This is harder...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: This is harder...

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:10 pm

When I was injured last year I ate nothing and still put weight on. So I'm assuming that my definition on nothing is still way higher than normal dieting.

When climbing at Ken Dinnerval on Sunday it was evident how much that the 14 extra KG I was carrying in comparison to a rider well known to oprhic was affecting me. I had intended to do Ken Dinnerval (AT) 78kg, but didn't find a suitable calorie deflect window so went there with 81kg. Now there's no reason to concern myself with weight until later in the year.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Stood on the scales this morning 93.9kgs...it is actually a worry that I haven't put on more weight.
But as long as I haven't got a giant tumor (touch wood) eating up all my calories I will take the weight lose happily.Something has to go right at the moment.

PS...I haven't got your standard garden type hernia...but I am having a scan for a femoral hernia (sometimes much smaller and more painful).I have that next thursday...then straight after I have the "doppler"?...inject a magenitc dye into me and then check that I haven't got problems with my Iliac Artery...the doctor said I can't wait till August for that one.Then MRI on the back the week after...just hope that something turns up as I am becoming more and more crippled everyday :roll: .

One big bonus of living here is that everything medical is 100% free!.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:44 pm

mmm... sounds complicated TLL. Also sounds like you have access to quality medical care

orphic

Postby orphic » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Hope things are going ok for you TLL. Do you still record what you eat while you're off the bike?

I have been eating a lot this week. My version of a lot is probably just on maintenance... The thing is, I have felt SO much stronger when riding. For the last few months I would get to the point in the ride where my legs would hurt and they would just turn to jelly and die. This week they've been hurting but they have been feeling strong and keep pushing on. I was able to do a hard 120km ride yesterday and back it up with a moderate 70km's today and I was still feeling good at the end. Anytime I tried to do that in the past I would die about 30km's into the second days ride.

So my question is, should I stick to maintenance and get stronger or should I try and lose weight to make me faster up the hills? Hill climbing is my weakest link, but if you don't have the leg strength then you are screwed - right? I should add that I've been riding for ~12 months, and spent probably about 6 months of that training on the track and not doing much in the way of hill riding at all. I've only really increased my road km's this year.

How do you direct your calories towards building muscle, and not putting on fat? And is it remotely possible to do the two in unison? Or should I be cycling it? So many questions!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Yes I am back counting cals...cutting more than ever.I put on weight so easily I haven't got a choice!.
My reasoning is I can't ride so I can starve myself for a while so that when I hopefully ride again I will be at my goal weight and I can eat normally instead of being in deficit all the time!...after all I am going to lose the muscle anyway!...might as well lose the fat too!!!.

For you...you were obviously dieting too hard...yeah I would back it off a bit.Better to lose a couple of hundred grams a week than a kilo at your size.No wonder you ran out of energy a couple of weeks ago.
Personally I would just train hard / eat right and let your body do the rest :D ...that's what it does well after all!.Don't over think it too much :wink: .Not worth being a kilo or two lighter if you have no energy!.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Next time this year that I'm concerned about weight is for the Kurrajong Classic Sun 08 Aug 10

There is a way that you can get stronger and loose weight and that's to have protein with a high Gi carb, zero fat within 25 minutes of exercise and then apply normal diet rules for the rest of the day. It's something that I've been meaning to do, but fail to get my act together.

BTW Orphic, how come 70k on Sunday, did you take a shortcut after your 2 flats?

orphic

Postby orphic » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:08 am

Yes, I turned around before Waterfall as there was no one left behind me and I was left riding with no tubes and no pump :oops:

I think that the way you are talking about would ensure glycogen stores are replenished, but not necessarily build muscle.

At the moment I'm just trying to figure out what advantage weight loss would bring. So far it's only brought weeks of turmoil as I am hungry, not performing well and frustrated.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 pm

What was the results of your DEXA?.

orphic

Postby orphic » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:10 pm

DEXA scan confirmed that I need to lose 3.7kg-5.1kg of fat to reach my ideal weight.
Body fat % is within recommended limits but closer to the upper end of the scale than the lower.
Lean body mass is normal for my height, and fat mass in kg's is under the normal range for females and heading toward the athlete range - but I am not sure that applies given how tall I am (5'4"). BF% is probably a better measure anyway. If only I was taller :(

I am not 100% sold on the recommendations, however.

Suggested calorie intake to attain ideal weight based on my resting metabolic rate (which is 1402kcal) is 1500cals with 113g of protein, 150g of carbs and 50g of fat. I been roughly following this (although striving for a few less calories) and I think the carbohydrate intake is too little. They then recommend your weekly exericise energy expenditure target - which is >2500cals for me. Problem with that is that I still don't really know the accuracy of my HRM calories burnt, and dividing the output by 2 may be under cutting and causing me dramas. Currently, when dividing it by 2, I burn approximately 3000cals per week - which is over 12hrs of riding. The orginal output would be 6000cals, or dividing by 1.33 like I have done in the past would yeild a result of 4500cals. It's a big difference.

Anyway, after doing some thinking today I decided to cycle my calories a bit. With my resting metabolic rate at 1402, my estimated daily expenditure without exercise is 1600cals. So I'm going to try to cut by 400cals M-W, 200cal on Thursday and hit maintenance for Friday-Sunday just until I feel like I have things right. It's only going to be a weekly deficit of 1400 but it's better than nothing, and if I am underestimating my HRM calories then I might find more weight drops off.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:40 pm

113g of protein is a lot for you size...1gram per kilo is plenty and substitute for carbs.You need the fuel!.
Don't eat any carbs after 7pm and try a 30 minute walk before bed...maybe try a protein drink before bed.

