Single speed vs multi speed

Victor-Victor

Re: Single speed vs multi speed

Postby Victor-Victor » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:18 pm

For me it is simple.

SS bike there is very little to steal, looks basic and easy to lock up in public.

Short rides its SS, long rides with hills Multispeed.

MiG

Postby MiG » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Makes me feel like a winner when I power away from the lights and I can really smash it without worrying about the chain skipping.

I've been logging my commutes and my highest average speed in the morning is still on the fixed gear with aerobars, despite having done many rides on a purpose built time trial bike (no idea why, since my TTs on velodrome are faster on the Merlin TT).

Can take bike onto corrosive dusty lake bed for a week and not care. Ditto for riding through flooding.

Feels good.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:08 pm

I went SS MTB after breaking 3 hangars and one rear mech in a 12 hr MTB race.

I then found it was perfect for my ride to work. I still had geared bikes, except for about 12 months when I had a SS 29er and my fixie/ss roadie.

Now I just have the fixie/ss that I have gone back to fixed on. I like riding fixed because if I do a 30km ride I know I actually worked for the whole 30kms.

stefanbj

Postby stefanbj » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 pm

single speed ftw

oldschoolfool

Postby oldschoolfool » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 am

Mugglechops wrote:I went SS MTB after breaking 3 hangars and one rear mech in a 12 hr MTB race.

I then found it was perfect for my ride to work. I still had geared bikes, except for about 12 months when I had a SS 29er and my fixie/ss roadie.

Now I just have the fixie/ss that I have gone back to fixed on. I like riding fixed because if I do a 30km ride I know I actually worked for the whole 30kms.
That's the point. No coasting on a fixie! :D
  • Tange Free Zone

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:37 pm

oldschoolfool wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I went SS MTB after breaking 3 hangars and one rear mech in a 12 hr MTB race.

That's the point. No coasting on a fixie! :D

I know, riding home from work downhill is actually harder than riding to work. Geared it up from 65inch to 78inch and took it for a quick ride last night.

I don't think I will be riding it work anymore. Should make my 20km flat loop a bit quicker than 50minutes now.