Ricardo Appreciation Society

Nathan82

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby Nathan82 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Hey All, I recently purchased a Ricardo on Ebay, it's a 10 speed Blitz, white and blue and in fantastic condition, judging from Ricardoman's scans it appears to be the 1990 model, which I guess would make it an imported model :( Does anyone know much about the Blitz?

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:55 am

My Ricardo (aka Jimmy Recard) picked up from the tip for a tidy sum of $10

Comfy Ride loving the spring seat. Making it my shopping/pub/cafe bike.

Cheers Rob.
Last edited by randyrob on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!

zues

Postby zues » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi Rob,
I have a bare 27" rim which is still in good nick. It has a few surface rust spots that could be polished out. Also a shimano back brake hub that is currently laced to a 700c rim, if you are interested, I can drop them off next week.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Ricardoman wrote:Hi All

More brochure Covers and data sheets to look at from 1989 and 1990.
Will start the big scan work shortly on the entire brochures time permitting.

Well enjoy the sneak peek.

Caution when opening contains 80's styling..

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx22 ... re1989.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx22 ... ec1989.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx22 ... re1990.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx22 ... ec1990.jpg

You will note the 1990 range was quite extensive in comparison to the previous years, mainly due to the introduction of imported bikes to the lower range.
All others frames were made in Australia by Ricardo. It's nice to see they were open in regards to identifying their imported models.

Ricardoman.

Ricardoman.....you are a star.

The Pinnacle is on the 1990 list as you observed previously...

I haven't gone to ground so much (as HappyHumber suggested) as simply haven't had time to visit.

My two Pinnacles (http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 75#p380337) remain in my employ with the larger being the weekend fitness hack while the smaller remains hanging in the shed for either a rainy day or a better offer.

The ridden bike now wears a Brooks B17 honey leather saddle, Shimano SPD touring pedals and some Maxxis Refuse tyres .....and is coping quite nicely. However, the forks have shifted out of alignment slightly which is a worry cause I'm stuffed if I know where to source another one...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

basil*2011

Postby basil*2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi Nathan, I have an original condition Ricardo Blitz, irridescent pale blue with all it's original labels and stickers. I am upgrading it with retro period alloy components to replace the original steel units which are showing surface corrosion through the chrome. It is a twelve speed, six sprocket cluster/twin chainwheels. Serial # L8Z1285 which makes it a 1980 model. I'm planning to compete with the Veterans in Road Race events here in Tasmania. Don't know how to attach a picture as am new to the Forum procedure. Regards, Barry W.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I have also posted this in the market place.

I Regret selling my old Ricardo. I am sick of cleaning my other bike after riding to work in the rain so I have decided to build a dedicated fixed gear commuter. I am after something Aussie built, ideally a early 80's model Ricardo Elite.

The characteristics I am after:
23" seat tube C - T. Tange 5 PG tubing with eyelets for mud guards front and rear. fittings for standard reach brakes (57mm reach) with 700c rims. Paint condition is not a concern as long as there is no terminal rust.

Cyclopter

Postby Cyclopter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Picked this up the other day, it was for sale on the side of the road ( well where i live theres a guy who sells heaps of different bike outside his house ) Anyway, she rides well and all i did was take the mudguards off, fit my saddle, DMR V8 pedals, new tyres and a tube, brake pads and here we are. Havent even washed her...
Does anyone know what model this is?

And i paid $70 for it...plus parts.
Last edited by im_no_pro on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image link

The Turtle

Postby The Turtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm after a bit of info/help on a bike I have.

It's a single speed, red, with an Australia Post sticker on it, and I am starting to think is a Ricardo. It has a sticker on the frame saying"Leisure Cycles Aust, Regency Part SA". The BB is stamped with L6E0856, and the sticker has the number C836942.
It's in really good condition, with the handlebars the same as in the bike posted by Randyrob above. In fact, the whole thing looks really similar save for the colour and basket.

