ...

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:46 pm

Carbon road bike?

I would strongly recommend getting the Polaris EVA bike pod (semi-rigid) even though we Aussies get completely screwed over with price. I own two of these (for my wife and I) and they are excellent. Please note that some bike disassembly will be required so make sure you are confident in doing these small tasks on your bike. I bought mine from Cheeky Monkey at Centennial Park: http://www.cheekymonkeymultisport.com.a ... s-in-store You probably won't find them any cheaper in Australia. Unfortunately, I find that most UK stores will charge an arm and a leg in postage, if they offer sale outside the UK at all.

I've also owned some Tioga bike bags (soft): http://www.woolyswheels.com/shopping/index.php/cPath/90

They were "okay" but a PITA to transport as there were floppy when loaded. It also caused some scratches on the bike (luckily, I transported my steel Repco so it was no issue) so I would be hesitant putting a CF roadie in one of these.

The problem with the hard cases is again, they are difficult to transport (home --> airport and airport --> hotel) as they are very big. The weight of the case (often 12+ kg) itself may cause problems with your baggage allowance.

Cardboard bike boxes can be an economic option if you feel happy disassembling and reassembling your bike in airports.

Have a good trip!

Cheers.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:05 pm

vitualis wrote:Carbon road bike?

I would strongly recommend getting the Polaris EVA bike pod (semi-rigid) even though we Aussies get completely screwed over with price. I own two of these (for my wife and I) and they are excellent. Please note that some bike disassembly will be required so make sure you are confident in doing these small tasks on your bike. I bought mine from Cheeky Monkey at Centennial Park: http://www.cheekymonkeymultisport.com.a ... s-in-store You probably won't find them any cheaper in Australia.
Hi

$100 cheaper at Bosari Cycles in Victoria.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi

Also Velogear.com.au do a EVA case for $319 and one for $339 and they are offering free shipping at the moment.

Andrew

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:13 am

They're not quite the same as the Polaris one but appear to be a very similar design (and a great price too). I wonder if anyone who has used one of these can comment?

Regards.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:50 am

vitualis wrote:They're not quite the same as the Polaris one but appear to be a very similar design (and a great price too). I wonder if anyone who has used one of these can comment?

Regards.
Hi

I think Cavebear has one. Will see him Sunday so will ask.

Andrew

/\ |_ |

Postby /\ |_ | » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Just bought a Scicon Areo comfort plus on ebay for $399. Requires very light dismantaling of the bike other than the wheelsand is relativly light at 7.7 kg and you can roll it up when you want to store the bag.

toyota

Postby toyota » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:28 am

Hi
I just brought a Biknd case, almost $560 on Wiggle.

THE HELIUM BIKE CASE uses a combination of light, flexible materials and strategically positioned rigid reinforcements, allowing it to offer excellent protection at a surprisingly low weight of only 9 kg (19,8 lbs). Not only is our bags easy on your shoulders, it also makes it easy to respect the strict baggage weight restrictions imposed by many airlines.
The Helium’s unique 360° opening means that packing your bike is easier than ever.
It even has enough room for two wheelsets. We specifically designed a proprietary anchoring system for wheels, which guarantees they will be well protected and will not damage your frame in transit.
Air protection
The biggest innovation inside the Helium is its network of inflatable partitions, strategically positioned on either side of the frame. They offer more stability and protection, at a lower weight, than other systems. The partitions are held in place by Velcro straps, making cleaning and maintenance a breeze.

offical web http://www.biknd.com/packing.html

vanwonky

Postby vanwonky » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:15 pm

toyota wrote:Hi I just brought a Biknd case, almost $560 on Wiggle.
Hi All, Has anyone else had any experience with the Binkd case? Although is seems very innovative it leaves the wheels seemingly at the mercy of all abuse on the outside of the case. A reviewer on Woggle has actually had his carbon wheels damaged in transit using this case. This seems to be a common fault with all soft cases I have looked at. Toyota - are you happy with yours so far?
Cheers Dave

biknd

Postby biknd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:10 am

Hi All,

In reply to toyota and vanwonky, I work for Biknd. I wont try and sell the case to you as i think the case speaks for itself. In terms of wheel protection, we have designed a hub cap structure. These plastic hub caps protect and consolidate the wheels to the bag. These stick out on the outside of the case, once the inside air bags are filled, impacts are absorbed and diffused around the case. The air bags on the inside also provide a cushion.

Team Radioshack and Garmin Transitions use the case on there everyday travels.

If you need any more information please don't hesitate to email us at info@biknd.com

vanwonky

Postby vanwonky » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:19 pm

biknd wrote:I wont try and sell the case to you as i think the case speaks for itself.
You can sell it to me at a wholesale price! Thanks for the extra info. I will add it to the notes.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 pm

vanwonky wrote:
biknd wrote:I wont try and sell the case to you as i think the case speaks for itself.
You can sell it to me at a wholesale price! Thanks for the extra info. I will add it to the notes.
Hi

Don't know if this is a good price or not but PBK have the Biknd going for $550 at the moment.

Regards
Andrew

vanwonky

Postby vanwonky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:Don't know if this is a good price or not but PBK have the Biknd going for $550 at the moment.
+ $37 delivery! Wiggle $520 with free delivery. Go figure! Might press the go button!

edit: sorry that price reflects my 12% platinum status with Wiggle meaning I have spent too much there already!