M5 Safety Alert Thread

hannos

M5 Safety Alert Thread

Postby hannos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 am

Westbound on the M5 from Henry Lawson Drive exit through to the tollgates there is glass scattered all over the shoulder.
2010 BMC SLC01

Kev365428

Re: M5 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:02 am

Which is why I refuse to travel on the M5 anymore.

Kev.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Understandable. I haven't had any punctures from the M5 yet. I like the amount of room the shoulder has as opposed to some other routes that don't give quite as much room to ride.

With the opening of some of the M5 SW roadworks near Ingleburn, I now ride that as opposed to Moorebank Road. Better road surface and it's 2 lanes through the industrial area. Easy riding.
2010 BMC SLC01

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:16 am

Westbound from Hume Hwy exit to Camden Valley Way exit.
Lots of shred tyre in the cycle path.
2010 BMC SLC01

peter

Postby peter » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:36 am

Is there a phone number you can report this? Or just have to wait for the rain to wash it off?

daniel.s

Postby daniel.s » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:17 pm

I ride between Ingleburn and Camden Valley Way/M7 exits every few days, and haven't had too much of a problem with the rubber on the shoulder lately. It was much worse just before Christmas.

Next time, I may try and use the iPhone app, SnapSendSolve, to report it to council.
2011 Giant Defy 1

mianos

Postby mianos » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:22 pm

I email them. correspondence@bhegis.com.au The M5 being a paid road have a full time cleanup crew. I find within a week they will sweep for glass and rubbish everywhere except where the path goes off onto the pedestrian path on the bridge of Georges river. That's because that little path is the RTA and it's often the worst part.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:08 pm

I rode the M5 today from start to tunnel entrance, turned around via Bexley exit and came back. Road was quite clean for most of the way to my surprise.

(Was relunctant to ride but M7 cycleway is crapcola closed again and have no other routes besides on the M7 itself which for some reason scares me...)
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

timbo

Postby timbo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Yobbo's coming home from the pub on a Friday or Saturday night seem to be the main cause of glass debris on the M5.
They seem to think the easiest way to discard empty beer bottles is to bounce them down the breakdown lane. :evil:

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 am

Keep an eye out for the idiots motorists driving in the break-down lane...

Motorbikes I can handle, cars and trucks (yes TRUCKS) I can't.
2010 BMC SLC01

daniel.s

Postby daniel.s » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:37 pm

hannos wrote:Keep an eye out for the idiots motorists driving in the break-down lane...
Does it happen much? I'm thinking of trying the commute down the M5 and into the CBD for the first time tomorrow, weather permitting.

I'm not to keen on having to cross the onramps and offramps all the way along the M5 in peak hour though. What's it normally like? I have no issues riding along the M7 shoulder, but the M5 is much busier.
2011 Giant Defy 1

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:38 pm

There's a bit of old tyre debris in some spots. The On Ramps aren't busy. The off-ramps don't usually have much traffic going off the M5.

I find mostly it's the debris that's the main problem.
2010 BMC SLC01

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:51 am

I've always said that I find riding the shoulder of the M5/M7 the safest option, but the numner of punctures on the M5 have seen me opt for the backstreets now for my daily commute. On the odd occasion I do venture back out there, sometimes I get away with it, sometimes not.

Watch the off ramps for non-indicating motorists exiting the motorway. It never fails to amaze me how many people think indicating is an option, not a requirement.

Lastly, enjoy the pace. Nothing better than sitting on 40+km/h for an extended period. Certainly makes the commute home a quick one.

Kev.

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 am

So im considering on doing this run from Bexley entrance westbound to the M7.

Can you actually ride the ENTIRE m5?? Or is it best to take the walk ways along the river next to the m5?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 am

Deanoz wrote:So im considering on doing this run from Bexley entrance westbound to the M7.

Can you actually ride the ENTIRE m5?? Or is it best to take the walk ways along the river next to the m5?
You can ride the M5 shoulder from Bexley North to Prestons, where the M7 starts.

Getting across the on and off ramps when travelling with the peak hour flow is a cinch - traffic barely manages 25 kph. But you'll be heading against the flow. The volume of traffic will make it difficult to get across the King Georges Rd exit ramp - so be prepared to stop and wait for a gap. Alternatively, take the exit ramp, then cross over to the on-ramp and rejoin the shoulder again.

