Possible Lance Armstrong Twitter ride brisbane

MountGower

Re: Possible Lance Armstrong Twitter ride brisbane

Postby MountGower » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:57 am

Awesome. I'll let the idiot box know they got such a critical detail wrong. What's wrong with them?

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:09 pm

MountGower wrote:Awesome. I'll let the idiot box know they got such a critical detail wrong. What's wrong with them?
They were prolly waiting for confirmation from the courier mail first, seeing as they are so accurate in their reporting and all that :lol:

Its going to kill the CM journos to write a positive article about cycling :lol:

Max

Postby Max » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Yay, my boss gave me the day off :mrgreen:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:45 pm

So it's not a Twitter ride then. Open to all like it has in Adelaide.
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Max wrote:Yay, my boss gave me the day off :mrgreen:

Max

Yay so did mine!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:55 pm

tim on skin wrote:So it's not a Twitter ride then. Open to all like it has in Adelaide.
No it's not. I have seen their season commitments though so much of the timing makes sense now, but it really isn't in any way a legendary twitter ride.
I hope everyone who's going has a blast though. We want plenty of pics!

laager

Postby laager » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:18 am

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 am

Well I couldn't get the day off :( I drove past the ekka about 9:30 though and there were people on bikes everywhere.

I hear Lance is late but I hope you are all having a good ride. :)

laager

Postby laager » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Re:

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:01 pm

laager wrote:Moshtix finally came good at 0935. Only had to gear up and ride 1.75km from work to RNA. Lance was very late. Was starting to cook in the sun but some people were running around with boxes of Powerade pretty much non stop until we got away.

20.6km according to my computer. Cruised in mid pack at 40 minutes.

Bligh was already back. She rode the full course. The Premier is not slow.
Did you see them? Was it fun? :mrgreen:

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Was a great ride, fast and over too soon but what a blast. If someone said it'll be $50 to go round again I would of jumped at the chance.

Crappy picture of the start when Lance, Robbie and Alan arrived.

laager

Postby laager » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:31 pm

It was a great turnout. It took 8 minutes from start to finish for the peloton to roll through the RNA gates. Well done everyone. Got a parking ticket :(

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:34 pm

As much as it was touted as a chance to Ride with Lance, the gallery of photos on the CM website tells the truth of the separation of the riders who rode with Lance, and the rest of us who followed in his tracks.

The truth is for the most of us, the closest we got was being on the same road as he was 5 minutes before – unless of course you were Anna – who looked all the part of an elite bike rider in her pink bike jersey and stack hat as I look like a future state Premier :P :roll: :lol: .

That said – it was as much fun as you could have on an organized ride – the pace was good, the roads were ours, and for the most part riders seemed to know what they were doing so it wasn’t the crazy mess some of the other larger organized rides can become…..
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

soc

Postby soc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Sounds like we all had a great time on this ride :)

I was a fair way back in the start line up so didn't get to see the stage, or the "stars", but I had a shady spot to wait in for the "Five Minutes" that Uncle Lance, Robbie and co. were late :wink:

Loved the kids lining the footpath outside of Balmoral school all jumping and cheering as we went past.

I got a couple of piccies on the phone - not much -
One or two people hanging around at the start

Hey, did you hear Lance's motorcade is only five minutes away?

Apparently We Heart Brisbane...

Lance is in the House, errr, Wool Pavilion - Alan Davis got out in the sun to sign autographs tho' (Astana kit with the yellow Oakleys)

Robbie!!

Max

Postby Max » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 pm

I couldn't get over how many people were there, given it was organised at such short notice. Shows how powerful social networking sites and word of mouth can be. I enjoyed the ride. Like many others, I didn't even get to see Lance because there were soooooo many people there. I was a bit concerned the start would be one of those slow-paced, just-a-breath-away-from-a-clipstack things, but it was OK. I got caught in the throng at the start and was separated from the people I'd ridden in with. So most of the ride was done on my own. I really, really liked that all the roads were closed to traffic. What a difference it makes to have a completely uninterrupted, quick ride! :D Like someone else said, if the offer had been there to do it again, I would've done it. The ride home was a bit uncomfortable due to the heat, but all in all a really good day on the bike. :D

Soc - you must've been not far behind me at the start point. We were just near the powerade table.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

soc

Postby soc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Max, I was standing beside the Merlo coffee van early on then moved up to beside the powerade table. What Jersey were you in, I may have been beside you :) I was in Brissie to Bay jersey.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 pm

What were the leading group like - I can imagine a a bit of bling was out there.

Did Anna wear white shoe covers? :wink:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Max

Postby Max » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:39 am

soc wrote:Max, I was standing beside the Merlo coffee van early on then moved up to beside the powerade table. What Jersey were you in, I may have been beside you :) I was in Brissie to Bay jersey.
I think you ended up in front of and to the left of me at one point. Are you err.. ahem.. a bigger guy? Lots of people were throwing empty bottles back to the powerade people, and at one point I saw a fellow in a Brissie-to-Bay jersey bend down to pick up an empty and hand it to the guys at the table. I was wearing my Primal Road Runner jersey (crappy photo here). I'd link a photo from Primal themselves, but it looks like they don't sell it anymore :( Anyway, suffice it to say, the jersey is a decoy designed to make people think I'm super-fast, when in fact I'm more of a plodder.

ValleyForge, I don't think I've ever seen so much bling in one place, even on rides like the Brissie-Gold Coast. You would think one would reach saturation point after that sort of over-exposure, but I'm pleased to report that didn't happen to me. :lol:

Max

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Speaking of bling - there was one guy there on a Pinarello Dogma - green and sparkle colour scheme, and he didn't look like he "earned" the right to ride such a fine steed - more just that he earned enough to afford to buy it.

Good on him for riding, but some bike shop owners should be ashamed of themselves......... :roll: ..... aren't there any standards these days - it would be like someone selling Miss Daisy a Ferrari.....

:D
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

soc

Postby soc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Max wrote:
soc wrote:Max, I was standing beside the Merlo coffee van early on then moved up to beside the powerade table. What Jersey were you in, I may have been beside you :) I was in Brissie to Bay jersey.
I think you ended up in front of and to the left of me at one point. Are you err.. ahem.. a bigger guy? Lots of people were throwing empty bottles back to the powerade people, and at one point I saw a fellow in a Brissie-to-Bay jersey bend down to pick up an empty and hand it to the guys at the table. I was wearing my Primal Road Runner jersey
Image Yep that was me, the "bigger guy" :wink:

Like your jeresy Max :D

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 pm

uncle arthur wrote:Speaking of bling - there was one guy there on a Pinarello Dogma - green and sparkle colour scheme, and he didn't look like he "earned" the right to ride such a fine steed - more just that he earned enough to afford to buy it.

Good on him for riding, but some bike shop owners should be ashamed of themselves......... :roll: ..... aren't there any standards these days - it would be like someone selling Miss Daisy a Ferrari.....

:D
Perhaps a bit micro-harsh. If he can afford the Dogma then I wonder if he just cherishes it for the short times he can ride. I'd be a demon in the saddle if my job let me spend 3hrs a day in the saddle!

But, yes, a number of shops don't respect the beauty of a high end machine.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:22 am

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:47 pm

I made a little clip of some of the ride. It really was good fun.

Distance was just on 21km according to computer & GPS. I did it in 41 minutes which wasn't too shabby.

The fixie riders were really impressive (you can see them in my film) - they were flying!

Cheers!
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

gordy

Postby gordy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:40 am

nitramluap wrote:I made a little clip of some of the ride. It really was good fun.
Can you show us some more of the Mango?