Checker Hill diversion

betterthanwalking

Checker Hill diversion

Postby betterthanwalking » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/getinvo ... /rideguide

I wonder if they have been reading the comments on the forums about Checker Hill???? :shock: :idea:

Words like carnage etc.

So for the sensible ones and lightweights :lol: , Checker Hill can be avoided altogether. 8)

I'll be doing the hill myself.

Practice run on Sunday again. Will post a meet point in case anyone else fancies checking it out. A few of my mates are going to start from Norwood Parade(ish).

Cheers

Gavin

you cannot be sirrus

Re: Checker Hill diversion

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:41 am

A sensible move IMO.I still plan on doing checkers but will decide on the day depending on temp, numbers of riders etc. at the time.

Might be busy on Sunday BTW, I'm heading out for another reccy ride with a group, also leaving from Norwood on Sunday morning, might see you out there somewhere. Look for a middle aged bloke on a Scott puffing and panting.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:47 pm

i see mike rann has added his spin to the MCCT ride... citing increase support and safety... believe it when i see it.... i see still only 2 stops with dodgy bananas and powerade powder? the several million $$$ they make out from the ride and they cant lash for powerade powder at the majority of the drinks stops? will be another pathetic showing no doubt... stay safe guys....

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:00 am

I haven't had any problems with the support. That said, I have been pretty close to the front on most of the big rides I have done. I'd also not set out to rely on provided support. Packing my own gels and an extra bidon too.

Gavin

PS Will keep an eye out for Scotts, with riders inhaling a wasp but climbing well for their weight. :mrgreen:
http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-lexi ... ing+a+Wasp
http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-lexi ... +My+Weight

We are meeting at the Griffin Pub on the NE corner of Hindmarsh Square at 8am Sunday. Any and all riders will be welcome to join us. Returning back there whenever. There's a coffee shop conveniently located next door but one called De Lucas, where post ride caffeine can be sourced.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:44 pm

I shouldn't have been hard to spot. That would have been me clip stacking on Checkers this morning. I'm afraid the beast beat me this time, that head wind was just too much. Now where does that detour go, I might be taking it on the day.

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:28 pm

That's a shame about the clip stack. How close to the top did you get?

As I understand it, you turn left after Cudlee Creek and right after the reservoir section. Instead of turning left for Kersbrook, carry straight on for Gumeracha.

TBH even though I can ride Checker and have now done it twice, I will see how many folk are hanging a left and think then. Could be less drama to just miss it out. There'll be loads of woodentops completely unprepared for it on the day, which will turn it into a death trap.

Gavin

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Probably got 2/3rds up but struggled all the way tbh.
i got a flat just before turning onto Checkers Hill Rd and most of the group were at the top already. I probably tried too hard to catch them and left nothing for the hill, the wind was the final straw. Once i'd decided I couldn't do it I couldn't even unclip, i had to try and find a nice soft verge and just sort of laid the bike over. Not something UI would want to do with lots of others on the hill.

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:54 pm

I warned the lads not to go all out on the lead up and keep a bit in reserve.

If you did 2/3rds you can do it all. A bit of mindset and a gel at Cudlee Creek would see you over the top for sure. :lol:

Gavin

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:34 pm

I've done it before so I think you are right about taking it easy through the Gorge and keeping up the gels. That headwind this morning knocked me about a fair bit.

One lesson I learned is that the hill is a bitch to walk up in cleats, no way I'm doing that again, ride it or die trying.

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:39 pm

DR Mutley was that you coming down from Lofty this morning.... or your clone!!

I think the detour is a good idea, as it will hopefully make it safe for the prepared!!!

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:58 pm

SUCH a narrow climb considering the number of varying atheletes that will be making their way up.
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:23 pm

im not going all the way to adelaide to miss checkers hill :D
see you gus t, i heard its only 14% :P
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

feeltherush

Postby feeltherush » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Went up Checkers this morning for the first time and man what a bitch of a hill :oops:

Anyway was coping OK up to past the 400m to go mark and the guy in front of me starts zig zagging across the road and the next thing I was in the gravel on the side of the road and as I'm sure you're all well aware there 'aint a hope in hell of starting again on that gradient.

My concern is if people start doing that sort of thing on the actual ride it will cause absolute chaos (this was with only 30-40 odd people heading up let alone 5000, granted not all on the hill at the same time)

And at the end of the day I'm still not sure if I can get to the top without getting off, not sure if I'll get a chance to have another go before the MCCT, might drive over that way and have another go before the ride.

To think there will be thousands of riders coming up to that hill not knowing what to expect and when they get there there'll be no turning back, I agree with the general consensus here that it's not going to be pretty going up there on the day, not to mention the downhill on the otherside, man that was fast.

Good luck to every and safe riding.
"Don't Wish It Were Easier... Wish You Were Better!"

