Overweight Beginner - What do i do?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
biftek

Re: Overweight Beginner - What do i do?

Postby biftek » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:02 am

Congrats on making the right decision , you have conquered step one

take a visit to your local gym , bike riding is great form of exercise but a good weight training routine has you losing weight long after you have left the gym

you don' t even need to visit the gym , get yourself some sand a hessian bag and make yourself a sand bag get out the backyard and use it to do some workouts

check out http://www.ausbb.com for more info on weight training

batboy

Postby batboy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:23 pm

I know that this thread is about Dean( i am so impressed) ....but i have become inspired...my 113kgs will be no more. My restored traveller is on its way to helping me become a lean mean 95kilo machine.,

DRAD81

Postby DRAD81 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 am

Well done Dean and a well done to all the BNA members for the encouragement and support you've shown Dean.

I've pickup riding to loose weight and get fit too. Focus and no excuses are what keeps me riding. You'll soon see that the 4km ride will soon double and it will get a lot easier.
As for the sore backside, get yourself some padded bike shorts. I wear bike pants under my shorts and it has made it a lot more comforable.

Well done, keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more updates.

Daniel

dawndrifter

Postby dawndrifter » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 am

This thread should be a sticky. Inspiration in buckets and im so filled with happiness reading the lifechanger cycling can be for others
It was for me. Dont wanna detract anything from the original thread but cycling has got me down from circa 140 to 112 today and im still keen as. Slow and steady. I was in the saddle at 550am this morning for a quick squirt around the lake before going to work
My life changing event was sitting in front of my tv at 1am watching a 180km stage of la tour saying to myself these freaks must have the best job in the world cycling around the most beautiful places like that, I want to start cycling. So picked up a clunky Mongoose mtb the same weekend and took her out for a spin, after 7km i had to stop.. didnt put me off but made me massively angry at myself. still mildly angry at my weight but its coming off
Sub 100 is my goal ill let u know when i get there 8)
I read your email...

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Well, we haven't heard from Dean for a while. He must be out riding. Perhaps we need to have a sticky weight loss thread, much like they have in the commuter section for people's daily commute. Mods, a Burning Fat Not Fuel stick?

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:42 pm

dawndrifter....I am the same go the 100kgs please !!!!!

I have made an agreement with the Mrs that if....no when..... I get below 100kgs I can finally launch into a new bike
I've done 22000kms on my steelie so far......but I still have eyes for a Scott CR1 or similar
My wife said on the weekend she's 100% with me on this

Problem is I lost almost 60kgs riding but the last 12 months of 10500kms I've lost ZIP
Yes I am fit and healthy but i really want to lose the rest
and now 2 weeks holiday (CRUISE) I gained 7kgs for the first time in 18 months aaaaaaaaaargh
So I'm in for accountability and a sticky or something...I'm keen to continue this journey
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

Utedog

Postby Utedog » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:45 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Well, we haven't heard from Dean for a while. He must be out riding. Perhaps we need to have a sticky weight loss thread, much like they have in the commuter section for people's daily commute. Mods, a Burning Fat Not Fuel stick?
There is,in general discussion

“ How can I keep both the BEER gods and the HEALTH gods happy at the same time???”

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Congrats!!!

Rule number 1: ENJOY :)

Rule number 2: Regularity without burning yourself out is 1000 times better than any numbers you'll pull

Rule number 3: When you stall, and you will stall, talk to us about it, take a break / vary and push on ;)

Final note on personal experience....as you get fitter you will want to push yourself hard/er. Don't go above 90% i.e. don't ride agressively. As my fitness improved, i sprinted a bit and really pushed up some hills and gave myself a hernia. My mistake......cycling only will lose the kg's but does not give your frame / core the solidity it needs for agressive strain. If your over 29 and haven't done excercise for a long time take heed!!!

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Guys been pretty busy of the hols.

Keeping myself active just didnt help with the amount of food i had eaten throughout the different family get-togethers..

I went on the scale yesterday, I have put on 2 kgs.. NOT GOOD JAN!
Today was supposed to be my first day to ride to work, didnt happen as its raining..
Some people would think... yeah ok its raining.. .so what?? it makes a difference when your riding on princess hwy... peak hour traffic.. Not a fun experience.. lol
I have ridden to work twice just to check if i can make and its been good! from rockdale to redfern in 29mins.. :D

Anyways, 2nite it will be another work out ... The misses has got into it aswell.. looks like we are competing which is really good!
For christmas i bought myself some semi-slick durano tyres. Its amazing the difference in ride and speed you get with skinnier tyres..
Also - bought the misses a GIANT Boulder so she has good brakes! No excuses for her not to come along on some bike trips! :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:23 pm

So you've had a setback...

