Cyclist visibility at night: Perceptions of visibility ...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Cyclist visibility at night: Perceptions of visibility .

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:42 pm

hannos wrote:I need to find me some reflactive ankle things. I've seen some at my tri club, they wear them on their runs when it's dark.
One on each ankle would be great I think.
Want some silver 3M Reflexite? Industrial strength stuff salvaged from hivis vests. Stitch some velcro on and away you go.
Yours for two words and I'll spring for the postage. :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:48 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I also wear tights that have all the calf and thighs impregnated with Reflective Illuminite like the link below as another visual aid to all the other crap I use.

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/tights.h ... tivetights
Gaaaahhhh!!! My eyes......................

Image Image

:lol: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:20 pm

il padrone wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I also wear tights that have all the calf and thighs impregnated with Reflective Illuminite like the link below as another visual aid to all the other crap I use.

Image Image

:mrgreen: sicking isn't it and somehow you will never see me in them that I know.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm

The new SCA jersey is copping the reflective piping treatment. I wouldve liked to use more of it but
1) its hellishly expensive, and
2) it makes for a very stiff and uncomfortable garment apparently.
Would anyone be interested in SCA reflective rim strips if they were offered? Interested

zero

Postby zero » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 pm

mikedufty wrote:The moving reflective bits are best at identifying you as a cyclist, but is that a good thing? I've found the extra space cars give me since fitting a headlight that gets me mistaken for a motorcycle or car is quite nice.
From the front, the glare of your headlight will cancel out most visible reflections (I never see the legal reflectors on bicycles unless they lack good headlights), and also make your arms hard to see - so the safety benefits/drawbacks won't change for the headlight. Just have to be aware of the problem on roundabouts. From behind you probably have a blinkie and would alway be identified as a bicyclist anyway. My shoes have the reflective patches - I'd never remove em, and am considering adding tape to the sides. Dunno what to do about gloves - maybe add white reflective tape to them.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 pm

zero wrote:From the front, the glare of your headlight will cancel out most visible reflections (I never see the legal reflectors on bicycles unless they lack good headlights)
That is correct. In fact also when I'm driving I rarely notice red rear reflectors at all, drowned out by a good tail-light.

What I have seen that is very visible from behind at a distance is reflective piping on cyclists' jackets and rain jackets. It has the added virtue of outlining the human form, showing that it's more than just a road reflector you're looking at. This seems to show up as well as the tail-light.
Mandatory helmet law?

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:01 pm

zero wrote: My shoes have the reflective patches - I'd never remove em, and am considering adding tape to the sides. Dunno what to do about gloves - maybe add white reflective tape to them.
Yes, I've noticed wheel and pedal reflectors really stand out on unlit bikes, like a couple of radioactive frogs leaping down the road.
I've put reflective tape round the axles of my pedals and on the rims to supplement the shoes. My lights are definitely limited for side on visibility.
I have considered putting the rear light on steady, but never had a problem with the blinky one and I think being mistaken for a motor vehicle is more helpful from in front than behind anyway, I don't mind if people pull out of sidestreets behind me.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:07 pm

In winter I use a flashing belt like this.

http://www.exelitesafety.com/recreation ... =lumistrip

On cold wet nights these things give good all round viz. Cars, trucks, buses and even taxis give you plenty of space.
It sort of glows on and off and I have had drivers comment they find it less distracting and easier to see where I am on the road, than the very bright flashing red lights.

Not one for lots of gadgets but I like this one.

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:47 am

baabaa wrote:In winter I use a flashing belt like this.

http://www.exelitesafety.com/recreation ... =lumistrip

On cold wet nights these things give good all round viz. Cars, trucks, buses and even taxis give you plenty of space.
It sort of glows on and off and I have had drivers comment they find it less distracting and easier to see where I am on the road, than the very bright flashing red lights.

Not one for lots of gadgets but I like this one.
I use the lumipack during the darker months.
2010 BMC SLC01

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:01 am

Putting the Supernova E3 tail-light on the new bike - very small, very bright.

With good tail-lights (and headlight) I don't find any problems with near misses or motorists complaining they can't see me at night.
Mandatory helmet law?

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Wherecan i get silver 3M Reflexite tape ??? The type that they use on hi vis night gear.
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:19 pm

tim on skin wrote:Wherecan i get silver 3M Reflexite tape ??? The type that they use on hi vis night gear.
How much do you need? Might be a little salvaged stuff left in the shed...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:08 pm

il padrone wrote:

Image Image

If I saw a cyclist wearing these I think I'd run them over myself just to put them out of my misery. :shock: :mrgreen:

I saw a dude with a light turned onto his body one night. Good idea I reckon as it really stood out!

I have a PDW radbot which is pretty cool, and a cheap deal extreme flasher (top) which is backup.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:11 pm

tim on skin wrote:Wherecan i get silver 3M Reflexite tape ??? The type that they use on hi vis night gear.
You after just the tape or the iron on stuff or are you after the self adhesive diamond grade version so as you can see there is a whole range of the stuff to be purchased so you might want to let us know a little more info to the type your after as this will also impact on where we tell you to go get the stuff.

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm after the self adhesive diamond grade version 3M brand to cover my cranks with, lizard skins keep coming of
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 pm

tim on skin wrote:I'm after the self adhesive diamond grade version 3M brand to cover my cranks with, lizard skins keep coming of
This is where I get some of mine from but I get the A4 sheet size and then I can cut to suit.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/stevent1358/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:35 pm

il padrone wrote:Putting the Supernova E3 tail-light on the new bike - very small, very bright.

With good tail-lights (and headlight) I don't find any problems with near misses or motorists complaining they can't see me at night.
I've heard it's very bright, yet I've yet to see it for myself. Do you have any photo's of you riding with it on? But I do know that just spinning my front tyre it makes the E3 tail light glow very brightly anyhow :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

kellyu

Postby kellyu » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:35 pm

hannos wrote:I need to find me some reflactive ankle things. I've seen some at my tri club, they wear them on their runs when it's dark.
One on each ankle would be great I think.
I bought mine - set of two - at Kathmandu on sale for 50% off. Actually I bought 4 pairs!