Lysterfield or You Yangs in early January, '08?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Lysterfield or You Yangs in early January, '08?

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:57 am

I'm probably bringing my MTB to Victoria with me when we drive over there after Christmas. Is anybody interested in a visit to one (or both) of these places for a bit of good clean dirt? Dates and times are fairly open at the moment, except for 5th Jan, which is my birthday (but I'll come out and play if you each give me a present .... :D)

Any other rides will also be considered. For instance, I'd love to do the Castlemaine - Bendigo (?) 80km ride but I know nothing about it.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Sounds interesting Graeme, but I'll hafta check the GLWs roster.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:12 pm

Hey, I can show you around Castlemaine if I can get a lift from Melb. I also live at the base of the Dandenongs and not far from Lysterfield. Not working, so PM me if you like when you're here. I like a bit of MTBing, I do....

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:34 am

Okay, I'm in Victoria and I have my MTB with me.

I'm likely to be visiting Lysterfield a few times over the next 10 days or so, probably early in the morning to avoid the heat. If anybody wants to join me, phone me on 0433 349 040 to organise a meeting point and time.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:25 pm

If you fancy some climbing, great views of Melbourne, descents, followed by some singletrack fun in beautiful forests and rural landscapes away from the 'masses' at Lysterfield, try this (Wednesday forecast: Min 16 Max 25 :) ). I may try and get along. I might fancy an evening/ night ride at Lysty later in the week when it cools down a bit (you can always take a dip in the lake)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:09 am

Thnaks for pointing that out Kukamunga - I'll see what Wednesday holds for me.

Night rides are out - left my lights at home (too much hassle and not enough space for every little thing ....)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Kalgrm/ Graeme and myself are doing a two to three hour MTB ride at Lysterfield Park (Melbourne) on Wednesday January 2 evening from 5.30pm. Bring water, snacks, tools, tube, pump etc. and lights if you plan staying out after 7.30pm.

Meet at Hallam North Road carpark at 5.15pm (Melways 82 K 10). If you don't think you can make it by 5.30pm, PM me to get my mobile phone number, and we could arrange to ride by carpark at 6pm after a short loop.

Not a beginners ride!

Tony

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks for posting that up Tony. I enjoyed the ride last night, and I especially enjoyed the lengthy chat breaks ..... ;)

I'm going up to Lysterfield again tomorrow morning. If anybody wants to join me, be at the Hallam Rd North car park by 6.45am for a 7.00am departure. I know it's early, but I need to be back in Aspendale by 9.30am.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:04 am

Graeme... you're online! :shock: . Sat or Sun - Upper Beaky? :?:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:01 am

...and off again .....

Back now though: I think Saturday arvo might be okay. I'll let you know on Saturday morning. I have a feeling the wife might get a bit narky though ....

Cheers,
Graeme

PS - what's the weather doing? Maybe Saturday or Sunday morning would be better to ride? Are you up for it?

PPS - had a good ride at Lysterfield this morning - love riding when the roos are slow! ;)
---------------------

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Weather-wise, Saturday is going to be a stinker (20-37) and could warm up quite early. Sunday, a change is due early morning (20-24). Sunday's the morn/day for me. May be able to get one or two others along, if not too early. Upper Beaky is not that much further away than Lysty.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:58 pm

kukamunga wrote:Weather-wise, Saturday is going to be a stinker (20-37)
Stinker? We've just finished a cool change where the temperatures were in that range. It came off a succession of 40+ days and now we're heading into another set of 40+ days.

Richard

I'm not jealous of your riding, just envious :roll:
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:25 pm

I spent many summers in Adelaide 10+ years ago - more of a dry heat. We tend more and more these days to have added humidity to our summer weather here in the deep south-east, making it that bit more 'troppo'. Is the same happening there, or is it still relatively 'dry'?

PS. I am a bit of a sook when it comes to hot weather. Melbournes' winters of the last ten years (drought) have been just fine and dandy by me 8)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:11 pm

I may be heading up to Mt Strathbogie and Kerang on Sunday and Monday. I need to get back to you on this.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:14 pm

Re this week & next weekend: I may be able to squeeze a few hours of local riding in Tuesday morn (Lysty, Doongalla, Dandenongs, Upper Beaky? Why not drop by and check out my bike collection!) Rest of week busy with family & friends visiting, though another evening ride wouldn't be out of the question. Thurs night I plan to go to MBTC meeting.