Flooding

beauyboy

Flooding

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Good Evening. As are most aware the State is flooding and the Brisbane is about to flood.
To assist with people finding information
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/map_mode ... 1-0001.pdf
This is the most recent map of what will be happening in the next few days. This will load but you must give it time to load as the server is being very full.

I ask that everyone takes extreme care during this very dangerous rain event.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

The Womble

Re: Flooding

Postby The Womble » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Can I also urge any potential idiots NOT to try any sightseeing drives. Its cruel to revel in everyones misery, you risk personal harm and you will only make things more difficult for emergency services and road crews.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:27 am

Sight seeing rides are cool though. I might fit one of those in over the next couple of days. I promise not to laugh.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:37 pm

MountGower wrote:Sight seeing rides are cool though. I might fit one of those in over the next couple of days. I promise not to laugh.
You & 10,000 other people. New Farm is over-run by sight-seers on bikes with beers and iPhones. None of them are looking where they are going!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:13 pm

[mod edit: comment removed]

Sight seeing a natural disaster, no better than rubber neckers looking at car accidents and we know how much of a PITA that is.

Move along people and get a life and do soemthing useful with yourself.[/quote]

Seems its ok for so called Celebs to go rubbernecking.

Wally Lewis admitted on the news he was out driving around looking at the streets.

But he stopped and helped someone. So maybe that makes it ok.

cheers

Quinns Rocks Roadie

The Smell, Ohhh The Smell.......

Postby Quinns Rocks Roadie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:07 am

But he stopped and helped someone. So maybe that makes it ok.
When I was a kid, mates and I went for miles on surfboards and pilfered whatever we could.
I also peeled potatoes for days on end and helped cleanse family friends houses.
This flood was predicted.

Eric.
Newer does not automatically mean betterer.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:14 pm

[mod edit: quote of removed posts edited out]

On a lighter note, those tugboat captains just encapsulate the best in people. I read that the tugboat captain Doug Hislop not so long ago had to put up with one of his former employees pilfering $400,000 from his business. This is what he had to say then:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 1112392385
Bowen Tug & Barge managing director Douglas Hislop said the company took almost three years to recover but was now bigger than ever. Some staff had also been re-hired.

"When it all happened I deliberately didn't think about it because that sort of thing can destroy you. It happened, we got past it and went on with it," Mr Hislop said
Glad it didn't destroy him and he went on to do greater things. Good on you Doug. You are a true inspiration.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Multiple posts containing personal attacks in breach of forum guidelines have been removed from this topic. Further posts breaching site rules in this thread will result in warnings and bans.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

laager

Postby laager » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:53 am

A friend in Norman Park was telling me Mr Rudd was hanging around his street all day with a film crew following him around like a bad smell. I suspect he lives in the area too.
Apparently he was helping out, lugging peoples luggage around etc, I was told the whole escapade came across as somewhat cheesy.
Then I saw this and had to chuckle: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fl ... 5988117584
I do wonder whether it was all just a publicity stunt?

For a brief moment I find myself not wishing I was back in Brissie.

cinnyis

Flooding

Postby cinnyis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:49 am

Crawf wrote: I do wonder whether it was all just a publicity stunt?.
Here's a link to the ABC interview with K-Rudd you ate talking about. I've gotta say he sounded pretty genuine during the interview. But I'd love to know if he stuck around and kept helping after the cameras went home…
http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/01/12/3111660.htm
Dey see me rollin'
o__ ~~
_>/ _ ~~~
(_)\(_) ~~~~ Dey hatin'

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Rode to Sangate on Fri, and a pontoon from the floods has made its way to shore.
On closer inspection, a family was having a great old time on board. I assume they boarded at Sangate, and are not castaways from a picnic gone terribly wrong in Bellbowrie.
I cant imagine plastic chairs would have made the trip as well, and they appeared to have full picnic amenity...esky, glasses, drinks, food. The kids have boogie boards. It just gets weirder the more i consider it.
Last edited by landscapecadmonkey on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chop wood

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:26 pm

That is bizarre. :shock:
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

biggles266

Postby biggles266 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi all,

I bicycle commute from Woolloongabba to Toowong each day and I'm heading back into work tomorrow, Monday. They are closing some lanes along Coronation Drive so I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the bike lane along the river at Coronation Drive is OK? I go along there and take the tunnel into Land St. Anyone ridden through there in the last few days?

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:46 pm

Not even close, the Regatta end is still covered in very thick wet mud, the other end approaching the Go Between Bridge is still under water.

biggles266

Postby biggles266 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks for the info, you're quite right that I'm not even close! I had a peek of it today. There were some people bicycling from the west near the Regatta but stopping right about there, and the path was covered in mud, or underwater.