plug for qantas

dirty_harry

plug for qantas

Postby dirty_harry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:06 pm

alright dont know how acceptable this is on the forum but just wanted to say how good an experience i had with qantas. (im not associated with them in any way) long story short i just got back from the uk when i checked in at heathrow with ba it was a code share flight and they wanted to charge me 555 pounds, (no thats not a typo) to get my bike back to adelaide. even though i had talked to BA and qantas and they said it would be 40 pounds to singapore then free to adelaide on qantas. so i went and talked to qantas and the guy at the desk was very helpful somehow managed to change my BA flight to a qantas flight out of heathrow at no charge and let me take my bike and checked bag free of charge even though i was 3 kg overweight at check in they waved that charge. and just straight out were very helpful. when i got to adelaide i was even happier with their service when i seen how damage free my cardboard bike box was when it came off the plane. also when i put my bike on the bike rack on the car i had an empty box to get rid of which dad took into the airport and he said the only airline that was willing to get rid of it was qantas. so quite simply if i go over seas again i will definitely fly qantas and if you plan to take a bike i would definitely recommend them
harry
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

robsta

Re: plug for qantas

Postby robsta » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:49 am

I would agree. Every time I've used Qantas never had a problem (or extra charge).

Also, have used Jetstar both international and domestic and received similar levels of service.

Disclaimer. I'm just an ordinary chap who happens to fly a lot and apart from owning a few Qantas shares have no ties to them.

Rob

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:44 am

Qantas - you pay a bit more but you get a better airline IMHO. :)

gdt

Postby gdt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:05 pm

If you currently use a Qantas Club or Gold frequent flyer card's "twice the usual luggage" benefit to transport your bike and a suitcase, then Qantas has announced that the benefit is ending. My calculation is that this will make Virgin the best domestic airline for flying with a bike. Qantas has been outstanding and I am sad that is coming to an end. I haven't looked into the freight options for Qantas -- the "may not travel on same flight" condition has scared me off.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:14 pm

Qantas? Good? Last few times I flew on them the service was soso (didn't even get offered the meal and had to ask), and the planes were badly in need of an update. Looked shabby. Price gouging on top of that when my folks were trying to get out of Townsville this week, not being able to afford their ticket prices at such short notice. And now with their fleet issues I'm sure I'll fly with the others.
As for the domestic services, I have had to say they are'nt any better. Mind you, Jetstar actually lost our plane last year in Sydney. We waited 2 hours for them to find it, and even the flight crew couldn't understand what was going on.
Might sound like a whinge and I'm not an Aussie, but I've flown on other airlines (BA, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, JAL) so I am simply comparing good standards against the Aussies.
Virgin Pacific not a problem

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 pm

The Womble wrote: Mind you, Jetstar actually lost our plane last year in Sydney. We waited 2 hours for them to find it, and even the flight crew couldn't understand what was going.
Lol
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 pm

The Womble wrote:Qantas? Good? Last few times I flew on them the service was soso (didn't even get offered the meal and had to ask), and the planes were badly in need of an update. Looked shabby.
They have a shed load of dreamliners on order that have been delayed - not their fault.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:26 pm

CommuRider wrote:
The Womble wrote: Mind you, Jetstar actually lost our plane last year in Sydney. We waited 2 hours for them to find it, and even the flight crew couldn't understand what was going.
Lol
Yeah that was funny. The captain and co-pilot getting cranky and pacing around their luggage with the flight crew reading magazines with us passenger scum

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:06 am

I flew with AC and QF to/from BNE/YWG and had exemplary service. The hassles were on the AC sectors. QF did an excellent job - even when I was many kg overweight they kept the overweight pricing to a minimum. Unfortunately QF and other Oneworld members do not fly from my current domicile to SYD, and thus I have to use another airline system and ship my bicycle by air cargo to make the trip cost-effective.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:39 am

You'll never convince me...launghaul I will never ever fly qantas if I am paying.
Now Emirates on the other hand!.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:03 pm

toolonglegs wrote:You'll never convince me...launghaul I will never ever fly qantas if I am paying.
Hi

Pretty much the same for me ... only fly them when I have no choice ... one engine failure then left hanging in the air bridge (door locked on us)... , one 4:00 AM text saying flight was cancelled (yep that was it .... you are on your own buddy), really poorly managed transfers at Melbourne airport ... now prefer to fly Pacific or Singapore or Air New Zealand or Skywest and even Garuda over Qantas.

Andrew
Andrew

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Even Air New Zealand's standards have dropped since they contracted Qantas germs in the Early 90's. Even so I'd still prefer to fly on the former

redned

Postby redned » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:33 pm

gdt wrote:If you currently use a Qantas Club or Gold frequent flyer card's "twice the usual luggage" benefit to transport your bike and a suitcase, then Qantas has announced that the benefit is ending. My calculation is that this will make Virgin the best domestic airline for flying with a bike. Qantas has been outstanding and I am sad that is coming to an end. I haven't looked into the freight options for Qantas -- the "may not travel on same flight" condition has scared me off.
Looked into this as I am going to Tas at Easter from Perth. New requirements don't come in until 1 June but:

1. Qantas Club or Gold FF can have one piece of checked luggage up to 32 kg. My boxed bike plus loaded panniers are generally about 27 kg (not camping), which means if I can get most of the pannier stuff into the box I will be okay (plus 7kg hand luggage)

2. For economy passengers the new rules will have one piece of checked luggage up to 23 kg but you can pre-purchase an additional piece of luggage up to 23 kg for $15 on domestic flights. This is a great cyclist option. In this situation, I would box the bike plus extras to about 23 kg and pay the $15 for one pannier, carrying the other (lighter) one as hand luggage.

It does say "The carriage of baggage is subject to space being available" but I think that it would be unlikley not to fly.

Doesn't work the same on international flights.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Not a plug but just a comment.

I have just checked flights to KL and I did not realise QANTAS really is now a low cost airline. All flights there are via Jetstar and if I take allied Malaysia airlines it's $3k with a flight that is longer by 5 hours. No wonder why Singapore has taken over market share with a return flight of $1.5K :?

Alan Joyce deserves to be CEO of Ryan Air. What a strong disincentive to take the national carrier.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Qantas service on international flights has improved dramatically in the last 10 years. Jetstar however is a massive disappointment and I avoid Jetstar whenever possible particular after my last episode of booking a Qantas interstate flight that turned out to be jetstar and having the jetstar (rather than Qantas) terms and conditions - subsequent problems handled poorly by both.

Etihad is IMO better - good leg room in cattle class though can be expensive. Don't know their policies on bikes though.
Cycling is in my BNA

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Qantas in competition with the likes of SQ and CX and other regional majors has dramatically improved. I'd say they have done Australia proud as a result. As for being a premium flyer, Platinum and Qantas Club is just pure luxury. And yes, their bike carriage policy is one of the best in the industry.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.