DAVCLARE

Postby DAVCLARE » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:29 pm

We have a group coming over from Perth . The group is in two minds , but not having had the experience of the hill , might be taking the diversion option . We are trying to compare something here in Perth , but as yet ,we are not sure of a compatible hill.
The only one i can think of for us locals in Perth is Gooseberry Hill Rd .
Still looking forward to all event starting next week .
David

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:27 pm

feeltherush wrote: Anyway was coping OK up to past the 400m to go mark and the guy in front of me starts zig zagging across the road and the next thing I was in the gravel on the side of the road and as I'm sure you're all well aware there 'aint a hope in hell of starting again on that gradient.
When I failed the climb last week I kept looking at the drain on the left hand side of the road, any one getting in there is coming out with an ambulance. I struggled past it and found a nice softish verge to lie down in. :roll:

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Discretion may be the better part of valour on Checker Hill. Having ridden it twice, I am in 2 minds about doing it on the day.

Be a shame to get taken out and not finish at all.

Gavin

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:58 pm

i would suggest if u are capable of doing checkers... do it another day....
if u are incapable of doing checkers... try it another day...
if u have good health insurance and income protection insurance, give it a crack on the day....
besides the snakes (2 there yesterday) the road is narrow, steep and inhospitable.... the idiots at the TDU have also decided to place a water stop at the very top, which is likely to have a bank up affect onto the last part of the steep climb....

in terms of difficulty, i am no mountain goat, but i am a fair climber to the point where i have been training for the Apline classic &/or the 3 peaks rides (with the 4000m+ of climbing) and i find checkers difficult, albeit i am on 39 x 25. I think if i hit checkers with flat legs i to mite end up walking, as its last 100m at 20%+ is tough... it is going to be a dangerous place on the day...

i will laugh if the TDU ends up calling on help from my colleagues at Medstar Retrievals again, like they did last year...
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:00 am

williamsf1 wrote:DR Mutley was that you coming down from Lofty this morning.... or your clone!!

I think the detour is a good idea, as it will hopefully make it safe for the prepared!!!
nah williams wasnt me.... as close as i get to lofty is going up greenhill... usually head out gorge or montacute for hills...

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:24 pm

damn! must have been your twin........

bongo

Postby bongo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:i would suggest if u are capable of doing checkers... do it another day....
if u are incapable of doing checkers... try it another day...
if u have good health insurance and income protection insurance, give it a crack on the day....
besides the snakes (2 there yesterday) the road is narrow, steep and inhospitable.... the idiots at the TDU have also decided to place a water stop at the very top, which is likely to have a bank up affect onto the last part of the steep climb....

in terms of difficulty, i am no mountain goat, but i am a fair climber to the point where i have been training for the Apline classic &/or the 3 peaks rides (with the 4000m+ of climbing) and i find checkers difficult, albeit i am on 39 x 25. I think if i hit checkers with flat legs i to mite end up walking, as its last 100m at 20%+ is tough... it is going to be a dangerous place on the day...

i will laugh if the TDU ends up calling on help from my colleagues at Medstar Retrievals again, like they did last year...
It's been mentioned here loads of times, MichealB is not riding due to safety concerns on this hill and neither am I. My work schedule is keeping me from this ride (ironic that they also payed my entry fee) but would not have bothered with Checkers on the day due to concerns of everyones safety. To place a drink station up there is ludicrous, and should people get hurt with the congestion then TDU organisers should be held liable. Good luck and take care to all participating, might see some of you up there the week before and after the tour.

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 pm

To be fair to the organisers (and I admit to having been an avid MCCT knocker in the past 12 months)
1. They have offered the no-ride-up-Checkers detour; &
2. After the road levels out there is enough flat, straight road (and a big verge) to place a drink station, or failing that at the top of the next climb (just before the final descent). It's no worse than the drink station at the top of Gorge Road by Kangaroo Creek Dam which seemed to work OK the last 2 years.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:26 am

I think Dr Mutley's advice is very wise.

If I was doing the ride, I'd probably take the diversion for safety and peace of mind. I guess being an Adelaidian, we can ride Checkers Hill any time.

If the rider density is anything like Fox Creek in last years, it will be a nightmare.

Drink stop on top - madness, utter madness. BicycleSA must be shaking their heads ...

Anyway, enough of the negativity, hopefully its a great day and with a minimal number of injuries/issues.

Ride safe everyone

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:22 am

I missed the turn off that took me to checkers hill, ended up taking the right turn to the escape route - I reckon the escape route was just as tough, longer climb.

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 am

bionic wombat wrote:I missed the turn off that took me to checkers hill, ended up taking the right turn to the escape route - I reckon the escape route was just as tough, longer climb.

yeah I don't think so ;) longer yes.... but nothing is brutal like 20%....

Weasel

Postby Weasel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:39 am

Well said - whilst the Escape Route to Gumeracha was no doubt a long grind, it's definitely not as brutal as Checker's. A 20% climb will always take a lot out of you!!!

Trying to compare the two is akin to comparing apples with pears - each presents its own challenges and varying degrees of difficulty.