Cycling blogger hit by a car – here’s how it happened..

malby

Re: Cycling blogger hit by a car – here’s how it happened..

Postby malby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 am

To me, the rider should have exercised more care when approaching a T-Intersection in traffic. He's riding in the bus lane, so while the driver should have been looking for more than just buses coming down the lane, there was a truck/van in the right lane blocking the view.

When I ride into a similar situation, I stand up on the bike and see if I can see over the car in the right hand lane, and if yes, is there a car looking to turn into me. If I can not see over the car (say it's a van), then you have to consider the possibility that a car is turning into you, and you should right with caution/slow right down.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:27 am

Crawf wrote: Nearly happens to me every every day, on every commute, I have to slow down and check every gap for fear of someone cutting across like this.
Most wont like this but he REALLY should have known better, I have learnt from a few close calls like this.
A++

i.e.

about a 6inch gap at most with the rear of the car, locked up rear, back stepped out.... got it though.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:38 am

Bet he loved the Airzound in his ear :lol: :lol: :wink:

Well handled.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:43 am

the Airzound was certainly an appropriate tune there but i think that outrageous driving called for some percussion backing.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:11 pm

No comments on the unusual silence during the clip? ;)
i expressed my dissatisfaction with his lack of abilities

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah, well how did that happen?

By 'well handled' I meant you seemed to avoid the sort of outburst most of us fall into. Did you edit the expletives out?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:08 pm

il padrone wrote:Did you edit the expletives out?
yeah :)
I am human!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 pm

:shock: Even with the expletives deleted you were remarkably restrained there Nate. Serious pucker initiation there.

I take it Mr Plod will be getting a copy of the footage?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Mulger bill wrote::shock: Even with the expletives deleted you were remarkably restrained there Nate. Serious pucker initiation there.
+1 :wink:
Mulger bill wrote:I take it Mr Plod will be getting a copy of the footage?
Hope so that was too close for comfort. I never even saw the idiot look in his mirror when Nate hit the horn. Totally oblivious to the world.....
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Considering it happened nearly in front of the police station :lol: ...hand to one of the boys at 3pm on a week day...they always walk out the front and put a radar in the school zone.
But seriously you should of seen that coming and given the driver space :mrgreen: .

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:54 pm

nah not to Mr Plod...

I classify that as poor driver abilities & lack of judgement... i'm pretty sure he knew from the horn & me riding next to him further down the road what he had done. (pity i didnt catch him at the lights).

I'll do a report only on people that are deliberate in their actions & not just absent minded... fine line...

TLL - seeing as though i missed him i guess i did give him enough space....
Also had an option to the right with the 4wd, traffic was only just starting to move

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:23 am

I turn onto the highway at that intersection every morning. Seriously, it is not that hard to look what traffic is coming and wait for an appropriate break. People are just impatient.

On a related note, coming home from work today, my wife and son were waiting out the front for me. I could see them about 100m away, and my wife was waving at me saying "stop", and then something along the lines of "ride on the footpath". So, I jumped up onto the footpath and rolled up towards our driveway. It then became clear what has happened. A car in the complex over the road from us has tried to exit their driveway (turning right), and they have done so without having a clear view of traffic coming down the street. End result, car smashed pretty badly in the driveway, hit by other car doing somewhere between 40-50km/h (speed limit 50km/h). Both cars had young kids in them, airbags deployed, all because of a little impatience. Our street is very busy between 5pm and 6:30pm as we have the bus terminus at one end, and everyone is coming home from work. The On Street parking makes it difficult to see where the driveways are, so doing 50km/h past all those cars is just asking for this kind of thing to happen. Time to get the council to put up some "No parking" zones around the driveways to enforce a buffer zone.

My not quite 2 year old son witnessed the crash, and although he can barely string a sentence together, he as saying "Daddy.....BANG! and then it broke!".
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi