What type of training?

Hogga 10

What type of training?

Postby Hogga 10 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:12 pm

Hey,

I'm pretty new to the sport of cycling and am getting keen to be more serious and potentially get into racing. I'm interested to know what type of training would help me improve most based on my body type, and what type of cyclist i should ultimately aim to become eg. climber, sprinter etc.

Some info about my build:
I am 177cm tall and a fairly stocky build and i was told when i went into my local bike shop that my legs are comparatively longer than my torso. I could probably lose a few kilos, but i think that will happen as i throw myself into a training regime (hopefully). The only other information i can think of which may be useful is that i live in the Adelaide Hills (so it is obviously a hilly area :P) oh, and also i may have a little bit of growing left to do

So, what type of cyclist does my body type indicate that i should be? And what types of training will help me along the way?

iaintas

Re: What type of training?

Postby iaintas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:56 am

When it came to improving my cycling it was hill repeats that has blown everything else out of the water.
This is what i am doing now and i am feeling stronger by the week.

Sunday 3-4 hour ride or Race
Monday rest day or 45min easy spin
Tuesday 2 hour hard ride, including 5x1min over/under hill repeats and 5x15 seconds sprints on the flats.
Wednesday 3-4 12min hill repeats
Thursday 1 hour recovery ride
Friday 1.5hour race pace ride
Saturday recovery ride

If i am feeling crap on a particular day i will change it to a recovery ride, and make sure you eat enough protein.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:38 am

Hogga 10 wrote:So, what type of cyclist does my body type indicate that i should be? And what types of training will help me along the way?
Body "type" doesn't indicate much at all about cyclist type.

No matter what type you are, carrying excess body fat will make you slower than you might otherwise be.

The best training is riding your bike. A little more than you have been. Each week.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:02 am

Hogga 10 wrote:I'm pretty new to the sport of cycling and am getting keen to be more serious and potentially get into racing. .....And what types of training will help me along the way?
Welcome aboard, and great to hear you're enjoying it and are keen and are focussing on competition.

First thing to build up a proper base. By that, I mean not to try to atempt to undertake any specific focussed training until you have a good few thousand kms in the legs. Get around 5000+km in of just 'general' riding then you can start focussing on your specifics. I know it sounds dull, but that's just how it goes. And do some long rides, don't aim for speed, just aim for general endurance of doing a full day on the bike (build up to it though).

And in the words of the great Eddy Merckx - "ride lots".

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

Hogga 10

Postby Hogga 10 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Thanks heaps guys, I guess I'll focus on just getting on my bike as much as I can for now and work out the specifics after i have a little more experience, I've ony actually clocked a little over 300ks on my road bike so i am pretty new to this :P but still enjoying it which is the most important thing for me at the moment.
Thanks again :D

oztim

Postby oztim » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:50 pm

hey hogga , i'm in the same boat as you with being new to the sport.it's great to jump on your bike and go for a ride, its funny but every time i drive(my car)any where near a hill i'm thinking "could i get up this on my pushy and how far do i have to ride to get here"

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:41 pm

i'm pretty new to cycling myself having only started in June last year. I've just turned over 4,600K so I'm getting some miles in the legs.

I'm curently riding about 200k a week, 3 x 40k and 1 x80k and have just decided that this "old fart"'needs to to the Noosa Century (160k) in May as a birthday present to himself.

Any suggestions on the best way to ramp up over the coming months so that I finish in a resonable state. I have solid sporting background in endurance sports (marathons, half marathons, cross country ski racing) over more years than I care to remember so I know all about training effort and pain. I'm just looking for a bit of guidance in a new sport.