Fixed Malvern Star on ebay

dant

Fixed Malvern Star on ebay

Postby dant » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Can't post the link. Thought someone may be interested. wish I was taller.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:15 pm

Is this the one you mean?

Hmmmm interesting.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

dant

Postby dant » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 pm

That's the one. Looks pretty nice with potential. Also noticed an Europa frame that is my size that could be fixed and a nice Jamis.

Cheers.

531db

Postby 531db » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:55 pm

Re the Malvern Star, it's not a track bike, it's not even 'fixed', it's a roadster with drop bars and a coaster brake.

Some sellers are just patently dishonest, stupid or both..........

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:25 am

Yeah.. you gotta admit - "Rare", "Fixed" & "Track" are words thrown around in ebay bike circles like "love" & "baby" in teeny pop music!

Still... interesting period paint detail on it. Curious what the head tube looks like. Certainly doubt it's a 5 star ;)

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:55 am

531db wrote:Re the Malvern Star, it's not a track bike, it's not even 'fixed', it's a roadster with drop bars and a coaster brake.

Some sellers are just patently dishonest, stupid or both..........
Now don't be cynical, he's far worse than dishonest and stupid 8)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:13 am

Loved the description.
He says it has a 'foot brake' which is of course the coaster brake, but also says it has 27" tyres, yet he goes on to describe the wide wheels & the pictures show the original Dunlop/Westwood rims which are 28".
Well, I certainly don't recall seeing 27" versions of these before. He also writes "Must be sold" yet it's not up for auction, it's listed at a fixed price which is really a bit much for what it is, .... by a factor of about 5.

Oh well, it is the silly season.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

dant

Postby dant » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:35 am

Is roadster a model?

Are coaster brakes the ones you had on your bike as a kid?

Cheers.

cludence

Postby cludence » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:05 am

Are coaster brakes the ones you had on your bike as a kid?
Yes they are what you had as a kid. Good old back pedal brakes.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:35 am

dant wrote:Is roadster a model?
Nope; just a style of bike. Rather than being a "racing" bike it was more a general purpose adults bike from yesteryear.

Consulting the tomes of Sheldon - here's his take on the definitiion. Aside from a few other spurious details - the most obvious difference is the style of handlebars mounted.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:08 pm

yes well.... its back on again, probably worth $49 but definately not the other $200 ! I sent him a nice message on the last listing just mentioning its a roadster with the wrong bars but seems hes out to make money from some poor person, send him a message! , he might get the hint. Its really annoying to see this sort of thing, not that it effects me but someone could get ripped off.
Roger

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Point taken, Torana68... but really - it's also a classic case of buyer beware. Think of all the other sellers that don't get such messages - or just plain ignore them.

Personally, I think they should incorporate some sort of ebay feedback mechanism into people asking questions. The amount of times sellers haven't bothered to answer my simple legitimate questions about postage and the like really irks me.

As a seller I admit I have had some idiotic questions and offers - but you've got to think of it from both sides - everyone is a potential buyer and seller. Everyone has the potential to be giving you feedback

</ramble>

Anyway.. back to this bike.. people shouldn't take anything at face value. Impulse buying/bidding should always be a no-no. Always do some research and/or seek the opinion of someone more knowledgeable on the matter.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

5 Star Rolf

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:57 pm

...Pictures tell a thousand words...actions speak more than words.

Language is not a matter for understanding a picture but for words, you need to understand the language...Ebay is a marketplace, a bazaar or flea market if you like... a vantage point to find what we need, what we want to be rid of and a 'forum' to learn from, - plus fees.

What a brilliant concept...painting the town red...For Sale, that is....or better still get everyone to sell everything and anything charge them to do so!

- I sold an old sword and bought a new pen and still made a prophet!

Basically, If you don't like it...dont buy it, after all, it does prompt you to confirm.

We don't stop at every shop with a catchy sales phrase and accuse them of false advertising... are Weet Bix actually wheat biscuits?

Its the nature of the beast, - just dont wrap it all in cotton wool all the time or we will never learn the difference between a silk purse nor a sows ear.

As for the item...the description is inaccurate but the bike is actually quite nice, a bit like those Wheat Biscuits I suppose...

Ride safe, cheers, 5*R :wink: .

[ no affiliation with seller]

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:56 am

5 Star Rolf wrote:[ no affiliation with seller]
You sure? I was beginning to wonder if it was you :shock:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

5 Star Rolf

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:15 am

...Its all of us,..yes, you as well Richard - I'm sure.

There seems to be a kind of order in the universe, in the movement of the stars, the turning of the earth, the changing of the seasons, and even in the cycle of human life. But human life itself is almost pure chaos. Everyone takes his stance, asserts his own rights and feelings, mistaking the motives of others, and his own.

Most species do their own evolving, making it up as they go along, which is the way nature intended. This is all very natural and organic much in tune with mysterious cycles of the cosmos, which believe that there’s nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone.

Ride safe, cheers, 5*R, :wink: .

[no affiliation with seller nor stupid buyers, - but I do like Weet Bix]

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:34 am

5 Star Rolf wrote: As for the item...the description is inaccurate but the bike is actually quite nice, a bit like those Wheat Biscuits I suppose...

Ride safe, cheers, 5*R :wink: .

[ no affiliation with seller]
Rolf is right on this point, it's actually a reasonable machine in good condition, but of course, most of us went looking for a bike that fitted the description, found this instead, were disapointed & became critical.
Mia Culpa.

But if one is in the market for this category of machine, then a change of bars & stem, or even just rolling these ones back up, & it's true self would be restored, making it ready to give many miles of pleasant service.
Hell, as kids we rode Northmead [Parramatta] to Windsor, then to Kingswood & back home down the Gt Western Hwy on bikes just like this, & all just for something to do. [early to mid 60's]

Now if it was actually an auction with a reasonable opening price, we could get a better idea of its true market value.

I was going to post a picture or two of it, but they were outside permitted size limits & I didn't feel like transfering them to my account for resizing.

Mmmmm Wheat biscuits, I think I'll go have some right now.

Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:01 pm

i'm just amused at the
- free retro bike helmet and hand pump also included
- Alloy vintage bike stand on bike
retro helmet, does that mean some old, time- and sun-hardened foam cup that?
alloy AND vintage? really??? :roll:

Recycler

Malvern Star ?????

Postby Recycler » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:15 am

G'Day dant, Looked at Ebay for the Fixed /Road /Track etc etc . It reminds me of old dad told said " Belive half what you see and nothing what you read" :roll: Good Luck . Recycler

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:41 am

... its down to $99 now.... when it gets to $50 its worth looking at.
Roger