I am starving!!!....but I have to wait till I have blood test at 9! :| ...but weight is falling again.I am probably the lightest I have been since 2001.I am looking thin but certainly not skinny...in another 10 kilos it may be a different story!.

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 pm

toolonglegs good luck with your tests etc,,I,ve been there ,4 times in hospital last year all into emergency,,One was 42 degree temps with big seizures ,,got into hospital caught the super bug in my blood stream and almost curtains,,"I remember very little" I feel my fitness helped recovery though,,another,, back in similar this time expecting a brain tumor but nothing out a week later ,,the weed lives on,,;) ,,I can tell you have a positive attitude and are focused so you will be fine,,Never underestimate the power of the mind ;)
Mike
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Bike 2011 Scott ,,all good
Genius 27 sp flat bar ,modified with aerobars etc a strange beast but love it ,,kicks ass

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Cheers Puff...most tests are coming back clear.Back scan is tomorrow.Taping my groin has helped a bit as well.
92.1kgs after my ride today...down from 105.5 on 29th Jan.
PS...I will be at Mount Manganui or Cambridge from the 17th of Dec till the 31st...if I get some fitness back you can show me a ride around the Coramandel :D

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Hell thats good,,Mine has crept up from 69-71 ,I am not eating enough carbs during the rides but eating bulk in between ,The main cause is late night snacks and late dinners,,Have a calf strain problem atm so will be light spinning just enough to burn fat hopefully,Getting my heart rate up enough on the trainer without loading the calf too much is a problem,,I feel I have had a little muscle wastage with the 7 day training gig and not enough protein intake ,admire your discipline when it comes to eating habits,,.
Mike
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Bike 2011 Scott ,,all good
Genius 27 sp flat bar ,modified with aerobars etc a strange beast but love it ,,kicks ass

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm bumping this threads as I'm back seriously trying to drop the kg's. At the moment I am 6'3" and 87kg. Hoping to get to 83kg by the start of the road season, then down to 80kg by the end. Have been using www.myfitnesspal.com to track the consumption. I have just been using the calories burnt by my garmin, as the PM is out of action. Seems like it gives a reasonable approximiation (or under estimates).

How is everyone else going? :D

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:35 pm

also funny that, based on BMI, my target weight range is 69 - 93kg :shock: I doubt I could ever get to 69! That would be awesome though - FTP of 4.7W/kg

Wino

Postby Wino » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Going ok. But got sick a few months ago - not breathing etc, so off the bike for a few months. Been trying to gain fitness for the TDU, but way behind what I would like. But I think I said that last year. :lol:
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:55 am

Wino wrote:but way behind what I would like. But I think I said that last year. :lol:
I think we all are! I think I need to either look at my calories from exercise or my base rate - day off the bike yesterday (which are usually pretty hard to stick to), and ate under my allowance, but it wasn't very hard :? Will see if the weight goes down over the next couple of weeks....

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:17 am

I've been 65-66.5 kgs for the last 8 years mostly due to martial arts and now bike riding.

And..... consequently I don't get on the scales very often because I know it'll be much the same.

The last 2 months I noticed a bit of blubber sneaking up when I wasn't looking. Clothes a bit tighter, etc.....

This morning 68 kgs. Scales are obviously fooked. :oops: It's nothing to do with me losing discipline and eating more junk food. :roll:

Geez Louise!

More riding!

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:21 pm

ireland57 wrote:I've been 65-66.5 kgs for the last 8 years mostly due to martial arts and now bike riding.

And..... consequently I don't get on the scales very often because I know it'll be much the same.

The last 2 months I noticed a bit of blubber sneaking up when I wasn't looking. Clothes a bit tighter, etc.....

This morning 68 kgs. Scales are obviously fooked. :oops: It's nothing to do with me losing discipline and eating more junk food. :roll:

Geez Louise!

More riding!
looks like the festive season has got the better of you :P
back to eating tuna!!! :D
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

ni78ck wrote:
ireland57 wrote:I've been 65-66.5 kgs for the last 8 years mostly due to martial arts and now bike riding.

Geez Louise!

More riding!
looks like the festive season has got the better of you :P
back to eating tuna!!! :D
Welll yesss! It did. Good thing too. :?

Even though I've rarely had a drink for the last few years I gave up drinking a year ago because it interfered with riding. Broke the rule Xmas Eve though. :) :D :lol: 8) :wink:

Now the price is to be paid. In full. :oops: :( :)

Pain is merely weakness leaving the body. :(

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:18 pm

82kg targeting 75kg

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:09 pm

well had the true test tonight - chinese for dinner as it was my sisters birthday. I was very well behaved, did not gorge myself and only had one glass of wine :D

Lots of pro's wandering around the streets of adelaide at the moment! (not prostitutes, for the smart asses)

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Well I seem to be going well - down to around 84kg atm - I've already achieved my first goal (85kg before start of road racing season) and fast on track to get sub 83kg. I'd like to get to 80kg before the road racing season - I will be pretty unstoppable then! Should have my FTP around 4.2W/kg if that is the case :D

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 am

Weighed in at 82.7kg this morning! Training is still going great. Hill ride yesterday, felt like I was flying up the hills. The power is going up, and the weight coming down. I will be unstoppable in the road races :D :D