... but at least you're back on the horse. And it's simply outstandng that the missus in now (ahem, cliche warning) along for the ride. :D
The competitive thing is great too - having a supportive life partner really makes a difference.

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 pm

trailgumby wrote:So you've had a setback...

... but at least you're back on the horse. And it's simply outstandng that the missus in now (ahem, cliche warning) along for the ride. :D
The competitive thing is great too - having a supportive life partner really makes a difference.
Yeah should be good mate.. She doesnt like to loose and neight do i lol haha

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:04 pm

It will be very tempting for you to just look at the numbers. Obviously it's a huge encouragement when you see the numbers on the scales dropping. But don't get too carried away, correctly speaking muscle fibre is denser than fatty tissue, so for the same volume muscle weighs more than fat (commonly explained as muscle weighs more than fat but that's physically impossible - a kilo of muscle weighs the same as a kilo of fat). If you lost a couple of inches off your belt but the scales said the same thing what would that say to you?

Along the way you'll have breakouts, especially around traditional pig-out times like Christmas and Birthdays. And it basically breaks down to this... you'll change shape by losing fat and retaining, or even gaining muscle. The numbers are important and yes you'll lose weight but it's your shape and size not the numbers that are more important.

keep it up mate, you're doing well just by being out there on a bike.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:10 pm

The GREAT THING is you told us !!!
Now get on with it ....we're with ya mate !
You've got a year of new territory to discover just how low can you go
Ditto what Fatherofmany says
Back on the BIKE (Horse) and giddyup !!
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 am

Ok so i got the bike all set up Friday for a ride on Sunday.
Me and the misses took the cooks river run. Started from Tempe an went to Homebush (To Acer Stadium) then back..
All up around 38 to 40kms. We did it round trip in 3 hours and 25 mins with stopping ofcourse. Was the hardest and longest ride I have done yet. To some its nothing but mate, I have never felt so proud of my fiance and myself. We set out to do it and we did it! It is amazing how far you can ride on a bike! Just never thought i could do it! Very happy! :)

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:28 am

Mate I weigh a lot less than you. The first time I rode to work, my boss told me to stop or I will kill myself, because I was pretty much trashed. It was only 9.8km and it is pretty much flat. I only weighed in at 99 kg. I kept at it and while I haven't lost the weight I want yet, I have lost about 13kg.

Now I have a new job. It is 30km one way and while I get to work sweaty, the ride in general is pleasant. A quick shower at work and the day starts much better.

Don't give up, not ever. Every time you get on the bike, you get a little tiny bit better and the rides are a little tiny bit easier.

You are certainly an inspiration. Keep it up.

Where abouts are you in OZ. I for one would be more than happy to go for a ride with you. In fact, why don't we organise a regular ride with Dean to keep him inspired!

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

htleung88

Postby htleung88 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:36 pm

Deanoz, I live relatively close to you and am training a mate to lose weight on the bike as well (he's about 150kgs at the moment). You've written some inspirational stuff - gotta get him to read your writings. Top work!

How many times are you riding a week these days and for how many kms? Would give me a good level to compare my friend's workout level with.

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Deanoz wrote:Just never thought i could do it! Very happy! :)
Good work mate, keep at it! I know exactly how hard it is.
sig goes here...

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:21 am

Deanoz, I live relatively close to you and am training a mate to lose weight on the bike as well (he's about 150kgs at the moment). You've written some inspirational stuff - gotta get him to read your writings. Top work!

How many times are you riding a week these days and for how many kms? Would give me a good level to compare my friend's workout level with.

Hey mate.
Thats fantastic! We should get together and train! It will get me into knowing how fit i am and if i can push myself a little more.

Currently its probably three times a week as I break it up into different activities.

To give you an example. Yesterday I did the cooks river run. From Tempe to Croydon Park (Brighton Ave) I did it there and back in 45mins. Approx 17kms, Avge Spd 21.7kph.

This was pretty much going full at it but stopping for peak hour traffic on roads so i lost a good minute or two here and there..

I did struggle.. My legs hurt and I didnt have the right shoes on.. Im going at it again Friday I hope...

Another good thing was my weigh in last night. Because of the xmas hols, i put on a kilo and a bit. Since then, ive lost it all! I am now going strong! 174kgs!!

How much riding is your friend doing? Im thinking of riding to home bush again Friday afternoon if your interested in joining?

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:49 am

Damn - nice effort there Dean...

