Brand New Rider

Joeline1995

Brand New Rider

Postby Joeline1995 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:56 pm

This is my first post on here, and was looking for a little bit of help. :?
I have a boyfriend who has done cycling for at least a year and a half, and I have decided to start.
I don't know much at all about riding, so any tips or hints would be great.
I haven't gotten a bike yet, as i wasn't sure what to start off with. If i was to start racing, being a 15 year old, I would race under first year 17s(?), and i was wondering about the rules of the gearing of bikes for this age (as i have heard you have to have the right gearing or you can't race).

Any hints or tips would be great.
Yours appreciated.
:)

trailgumby

Re: Brand New Rider

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:32 pm

If racing is something you think you might like to try, get along to a club. You won't have to join immediately.

Sometimes they will have bikes that you can try out, or will have second hand ones in good condition that their kids have outgrown that might suit you. My brother in law's two daughters were doing a bit of bike racing for awhile, and this is how his club operated. It would help if we knew your locality (eg, Sydney inner west, for example) so someone could suggest a good club to check out. The club will be able to tell you the specifics about gearing.

At a good club you won't be under pressure to race before you're ready, but they will have kids/teens training rides organised and club coaching available, which is a very helpful resource to have access to. :)

Racing is a lot of fun. When I got my first mountain bike, it was the furthest thing from my mind. It was all about doing something with my son that he liked. Now I'm hooked. :D

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am

Joeline1995 wrote:This is my first post on here, and was looking for a little bit of help. :?
I have a boyfriend who has done cycling for at least a year and a half, and I have decided to start.
I don't know much at all about riding, so any tips or hints would be great.
I haven't gotten a bike yet, as i wasn't sure what to start off with. If i was to start racing, being a 15 year old, I would race under first year 17s(?), and i was wondering about the rules of the gearing of bikes for this age (as i have heard you have to have the right gearing or you can't race).

Any hints or tips would be great.
Yours appreciated.
:)
There is some discussion on gearing required for juniors here - http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 11&t=30437

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 pm

I looked at the thread indicated - it works out at 75 gear inches which is pretty gentle. But I imagine that it will compel the budding racer to use a high cadence, which most of us old school clunkers and commuters never get to feel comfortable with. Sounds quite sensible of the authorities to me.

And you get a pass mark Joeline for simply asking. Good luck with it.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Where abouts are you located (just general... we aren't into stalking), we could probably give you some names of people or clubs to see.