Crit Races.

Solirossi

Crit Races.

Postby Solirossi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:42 am

Im thinking of having a crack at some criterium racing in Adelaide. Im not too sure if im strong enough and its really not the type of racing that suits my strengths (im a lightweight) but figure it might be a bit of fun.

So where are they run in Adelaide, what is involved, do I need a particular license or anything?

Also how does the grading work? A, B, C and D?

I assume that id start in D grade but am not sure. On a flat ride on my own i will generally average about 31 or 32 kph, sot sure if that helps.

Finally how are teh races structured? Is it x km's or a time frame? What type of speeds would they average so I can do a few solo practice rides to see how I would go?

Chriss

Re: Crit Races.

Postby Chriss » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:46 am

Hey, I've just started racing this month. You do need a licence, you can get one through a cycling club. Races are run by clubs, Norwood CC runs a crit series over summer. Grades are A-E, and there is a handicapper who will put you in a grade, if you've never raced before you will probably start in E and work up - that's where I've started. My first race was on the Clipsal track in Vic Park, but they can't use it now because of the set up for the Clipsal races, so the rest of the season is at Regency Park. I can only tell you what the one race was like, av. speed around 34-35km/h, 25 min race. It was great fun, so if you can come out and give it a go :D And I think because the next few races are just club races not open ones, you can do the 3 race permit to give it a go.

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 pm

hi chris im also interested in having a crack at the crit races. do i need to join norwood cycling club to participate in there crits or can anyone enter there events. also the 3 race thing your talking about what is the deal there? oh and also when are the races.
oh and another question what club are you a part of and how much does it cost
cheers
harry
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:05 am

http://www.sa.cycling.org.au/calendar/
Is the official calender and all clubs MUST enter when their races are being held

Norwood CC Is the biggest/most popular club in Adelaide
Port Adelaide CC Is the most popular for maybe members over 40years of age? can be corrected
I guess Sturt Holdfast Marion is also popular as Anna Meares is apart of it :lol:
The rest of the clubs are smaller but still have lots of friendly members and events.
(It doesn't matter which Club you join as you are able to enter other club's races. )

You are able to purchase 3 day licenses.
http://www.sa.cycling.org.au/default.as ... 022/17165/
NCC Prices/info (most/all clubs are around the same pricing)
Note; You will need a transponder which will cost $22 and maybe a club or a jersey with no advertising if you want to get serious/race anytime.

For your speed Solirossi you would probably be in C or D grade. I only average about 25 on a solo ride but can get around 30-34 in a group :oops:
For Vic park E grade averaged about 34ish(last race with no wind because of the new Clipsal stands)

The Cirts are normally always structured on time + laps
Road races in the winter run on Km's

Daniel S is the President of Port Adelaide CC and should probably come along soon

LVIS

Postby LVIS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:57 am

Chriss wrote:Hey, I've just started racing this month. You do need a licence, you can get one through a cycling club. Races are run by clubs, Norwood CC runs a crit series over summer. Grades are A-E, and there is a handicapper who will put you in a grade, if you've never raced before you will probably start in E and work up - that's where I've started. My first race was on the Clipsal track in Vic Park, but they can't use it now because of the set up for the Clipsal races, so the rest of the season is at Regency Park. I can only tell you what the one race was like, av. speed around 34-35km/h, 25 min race. It was great fun, so if you can come out and give it a go :D And I think because the next few races are just club races not open ones, you can do the 3 race permit to give it a go.
Hi Solirossi/Dirty Harry,
As Chriss wrote you can join any club. The handicapper would have a chat prior to racing to assess your grading. By the sound of your average, probably starting in D but with sound riding skills possibly C. Cycling SA have a video on crit racing which is worth a look.
NExt race is 6th Feb (AT) Regency, but new riders must nominate by 9pm wednesday prior. The race after that is at Lightsview, very tight course & definately would NOT recommend having your first race here.Remainder of the season is at Regency.
You can get a licence online thru CSA. I'm a member a Central Districts Cycling Club. If you go to CSA & click on membership & follow links to CDCC, send an email from club site & leave a contact # i can give you a call & answer any questions you may have.
CDCC is not a huge club and despite popular opinion we are not a "junior" club, we cater for cyclists of all ages. Our membership is active from ages 12-13 thru to masters. We give the impression that we are junior focussed because of the Junior Tour we run every year & we have a lot of junior licenced racers. Our members are active racers through every grade on road & track. We have many Sons/Daughters & Dad combinations thru to Elite world champions.
Would be happy to have a chat.

limetang

Postby limetang » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Im interested in this topic too now as I finally feel I have enough group riding experience and base fitness to take part in racing.
Living down south I would probably prefer a club down my side of town but i guess i would have to trek for races anyways so no matter, short term license
and giving a few races a go sounds pretty cool.

LVIS

Postby LVIS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi Limetang,

It really doesn't matter what club you join, as it really is a means of getting a licence. Everybody in every club is friendly & happy to help new members get into racing. All CSA clubs have an interest in getting people involved in the sport at whatever level you feel comfortable at.
As above please contact me at CDCC website & i'll be happy to have a chat.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:45 pm

I know this is odd.. but I'm kinda thinking I might give this a go. But then I might have a crack at MTB as well.

Maybe I should try this first as it won't require me to buy another bike. :D

Chriss

Postby Chriss » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:54 am

So have any of you thinking about it come out and had a go yet?

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 pm

am i right that it's crits in summer, road races in winter?

any info on road races?

LVIS

Postby LVIS » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 am

Crits & Track racing from October-March, Road racing April-September. That is with a Cycling South Australia Licence (CSA) "open Licence".
Road racing all year round with Vets.
Plenty of info available, but what would you like to know? For starters what age are you?
Depending on your age there are some different options.

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:21 am

chris. i have gone and raced a couple of times now. i naturally got put in e grade cos ive never raced before. im not fast enough to keep up but its good fun and id recommend it certainly.
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?