MUTUAL COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

BoardRider

MUTUAL COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

Postby BoardRider » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 am

Picked up my jersey yesterday I was nicely surprised .Initially hated the colour but once on I liked it.
Great fit, nice and light, full front zip . Are others happy with their jersey?

Jack Bobridge and Greg Henderson walked past in the tent. Gee are they skinny. Henderson didn't seem injured at all after his crash.
Im still recovering from RLC ,muscle fatigue .I hope there is enough time to recover otherwise I will struggle more than normal. How do these guys back up each day amazing.Any tips for recovering Im thinking ice bath maybe a massage ? Cant believe how fatigued I feel , I had ridden the distance several times in training.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

goudgey

Re: MUTUAL COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

Postby goudgey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:52 am

Went down to the tour village yesterday to have a bit of a look. Didnt see any of the pros there, but was impressed by several of the bikes they had on display. That blue Baum with Di2 was amazing!

Good luck with your recovery Boardrider. I'm signed up to do the 135km Challenge and then the day after (Saturday) I'm also scheduled to do the 80km Juvenile Diabetes Ride in the Barossa. I've only just got back from a month in India during which time I've done 0 physical activity and I've also got a chest infection!......Not sure I'll be riding in either at this stage! :(

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:19 am

goudgey wrote:Went down to the tour village yesterday to have a bit of a look. Didnt see any of the pros there, but was impressed by several of the bikes they had on display. That blue Baum with Di2 was amazing!

Good luck with your recovery Boardrider. I'm signed up to do the 135km Challenge and then the day after (Saturday) I'm also scheduled to do the 80km Juvenile Diabetes Ride in the Barossa. I've only just got back from a month in India during which time I've done 0 physical activity and I've also got a chest infection!......Not sure I'll be riding in either at this stage! :(
I hope you make to the ride it wont help though, maybe you could do a shorter distance and still participate in both.The bikes just make me want to pull out the dreaded plastic.
Get well soon
Board Rider

Source Unknown

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 am

BoardRider wrote:Im still recovering from RLC ,muscle fatigue .I hope there is enough time to recover otherwise I will struggle more than normal. How do these guys back up each day amazing.Any tips for recovering Im thinking ice bath maybe a massage ? Cant believe how fatigued I feel , I had ridden the distance several times in training.
They can back it up because they are doing huge days back-t0-back in training all the time so their bodies are used to it. But also, lots of massage, ice baths etc.

Just keep eating lots of good food (whole grains, fruit, vegetables). Take a couple of easy spins during the week, and I am sure you will be fine for the challenge tour. You could try some gentle massage and stretching as well.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Thank-you DanielS
I will give it go .The organiser are placing signs along the route warning motorists of 8000 cyclists.At least I wont be alone,might be a squeeze up checkers though.
Board Rider

Source Unknown

JKohn

Postby JKohn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 am

I have done a fair bit of riding leading up to Friday - now I am giving myself 3 total days off to try and get the legs back to normal.

Picked up my jersey on Sunday and although the width is a perfect fit I felt it's length was a bit short as I am skinny and tall.

I've tried Checkers Hill and made it - although not very gracefully, but that was on my old bike and riding quite hard the two days prior so I am quietly confident.

mmhbeer

Postby mmhbeer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:42 pm

According to the sizing chart I should fit into a XL. Im glad that I ordered a 3XL as its only just long enough, yet the collar and top is really baggy.

goudgey

Postby goudgey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:07 pm

Well, looks like i'm out of the Challenge Tour and the Juvenile Diabetes ride. Just went out for a quick spin to ensure both the bike and rider were working as they should, only to find that my front derailleur is bent and wont change between front sprockets. :evil:

I'm going to try to get the bike into a LBS tomorrow, but I don't really fancy my chances this late in the stage. As it is currently, given that the bike is stuck in the large chain ring, getting up any hills is going to be nigh on impossible. :cry:

Anyone know of any LBS's that may be able to help a poor fellow out at zero notice?

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 pm

goudgey wrote:Well, looks like i'm out of the Challenge Tour and the Juvenile Diabetes ride. Just went out for a quick spin to ensure both the bike and rider were working as they should, only to find that my front derailleur is bent and wont change between front sprockets. :evil:

I'm going to try to get the bike into a LBS tomorrow, but I don't really fancy my chances this late in the stage. As it is currently, given that the bike is stuck in the large chain ring, getting up any hills is going to be nigh on impossible. :cry:

Anyone know of any LBS's that may be able to help a poor fellow out at zero notice?
Bent or misaligned? Can you not have a go at fixing it yourself? It would be a shame to miss the ride.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Goudgey,

where in Adelaide are you? And what sort of front derailleur?

I'm working in the city of Aelaide tomorrow and could help you sort this if we're close enough to catch up.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:23 pm

JKohn wrote:I have done a fair bit of riding leading up to Friday - now I am giving myself 3 total days off to try and get the legs back to normal.

Picked up my jersey on Sunday and although the width is a perfect fit I felt it's length was a bit short as I am skinny and tall.

I've tried Checkers Hill and made it - although not very gracefully, but that was on my old bike and riding quite hard the two days prior so I am quietly confident.
The Ride guide said that you might be able to change your jersey at the start registration .It surprised me to learn that no jersey no ride rule applies .How could they enforce that on open roads.
I failed checkers on my first attempt that last 250 metres really kicks up .So I trained up to Mt Osmond Golf off Port Rush road through to Haywood road another
hard climb ,minimal vehicle traffic . Well worth a try if you like your hills steep not sure what distance or gradient it is.

I think there is some more climbing out of Lobethal heading towards Lenswood Cold-stores if I remember correctly. Maybe its worth a drive beforehand.
Board Rider

Source Unknown

JKohn

Postby JKohn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:36 am

goudgey wrote:Well, looks like i'm out of the Challenge Tour and the Juvenile Diabetes ride. Just went out for a quick spin to ensure both the bike and rider were working as they should, only to find that my front derailleur is bent and wont change between front sprockets. :evil:

PM Sent.

goudgey

Postby goudgey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks for the offers of help/loaner bikes rustychisel & jkohn, its greatly appreciated.

I've managed to get the bike looked at by the good guys at International Cycles and hopefully they will be able to fix the issue. Possibly a new front derailleur is required!

Fingers crossed they'll get it sorted and I'll be good to go tomorrow!

cheers

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:40 am

Peter at Int Cycles will get you sorted. He's excellent. You should pay him what he asks and drop in a beer or two (Dan Murphy's is on the other side of the road).

bongo

Postby bongo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:27 pm

rustychisel wrote:Peter at Int Cycles will get you sorted. He's excellent. You should pay him what he asks and drop in a beer or two (Dan Murphy's is on the other side of the road).
+1 IMO best shop going for Adelaide

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm

rustychisel wrote:Peter at Int Cycles will get you sorted. He's excellent. You should pay him what he asks and drop in a beer or two (Dan Murphy's is on the other side of the road).
First time I poked my nose in for a bit of a look, had a good chat and scored a free Bicycling Australia magazine!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm

SeanB wrote: scored a free Bicycling Australia magazine!

quite right, but IMHO they should pay you to take it. :|