Since it's only a single speed and no branding, are there any ways to tell if it's a Ricardo?
Does anyone know if Australia Post used these bikes legit as delivery bikes?
Any ideas if it's worth anything?

Thanks in advance!

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:33 pm

The Leisure Cycles Aust. sticker and that frame number suggest it is indeed a late era Ricardo frame....it may have been a response to an Aus Post tender back in the day.

It is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.....or how badly you want to get it off your hands.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:31 pm

The Turtle wrote:Does anyone know if Australia Post used these bikes legit as delivery bikes?
Yes, I have seen them on occasion in the Perth CBD, and there's one that comes across from a relatively close Aust Post Depot to the Shopping Centre/Commercial complex near where I work these days. I see it frequently parked up near the Aust Post Shop in the centre, so it must do some sort of regular run between the depot & the shop.
Any ideas if it's worth anything?
per silentbutdeadly's last comment - it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Less if you want to be rid of it in a hurry! :)

I think the relatively scarce Aust Post bicycles that most us would lust after are those constructed quite sturdily, often with a smaller front wheel to allow a lower centre of gravity for a large front rack. One them would make an excellent cargo bike. There was one for sale on the Marketplace forums here last year. Going from your description, your bike sounds like something with relatively traditional or common road geometry.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Rafael

Postby Rafael » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Anyone remember the Ricardo Skid-kid bikes?
When I was a kid a mate of mine used to have one and I remember it had a very unique paint job made up of various colours with the main one being brown or burgundy.

I think it was around a 24 inch frame size from memory.
:mrgreen:

The Turtle

Postby The Turtle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks for the info folks.

Yes, I think it's pretty standard geometry, pretty clean lines and in good nic. I picked it up from the "recycle" shop at the tip for a tenner a few years ago. More curious than anything I suppose - not looking to sell for any particular reason.

Since it was sticker-less, I was really interested in what brand or history it might have had, and a bit of digging led me to your site and info on Ricardo's.

cheers!

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu May 05, 2011 3:17 am

Hi, I'm well into restoring this varsity its hardly top of the range but it does'nt matter to me.
It had been sitting in one of our sheds for 20 or so years and I dont think its ever really been ridden as everything seems to have no wear but only left sitting to long.
Progress looks pretty spectacular and I'll post pic's when its finished but this is how it came out of the shed.
[url]Image
[url]Image
[url]Image
[url]Image
Singlespeedscott as I type this I just took delivery of the shimano 600 derailliers and shifters and there going on this bike. Thanks mate :D

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu May 05, 2011 9:27 am

Glad you like them. They certainly will be a big upgrade for a varsity :p.

patio

Postby patio » Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:The Leisure Cycles Aust. sticker and that frame number suggest it is indeed a late era Ricardo frame....
Hi people, i have a "Pursuit"12 speed from about 1990 i think with tange cro mo tubes, rigida rims italian leather saddle and biopace chain rings. i picked it off the verge last week. Thing is it has one of those same leisure cycles aust stickers saying made in australia. does anyone know if ricardo made pursuits? Sounds quite similar specs to the ricardo elite and a friend said he thought it came from the ricardo factory. Thanks.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 17, 2011 1:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12637&hilit=pursui ... it#p172017

It is probably a simialr frame to Ricardo.....just sold through a different outlet (Super Elliot)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 18, 2011 11:47 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. I have come across bikes made for Cecil Walker, the Melbourne Bicycle Centre as well as Frannafords in SA that all use the same lugs, Japanese tubing and drop outs that I have seen on the various Ricardo's that have gone through my hands.

sara

Postby sara » Mon May 23, 2011 10:06 am

Howdy
Really interesting forum!
I have a much loved Ricardo Viva which i have owned for approx 25 years and had one owner prior to this.It's in good nic and all original components,paint,stickers etc although very dusty and desperately in neeed of TLC as i now ride a mountain bike.
It's a small frame 28 wheel size and is red in colour,it's Ozzie made Cumberland Cycles SA.Just wondering if anyone has any info about this model?
Cheers

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Hey I finally got my 83 varsity together enough to take some pic's. Its the same one pictured above and still waiting on a chain as the one on the bike is from another bike and to short.
I also have a period crank but could'nt fit it in time before getting dark tonight.
I have ridden it though and love it to bits it has a very comfy ride compaired to my carbon Pinarello it just absorbs all the bumps and vibration in the road and at 11.1kg a bit heavy but wont see many hills so thats OK.
The 3 faces of Ricky.

