Racing in the capital?

Strawburger

Racing in the capital?

Postby Strawburger » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi All,

Not being familiar at all with the road racing in Canberra, is there any weekend crit racing organised by the clubs? I know there is a midweek one at Stromlo, but haven't seen anyone mention weekend racing. If so, can i just show up and race (i have a racing licence) or is it club members only? What other (if any) types of racing is held on weekends?

Cheers!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

mrgolf

Re: Racing in the capital?

Postby mrgolf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:54 pm

Canberra Cycling Club and Vikings Cycling Club organise road races on weekends, inc. time trials, but I think most of the crits are during the week. There are special crits, like the one last weekend, held on weekends, but otherwise it is roads.

Licence wise, it needs to be a Cycling Australia licence to join in with VCC and CCC. If you are over 35 (or is it 30) you can race with the Vets, who have their own races, and use a licence specific to vets.

I have raced with Vikings and can vouch for the organisation of both VCC and CCC. I am not a member, though, and I am sure if you had the relevant licence, there wouldnt be an issue with racing. They just charge a small fee.

Next decent Vikings road race is a hilltop finish out at Corin Dam. I rode the climb today, and I reckon it should make for some fairly taxing racing. Looking forward to it. Its Sat 5th at 8:30. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64892260

All 3 clubs are easily googled. All have calendars of upcoming races. When are you down this way?

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Twizzle races vets, so he should be able to give you some more info than I can.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks for the info! I'll look up the club websites and see what suits me. I'm down 12th/13th Feb so the calendars should well and truly cover that weekend.

I hold a CA licence so no worries with that. I do crits on Saturdays and hill climbs Sunday so by the looks of it i should be covered. If all else fails i'll do the 5 peaks as a training ride!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:32 am

If you are in Canberra without a race, I would possibly be up for 6 peaks if you are interested. I add on Mt Majura.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:54 pm

Vets is 35yo for guys and 30yo for girls.

Generally no weekend crits in Canb though Vets have had a few lately because they are having troubles with approvals for their road races.

Canberra Cycling Club is holding a twilight Graded Scratch Road Race this Saturday evening January 29, 6:30 PM (AT) Lookout Hill

Riders start at Lookout Hill and head south towards Tharwa with theturn just before the drop into Tharwa village. Following the turnriders go back past Lookout Hill and turn right towards Point HutCrossing before turning just before the drop into the crossing. Ridersthen return to Lookout Hill (with a slight up hill finish). One lap ofthe course is approximately 17 kms.
Grades/DistancesGrade Distance Laps
MA 51km 3 full laps
MB 51 km 3 full laps
MC/WA 51 km 3 full laps
MD/WB 34 km 2 full laps
ME/WC 34 km 2 full laps Details:
• Racing starts 6:30pm on Saturday, 29 January 2011.
• Registration will open at 6:00pm.• Times-7 tags: remember to bring your tag or if you don’t have onethen contact Jason Parkes at jpparkes@three.com.au for allocation of apermanent race number/Tag.
• You won’t be eligible to race until you are properly registered inTimes-7
• Entry is $5 with a Times-7 tag. Entry without a Times-7 tag is $15
• For Insurance purposes, riders must have a current Cycling Australialicence (2011).
A limited number of one day and three ride permits canbe bought at the time of registration, for details and prices seehere.
Important note – as a condition of entry all riders are required tohave operative powered front and rear light on their bikes. This willbe checked by the Commisaire as part of the equipment check. Sunsetwill be at 8:15pm – all racing will be neutralised at 8pm.
Please note that to race you must have an approved Australian StandardHelmet and this will be checked upon payment of race entry.
Riders ineach grade must be present for the race brief for their grade. Youwill not be permitted to race if you are not present for the racebrief prior to your grade start.
Riders are reminded that their bicycles must be in a roadworthycondition prior to racing.
Any riders deemed to be riding anunroadworthy bicycle on visual inspection will not be permitted torace.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:18 am

Looks like i'll be without a race on saturday. Vikings have nothing this weekend and CCC have one when i've been booked in for dinner. The ACT vets have a race on sunday morning and have inquired as to eligibility.

By the looks of things, i could be available saturday morning for a killer hill session &/or sunday depending on the Vets response.

Mrgolf & others, is anyone keen & available for either the saturday or sunday?

Cheers!

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 am

For future reference, our fellow clubbie MichaelL has only moved to Canberra, joining our club's national Pennyfarthing champion HuwM there. So you have at least two good direct contacts when you have a chance to go down again. AFAIK, MichaelL is still actively racing there.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.