The other place it is likely to be difficult is crossing the exit ramp at Liverpool - its two lanes, usually with quite a bit of traffic travelling fast onto the exit. Even in off-peak times, I stop and walk my bike across there; I also use the ped walkway across the Georges River, to avoid conflict with the traffic entering from Moorbank Rd (there's no shoulder on the bridge).

The paths alongside the M5 are pretty rough once you get west of King Georges Rd, and there is currently a section between Belmore Rd and Bonds Rd that is closed. The shoulder is a better option (nice and wide in that area). If you're travelling west of Fairford Rd, there is no close parallel path. But there's ways of using backstreets - a couple of BNA guys have posted routes from Campbelltown through to Mascot.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:38 am

I appreciate the quick response.

I plan to do this run at around 4am or so this Sunday so its not in peak traffic and I have all the safety gear. My concern was that bridge you mentioned as there is no shoulder.. Looking at google maps there is a walk way so ill take that..

This is more for gaining some experience on the main hwys.. I am planning on doing the syd-gong ride this year so I want to see if im up for the 40kms there and back ride..

Thanks

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:09 am

wombatK wrote: I also use the ped walkway across the Georges River, to avoid conflict with the traffic entering from Moorbank Rd (there's no shoulder on the bridge).

Actually the Ped path is also a bike path. Bicycles are not allowed on the road across the bridge over the Georges.
2010 BMC SLC01

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Examine your life. Every morning, you spend more time stuck behind traffic than what you've spent behind bicycle people in your entire life. Does this sound like you? Probably not. Sure sounds like alot of uglies i know though. Some trash on the Casula exit when crossing the bridge after Moorebank.
What are these salesmen peddling?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 am

Deanoz wrote:I appreciate the quick response.

I plan to do this run at around 4am or so this Sunday so its not in peak traffic and I have all the safety gear. My concern was that bridge you mentioned as there is no shoulder.. Looking at google maps there is a walk way so ill take that..

This is more for gaining some experience on the main hwys.. I am planning on doing the syd-gong ride this year so I want to see if im up for the 40kms there and back ride..

Thanks
hannos might be right about the Georges R bridge.

Bexley North to Prestons might not be much more than 20 km. When the M7 cycleway is open, you could add an extra 20 km up that and build your total km's towards the 'gong ride length; the hill up to Elizabeth Drive would be good conditioning work too.

At the moment, the Kurrajong Rd to Bernera Rd detour would put you on some urban streets for a few km's near the start of the M7 cycleway.

Starting around 4 am on a Sunday should put you well clear of peak-hour traffic; will need all the safety gear to make sure people heading home after a big night out can see you.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 pm

This is the route I now use when going from the M5 to the M7 cycleway due to the repair work on the cycleway.
It's pretty good if your not too keen on riding the M7 shoulder, and you miss all of the closures between Bernera Rd and Prestons.

Kev.

Aarleks

Postby Aarleks » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I rode the M5 cycleway this morning from Bexley to Salt Pan Creek and back to recon my new commute from Dulwich Hill to UWS Bankstown. I have to say I was surprised at how pleasant it was. Zero car traffic (of course), a few cyclists, and a few on foot. The section between Bonds Rd and Belmore Rd was still closed; the sign says 'Closed: Danger Asbestos.' Apart from that it was clear, clean, and smooth the whole way.
Thumbs up from me!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Aarleks wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster.
The section between Bonds Rd and Belmore Rd was still closed; the sign says 'Closed: Danger Asbestos.' Apart from that it was clear, clean, and smooth the whole way.
Thumbs up from me!
The asbestos wasn't there yesterday. Hopefully, it'll mean it gets a good sweeping. Don't think either side between Revesby and Bexley North have been swept for at least a month.

You'll be travelling against the peak flow, so be careful at the off and on ramps, especially at King Georges Rd where all the free-loaders exit and enter.

Good luck with your commute.

Cheers
WombatK

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Check out my pal Tony in a newspaper interview, to get that m5 cycleway put in; http://www.liverpoolchampion.com.au/new ... ?src=email
What are these salesmen peddling?

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Ah, young Tony.
A work colleague of mine.

Kev.

daniel.s

M5 Safety Alert Thread

Postby daniel.s » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Check out my pal Tony in a newspaper interview, to get that m5 cycleway put in
Excellent idea, and I wish it would happen, but let's be realistic. It's never going to happen.

Love the RTA's line about the "current level of cyclists". Typical government. Can't look past their nose. No forward thinking happening at all. Of course there are hardly any riders with the current infrastructure.
2011 Giant Defy 1