Cross Ricky :evil:
[url]Image

Racer Ricky :mrgreen:
[url]Image

Retro Ricky 8)
[url]Image
http://s950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... 20Varsity/

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:07 pm

I like Cross Ricky.....

I have a spare Ricardo Pinnacle that I'd thought to make into a cyclocross.....but she's too tight for the fat tyres. Oh well. Yet another excuse to keep lookiing!!

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:09 am

I like Cross Ricky too those tires are amazing being light weight CX racing tires they roll very fast on the road and they track really well over cracked up bitumen roads.
Retro Ricky has Vittoria Competition Phoenix 32s on him there pretty good too apparently they cant be bought anymore, if I could it would be worth building a light weight 27inch wheel set just for those tires.
As for Racer Ricky it just doesnt look right with high clearance long reach brakes the Sammy Slicks are just about as fast anyway.

DKR

Postby DKR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:10 am

jbchybridrider wrote:I like Cross Ricky too those tires are amazing being light weight CX racing tires they roll very fast on the road and they track really well over cracked up bitumen roads.
Retro Ricky has Vittoria Competition Phoenix 32s on him there pretty good too apparently they cant be bought anymore, if I could it would be worth building a light weight 27inch wheel set just for those tires.
As for Racer Ricky it just doesnt look right with high clearance long reach brakes the Sammy Slicks are just about as fast anyway.
Watch out for those "Racer Ricky" tyres, if they are indeed Ultremo R' as they seem to be. They were the Tyres Schwalbe recalled.

ratfink

Postby ratfink » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Newbie here,
just trying to I.D. my bike I have owned for the last 15 years It had a repaint quite a few years before I picked it up and it looked pretty old to me then, but still rides well though.
Serial number: L8E2553 so makes me think it is a Ricardo. It seems to weigh just over 10Kg and has a lot of Suntour gear on it and Superbe Pro stamped in the rear dropouts.

The lugs are not perfectly straight with little triangles cut out of them and there are also a couple of Columbus stickers stuck on it.

Any ideas appreciated.

Kiln

Postby Kiln » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:52 am

Hello all,
New member here, after drooling over all of these beautiful Ricardo's I'm looking for any info regarding my own recently acquired machine.
It was an eBay purchase, advertised as a 'Ricardo 12 Speed Elite Sports' with Exage brakes, Biopace cranks, and 'Top quality shimano' all of which I understand to have been standard on Ricardo Elite's. I can see from the 1990 brochure that this bike was a notch below the Elite SX, from what I can gather it has a full tange CroMo double butted frame, but missed out on the CroMo forks.. :| Would anyone know if the build quality of the 1990 model was any worse than the earlier 80s models?
Anyway, once I knock that seat and those bar-things off it should be a very nice daily commuter!

Here are a few pictures I plucked from the eBay listing...

Thanks
- Sam
Last edited by Kiln on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ch!ppy

Postby ch!ppy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:27 pm

my son decided to throw himself through a late model Ford windscreen the other week (well he must have, seeing how the P plate driver , when the police asked how fast he was traveling into my lad, said he was stopped by the time he hit him (huh! funny the first time i asked him before ambo and police arrived he said to me aw just 50kph, he said he didnt use the brakes as it happend too fast, he stopped after), i figure if he was stopped then the only way my lad could have went through the windshield with such force was if he jumped off his bike and threw himself into the passenger seat, via the windscreen of course!), quite amazingly seeing how much damage was done to the bonnet and smashed and caved in front windsheild, his busted helmet, my son was most happily (to me) up and walking around with barely a scratch and couple of bruises, thank goodness he wasnt hurt badly, young guys sure do bounce well :) , he's always been like a piece of spaghetti, you should see him play footy or basketball!!!.

