Ride Like Crazy

davidk

Re: Ride Like Crazy

Postby davidk » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
davidk wrote:I signed up for RLC too late to receive a jersey.

So Ill be riding with my Argon 18 jersey - say Gday as you blast past me on the ride :-)
or better still, shout out
"HTFU Dave!" to give me encouragement as I crawl up to Crafers
u can have mine still new in packet from last year if u want to represent.... :)
think its an XL or XXL... chst back then was around 115cm i think?
LOL - at that size, Id be able to get away with not wearing shorts - Im a S , but thanks for the offer

DAVCLARE

Postby DAVCLARE » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:05 pm

We have a small group of 6 from WA and we are looking forward to the ride .
We arrive tomorrow and look forward to Sunday .

See you on the road

David

:mrgreen: :arrow:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:11 am

DAVCLARE wrote:We have a small group of 6 from WA and we are looking forward to the ride .
We arrive tomorrow and look forward to Sunday .

See you on the road

David

:mrgreen: :arrow:
See ya there. Weather forecast is fine and 26 now, so it's getting better :D

Sumichino

Postby Sumichino » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm really looking forward to this ride tomorrow. I'll be wearing my Team CSC jersey as I don't have a RLC one yet. Anyone interested in going up over the Corkscrew with me. I don't think I'll be able to give up a chance to ride Montacute.

nutsack

Postby nutsack » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Just got home from this ride. Was fantastic day, weather was cool for the first 2/3rd, coming down the magic descent from uraidla with fog/mist to the lift was my favourite section.

Lots of food (bananas) at each station. Never drank so much Powerade in my life.

Good training ride for Friday :wink:
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:49 pm

An awesome ride. I'm as full as a boot after eating those steak sangas at the finish, and the jersey pockets are still full of lollies so the kids will be happy. The best organised ride in SA by far.
Now I've got to try and make sense of the garmin info because I forgot to turn it on until Crafers.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 pm

It was a good day for ride :D . I enjoyed the route .Well done to the organisers refreshment breaks at good spots I will be back next year.
Great fun!
What do others think?
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:21 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:An awesome ride. I'm as full as a boot after eating those steak sangas at the finish, and the jersey pockets are still full of lollies so the kids will be happy. The best organised ride in SA by far.
Now I've got to try and make sense of the garmin info because I forgot to turn it on until Crafers.
Great ride, and caught up with davidk & a nother forum member.

Top ride for sure !!!

Great route, well marked and great wether.

Soem riders were absolute nongs re the way they rode wrt the road rules, and I hope the couple of people we saw injured are OK.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 pm

MichaelB wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote:An awesome ride. I'm as full as a boot after eating those steak sangas at the finish, and the jersey pockets are still full of lollies so the kids will be happy. The best organised ride in SA by far.
Great ride, and caught up with davidk & a nother forum member.

Top ride for sure !!!

Great route, well marked and great wether.

Soem riders were absolute nongs re the way they rode wrt the road rules, and I hope the couple of people we saw injured are OK.
I saw the ambos on Gorge Rd tending to someone, and a mate saw them at Lobethal. The one I saw didn't look serious, maybe a bit of exhaustion or dehydation. Lets hope everyone is well.

liamb

Postby liamb » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi

I loved the day best ride I have done so far by a long shot. Great support, great people helping out, great weather, great route. I rode with Davik and MichealB for a while but the tight hamstrings and a very sore lower back slowed me down for the last 40km, a couple of anti inflammatory tablet got me home. Had a great day cheers to all riders and people involved.

Cheers

Bill Nash
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:54 am

As we passed the ambo on Gorge Rd, overheard on the radio "..serious injuries..", but didn't actually see anything.

Liamb, maybe the tight hamstrings was from trying to catch up the the fat gut guy doing the sprint uphill :wink: :roll:

I dunno who's dumb idea that was :roll: but it was fun, and goo to chat & ride with you and Dave for a bit.

I got passed by plenty, but it was also fun passing many going up the hills including ;

# an older Casati complete with a large guy in a small jersey, 60mm Carbon Flashpoint wheels and a triple crankset, with the low gear being used at the start going up the freeway (well before the dog kennels..)
# one of them ugly all black Pinarello Dogmas with Super Record and 404/808 Zipp wheels
# any number of mega buck bikes

Anyway, great day, great weather, great route marking/guidance and great feed at the end.