Of course we're going to be supportive - you've come on a cycling forum & want to cycle!
You're actively doing something about your health & turning your life around!
Its them pesky motorists *shakes fist* that dont want to see people cycling!

Dont forget to get your bike tuned in a month or so - on a new bike the gear cables stretch a little and need some adjustment.
It might also be good to get your wheels checked & make sure the spokes are all tight - you can do this yourself:
Pop the bike upside down, spin the wheel & just let the back of your fingernail touch it - they will ring like a harp.
If there's any spokes that are really different - they may need attention.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:41 am

heya dean,

just read ur lil thread and im bloody impressed mate!! congrats... your comment about 40kms isnt a lot to some, all i can say is who cares, everyone has to start somewhere and did you 12 months ago think you could ride 40kms?? thats huge mate!! I remember i was super stoked when i rode 16kms to the city from my old unit here in canberra, now i can ride that amount quite easily, and sounds like you would be able to aswell!!
if u ever want to come and spend a weekend riding in the greatest city for cycling (canberra), id be happy to show u around the place. we have 10000000km of paths, so you dont even need to see cars and well, u can do all the touristy stuff, via bike!!

congrats mate and keep going, your story is inspiring me to keep going myself!!
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Ok so an update guys.

As its been pretty hot and disgusting to ride, ive been walking at night with the misses. Taking it easy..

Im finding my clothes are starting to become loose. My work shirts are buttoned and they seem to crease less at the buttons when i sit.. so im doing good! :)

I am planning to enter the parra pedal for amy gillet in feb. Hopefully ill be pushing myself this weekend on the bike, im hoping to reach homebush and return in a better time. The misses and another couple are entering to.

This will be my first ride, whats it like? Anybody done this parra pedal for amy gillet before?

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Don't worry too much about missing a day or two if it's disgustingly hot, I have. Thought I'd take the family down to Gosford waterfront early for Aust.Day celebrations (we did) and then walk home and be back before lunch (we were) than go out for an afternoon ride (no way, not at 37 degrees, been there done that)

At least you're out walking and keeping yourself moving, that's the ticket.

Anyway, to the ride. I haven't done the Parra Pedal but I have done LoopTheLake (85km lap of Lake Macquarie) and even though I rode injured it was fun. Hard work but heaps of fun. A couple of other guys here rode it too along with 2700 other riders or there abouts I think. It's a ball getting out and about with that many like minded people. One- they are in it to help fund raise and Two - they want to ride a bike. The faster guys are usually very supportive of the rest and everyone seems to encourage the young ones. Did I say it was fun yet? I'm doing it again this year too.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:35 am

It has been a while now since i updated this thread.
Been doing pretty well with my commuting to and from work. I am increasing my pace and dropping time.
I started off completing Home to Work routes in about 32minutes averaging 18km/hr.
Just yesterday I reached a goal I had set out. I did the same route in 25 minutes and average 24.85km/hr.
As a booster, I ended up going a little further on my way home, Instead of Redfern to Banksia - I took a little detour... HOMEBUSH! :D
I took the cooks river cycle-way - Did it in a total time of 1hr and 11minutes with a 22.78km/hr average. I am STOKED!
I am doing fantastic and I am definitely feeling great!
One problem I have is that Im not noticing a drop in weight. People say I am loosing but I just dont see it. :) But none the less, I am definitly seeing an improvement in my life! I have sold my car and now have no choice but to ride! It is such an addiction! I keep buying new things! ha-ha

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 am

Deanoz wrote:It has been a while now since i updated this thread.
Been doing pretty well with my commuting to and from work. I am increasing my pace and dropping time.
I started off completing Home to Work routes in about 32minutes averaging 18km/hr.
Just yesterday I reached a goal I had set out. I did the same route in 25 minutes and average 24.85km/hr.
As a booster, I ended up going a little further on my way home, Instead of Redfern to Banksia - I took a little detour... HOMEBUSH! :D
I took the cooks river cycle-way - Did it in a total time of 1hr and 11minutes with a 22.78km/hr average. I am STOKED!
I am doing fantastic and I am definitely feeling great!
One problem I have is that Im not noticing a drop in weight. People say I am loosing but I just dont see it. :) But none the less, I am definitly seeing an improvement in my life! I have sold my car and now have no choice but to ride! It is such an addiction! I keep buying new things! ha-ha
Good on you mate! I reckon you're converting fat to muscle (well you know what I mean). Great news on selling the car too.

I'd advise you not to buy too much in the way of bike clothes or you'll end up with a cupboard full of too big clothes!

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:10 am

Ahhhh.......... too late! haha!

I spend most of my time washing work clothes and bike tights and tops lol