The bike he was riding was an unknown make (due to it having been repainted before we got it) 27incher, with some not bad bits of assorted years of running gear (dia comp brakes-suntour gears etc and some 105 cranks, undamaged nice looking mid 1990's light weight Sakae bars, exage motion brake grips etc etc), alloy rims and some shimano hubs w/skewers, a very nice ride overall (great geometry), one both my son and me like riding, it was nice even though i like riding some expensive carbon bikes.
also quite amazingly the bike didnt come off too bad either (a write off i guess but damage wise not too bad), the front rim totalled, the forks a mess but the frame is untouched and still very good, so i was looking at fixing it up for him but at home i only a have steel 27 inch wheel and the forks i had were too short in the head-tube length (replacement forks from ebay cost around $30 del, an alloy rim seemed not so easy to get and might cost up to around $100 new with a pretty ordinary steel hub with no quick release, even then i was considering going ahead (better the devil you know and the frame size and geometry is just very nice and not easy to replace i found) but then i noticed the front derailer was broken as well. once i looked at ebay for estimates what ppl were asking them ($30-$40) it starts to make looking for a new [old] bike a viable prospect again, perhaps another 27 icher for use or parts..i was considering just giving him back my 1991 repco RX-Elite that i have just finished getting back to tip top shape but, well i just didnt want to! i still dont think he has shown enough responsibility in maintaining a bike to safe reliable mechanical condition yet (different unrelated story) so i wasnt keen about giving him back my old ride just yet (he wrecked it in short time before)

so i went hunting for a replacement, i was thinking budget was going to keep us in ther 27 inch market with inflated prices for 700c lately but i came across this apparently nice and clean-ish looking Ricardo Elite for less than it would cost to repair the 27 incher (something in common with my Repco by name and also not my first bike, but the first bike i myself paid for was a brand spanking new Ricardo in the mid-late 70's ,just after they used to be called Porche, did they really think they could get away with copyright infringement! even the logo was near the same!!~!), it was Gas pipe heavy (not that i thought that at the time as a kid) and cost me the princely sum of $176, loved that bike, took it everywhere and over everything, never let me down, i even raced it against much better competition-and won!! fond memories' hey

so i am pretty pleased, more importantly so is my son (i made him pay for it this time, i think maybe there's a chance that will help with him taking more ownership responsibility for maintenance, i hope so

so here's some pics for you to enjoy, i invite comments!! This bike sure is light, nothing like the gas pipe heavy Ricardo i owned when i was a kid, i havnt weighed it yet but i think its a fair guess it is lighter than the 1991 Repco elite, almost so light i am wondering how strong the Tange 900 double butted frame is compared to the Repco ..i date the Ricardo Elite a 1987 model and apart from prob tyres, bell and pathetic plastic pedels the cheapskate put on it, it looks original..unlike my Repco that has matching running gear the Ricardo is a blended mix (thought out blend!?) of gear. SR Sakae sx cranks, SR hubs, SR alloy bars, Shimano Light Action RD and FD and shifter Exage light action, which i must admit although i thought they had a smooth and streamlined look, i assumed they would be rubbish in practice (and since i have some spare RX-100 gear i thought i might replace them), however i dont mind saying they seem to work very well, perhaps not quite as good as RX100 but, why mess with it! i am still considering repainting (CAN DECALS BE HAD FOR THIS , EVEN JUST THE TANGE 900 DOUBLE BUTTED, THOU RICARDO DECALS WOULD BE GOOD TOO sadly this late model doesnt have the South Australian Piper [Magpie] spread winged emblem, just that funny looking Partridge looking bird that makes you want to sing like David Cassidy and his mom on the TV show haha)) the bike, its not so bad that it looks untidy, pretty darn good infact for a ,what, 24 Yro bike, perhaps i am just itching to make something look brand new again :)

Last edited by ch!ppy on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.