I'll be there in 2012 for sure !!!

liamb

Postby liamb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:27 am

The hammies were buggered from a few years back.
I like to sprint when the pain is low enough and its fun for 30 seconds to pretend I can do it all day :lol: I was really disappointed I couldn't keep up with you guys but I have only been riding for 5 months now and am still getting fit and used to endurance and need to fix these hamstrings. Off to the physio this arvo to get some more work on the hamstrings :P

Cheers for the talk while we were in the group.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

davidk

Postby davidk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:43 am

My first RLC ride, and a very enjoyable one as well.
The weather was perfect, with clear skies west of the ranges, with low cloud/mist in the valleys on the eastern side - very magical!

First ever time up the old freeway, taking a lead from liamb, I was able to follow him up in a reasonable time (38 mins by my calculation from toll house to bollards).
MichaelB caught up with me, and gave some encouraging comments (HTFU I think it went) - this encouraged me to sprint up a few hills against MichaelB, and spent much of the ride with michaelB and liamb - made the ride even more enjoyable.
We passed many riders stuck on the side of the road, fixing punctures, as MichaelB and I discussed all the advantages of riding tubeless tyres :D

I lost track of MichaelB and liamb somewhere between Woodside & Lobethal, thinking they were ahead of me so I sprinted ahead, really putting in some speed but never came across them, so I suspect I might of actually been ahead. Hitting over 70kph between Lobethal and Cudlee Creek, I ran out of gears, spinning like mad (fantastic bit of road that), only to be punished by the rolling hills before the dam.

By the time I got to Campbelltown, my mind had assumed that it was only a very short ride to Unley oval from there, but by this stage I think I had started to run out of puff, and that last section seemed to drag on - perhaps it was also the fact we were back dicing with traffic, instead of out on the country roads that also played mind games with me.

I ended up pulling into Unley oval around 11:30am, about the time I had anticipated it would take me. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stick around to enjoy the facilities that had been provided, due to a family issue that had cropped up.

Thanks to MichaelB and liamb for making a great ride even more enjoyable - great company!
Overall a fantastic organised event, and I will definately be back next year, possibly try the double, and include the TDU Community Challenge as well.

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Was a great ride, i started at Mawson Lakes and went up Norton Sumit and joined the bunch at Uraidla.

Was a great ride and really enjoyed it. Well organised and everyone was pretty switched on/safe.

Now to recover in time for this Fridays MCCT. Can anyone give any feedback on the difficulties of the comparative routes? I know the Tour ride is about 25km's longer but what do we all think is the harder of the two?

The Bone Ranger

Postby The Bone Ranger » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:47 pm

This was my first organised group ride. I chose this over the TDU ride based on what I heard about last year's organisation of both rides. I wasn't let down. The rest stops were well organised, had plenty of food and drink, and the staff were very friendly. All the turn were well sign-posted, and even had someone pointing riders the correct way if you missed the sign! On arrival at Unley oval, there was plenty of food and drinks to fill up on, too. They couldn't give you enough food!

This was my longest ride by about 40kms. In training, I'd done a bunch of rides around 70kms, so I hit the wall when my back tightened up around the 90km mark. It was a slow roll through the suburbs back to Unley oval, but I was no orphan there. Plenty or similar level cyclists riding with me deep in the hurt locker...

I'll definitely be back. A great course for a newbie to long rides like me (most of the serious climbing in the front half of the course), and a friendly vibe. I won't be doing the TDU ride, but think I'll sign up for Coast to Coast.

Andrew

liamb

Postby liamb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Not sure if it will work but here is me passing the devil at the top of the hill

Bill

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:02 pm

I forgot to start my computer until I got to Crafers but from what I can work out I did the ride in 4 hrs 1 min which I'm happy with. Especially as the ride up to Crafers was so slow because of the number of riders on the bike track making passing difficult. My mate did it in 3 hours which just amazes me, he'd had 4 steak sandwiches by the time I got there. Luckily there was plenty to go round.

liamb

Postby liamb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:17 pm

by my bike computer I did it in apprx 3hours 43mins. Next year will be quicker, the physio has got me on a program of gym and stretching to sort my hammies out, so no stops or slow downs for pain soon I hope, and I will be fitter.

Bill

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm

I read on AC forum that one rider hit a barrier near Lobethal and another hit a car (possibly the Gorge Rd one), rider on wrong side of road.

DAVCLARE

Postby DAVCLARE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Congratulations to all involved . Being our first "RLC" for us WA riders it was a great ride .
The descent was a very good outlook . You have some nice rides here in Adelaide .
Looking forward to the Challenge on Friday .

David