Tip: Staying logged in on BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tip: Staying logged in on BNA

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:34 am

Do you have to log in each time you visit?

Well I did as well and over months have been constantly reviewing and finetuning the server and forum settings however offer this tip. Check the settings in your browser for cookies - To ensure that you don't have to log in each time, you have to make sure that cookies from this site (BNA) are being stored, even when the browser is closed.

For Firefox it seemed that during an update, a change was made to settings that cookies were being removed each time the browser was closed. The correct settings would be to keep cookies until they expire - this way you will rarely have to log in. The exception are if some server changes are made - though this wouldn't happen very often. Of course for security and peace of mind you may wish to remove your cookies - a login will be required afterwards of course.

An advantage of remaining logged in is that you won't suffer from the current 'exceeded maximum attempts' problem.

One thing I havn't tested is if you log on from different computers - this may not work as well. Happy for feedback and other member suggestions and tips on this topic.
Cycling is in my BNA

snark

Re: Tip: Staying logged in on BNA

Postby snark » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:41 am

AUbicycles wrote:One thing I havn't tested is if you log on from different computers - this may not work as well. Happy for feedback and other member suggestions and tips on this topic.
No problems here from three different computers around the home. I appear to be "logged in" on all three.

But I can't log in at all with a phone - from both my old Nokia N97 with tapatalk or my new(ish) HTC Desire using the standard web browser.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:40 am

I stay logged in all the time from Firefox... but in the last couple of weeks have found myself logged off & exceeded login attempts on at least three occasions.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:57 am

With the hack attempts and forum update, I have reset all cookies / sessions which would have meant everyone would have had to log in. In normal cases it won't happen again :)
Cycling is in my BNA

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 am

Well I still can't stay logged in with Safari. I've looked through the settings and is no reference to keeping cookies. Pretty much the only options in relation to cookies is who you accept them from. :(

It's very annoying because sometimes you'll start typing a response and then get logged out before you can submit it. :(

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Safari -

(Menu) Safari > preferences > Security > Accept Cookies

I have the third option (Only accept cookies from sites I visit) though will admit that don't use safari (only for testing) so don't know if I this would solve it.
Firefox is not a bad alternative - though a bit slow, particularly on the startup
Cycling is in my BNA

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:43 am

AUbicycles wrote:Safari -

(Menu) Safari > preferences > Security > Accept Cookies

I have the third option (Only accept cookies from sites I visit) though will admit that don't use safari (only for testing) so don't know if I this would solve it.
Firefox is not a bad alternative - though a bit slow, particularly on the startup
Yep, that's what I have. I did see some stuff on the web that possibly accepting all cookies could remedy the problem but I'm not willing to lower security too much :o

I've been using Chrome at work and at home now. I prefer it to firefox and it doesn't seem to have the log out problem. Shame though as I do like Safari.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm using Firefox.

Under Edit > Preferences > Privacy I have set it to accept cookies until I close Firefox.

I then click on Exceptions and add the sites such as BNA that I want the cookies to be kept.

Now I remain logged in but all othercookies disappear as soon as I close Firefox.

John

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:05 am

Nice tip. Thank you for sharing this
Cycling is in my BNA