Murrarie track training, Brisbane.

Rando

Postby Rando » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:35 am

Hi all, I'm getting better at this recumbent riding as I get more practice. With a month coming up of no commuting, I want to get some track time in. Having no traffic is a welcome novelty. If anybody wants to join me, they would be most welcome. Today (24th) from 9 am to 12.
Lizard Edge Streamliner
Trisled Nitro
Velokraft VK2
M5 Shockprufe
Copenhagen Pedersen
'49 Super Elliot flat tracker

nitramluap

Re: Murrarie track training, Brisbane.

Postby nitramluap » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Rando,

I'm getting a recumbant soon and would like to do some track time at either the Murrarie or the Nundah criterium track (Nundah looks really nice). I've not been to either track. I'd be happy to do some laps with you one day. I'm a recumbant newbie!

Here is the Nundah Track:
http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.407852,1 ... d=20100912
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

Rando

Postby Rando » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:52 pm

OK, might try the Nundah track someday too. Thanks for that. How long till you get your machine? I just built a tailfairing for the Bachetta today, out of light plastic sheet called flute board. Testing tomorrow. Morning probably if the rain eases.
Lizard Edge Streamliner
Trisled Nitro
Velokraft VK2
M5 Shockprufe
Copenhagen Pedersen

Rando

Postby Rando » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Had a great ride this morning, made even better by the dude hand cranking his low slung Swiss carbon fibre tricycle around many laps at a respectable speed. He gets my Christmas points.
Tailbox fairings seems to work, but my new computer is the wrong one, cadence and wheel revs are on the same box, so it's not for a recumbent. I wonder what the LBS will say...?
Christmas points also to the Italian bloke who doesn't push much, but enjoys a few k's.
Lizard Edge Streamliner
Trisled Nitro
Velokraft VK2
M5 Shockprufe
Copenhagen Pedersen

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:03 pm

She should be here in a few weeks. I've not ridden a recumbant before so I might need a few weeks to learn the ropes. I can't wait.

Rando

Postby Rando » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:20 pm

What have you ordered?
I did quite a bit of practice before I took mine commuting. Well worth the effort.
It took about a month before I started to feel confident.
My car is bust today so no more driving to the track to have the sweet relaxed track experience.
Lizard Edge Streamliner
Trisled Nitro
Velokraft VK2
M5 Shockprufe
Copenhagen Pedersen

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:39 pm

nitramluap wrote:She should be here in a few weeks. I've not ridden a recumbant before so I might need a few weeks to learn the ropes. I can't wait.
The suspense is killing me! :mrgreen:

Rando

Postby Rando » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:59 pm

hey nitramluap, got that laid back machine yet?
That comedian must be holding his breath...

I got the car fixed, but don't get to the track at all, just ride to the city and back each day. That seems to be enough.
The tailbox fairing means I had to put a smaller cog on the back, so that's 28 to 11 now, and top is 118 inches per rev.
Lizard Edge Streamliner
Trisled Nitro
Velokraft VK2
M5 Shockprufe
Copenhagen Pedersen

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 pm

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Very nice and great colour you seem at home with it looking the bit but the elbo resting on the top there made me laugh. :D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:40 pm

nitramluap wrote:Here she is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VL4NqGrxU0

:)
Wohooo! :mrgreen:

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Well, That is a surprise. What a beauty.
Look forward to a ride report in due course.

John

trickle

Postby trickle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:43 am

Posted this on your you tube, I know I'll cop some flaming here for this but anywho:
Awesome work! I particularly liked the part where you berate car drivers for touting road rules yet on several occasions you failed to indicate a left hand turn (11:55), make a left hand turn from right hand lane, (12:05) or give way at the round about (12:23). Hello pot the kettle is calling.
Ok so TORUM only mentions how to make a right hand turn but surely we can still hang the old left arm out now and then? Oh that thing doesn't measure 7.5 meters does it?

DIYCBA. :lol:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:30 am

trickle wrote:

Posted this on your you tube, I know I'll cop some flaming here for this but anywho:
Awesome work! I particularly liked the part where you berate car drivers for touting road rules yet on several occasions you failed to indicate a left hand turn (11:55), make a left hand turn from right hand lane, (12:05) or give way at the round about (12:23). Hello pot the kettle is calling.
Ok so TORUM only mentions how to make a right hand turn but surely we can still hang the old left arm out now and then? Oh that thing doesn't measure 7.5 meters does it?

Aaah... How do you know he didn't indicate? Did you know that the mango has inbuilt led blinkers that you can't see on the video?

Hand signals are a optional extra when you have proper blinkers ;)

trickle

Postby trickle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:39 am

Good call and well played.

Though I stand by his other infringements as petty as they are.

Now off we all go to scour over TORUM and pick my comment to pieces.

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:20 am

trickle wrote:Good call and well played.

Though I stand by his other infringements as petty as they are.

Now off we all go to scour over TORUM and pick my comment to pieces.
I've replied to your other comments, trickle, on the YouTube page - including the fact that the Mango has indicators (it also has a brake light, fog light, daytime running lights, etc).

I would like to go further and say that in some circumstances road rules aren't helpful to bicycle riders at all - no matter what they ride. For example, physically stopping at every stop sign. I don't always do this and I doubt there is a cyclist in the world that does it every time - and it is obvious why. I almost always stop on red lights but when I ride to work in the wee hours on my upright dutch bike, it doesn't trigger the sensors at a particular intersection (with no pedestrian option) so unless another car shows up... I sit there indefinitely. I choose to run the light.

While there may have been some petty infringements in my video (at 7am on a Sunday) - I'm sure you missed a few- none were endangering any other living creature or... god forbid... someone's precious car. The Mango offers also no more protection than a regular bicycle so it is my interest to not risk hitting anything. To date, it doesn't have so much as a scratch.

Don't forget that the road rules are primarily to prevent motor vehicle drivers from killing & maiming other road users, not the other way around. If there were no motorised vehicles, there would be no stop signs & traffic lights... and almost no deaths.

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:37 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Very nice and great colour you seem at home with it looking the bit but the elbo resting on the top there made me laugh. :D
The reason I put my arms out like that is for cooling as it is not that comfortable - I have to sit up a little more to get my shoulders up.

When moving quickly, the holes at the base of the Mango allow some airflow through the cabin for cooling (which works well) and my head & face is in the airstream - although the helmet really prevents a great deal of evaporative cooling. However at low speeds particularly, I find that putting my arms out greatly increases the cooling effect of sweat evaporating from my arms. I mainly do it when I'm going slowly up hills.

Having my arms & legs shaded from the direct sun makes an enormous difference to how hot I get in the first place.

trickle

Postby trickle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:27 pm

nitramluap wrote: I would like to go further and say that in some circumstances road rules aren't helpful to bicycle riders at all - no matter what they ride. For example, physically stopping at every stop sign. I don't always do this and I doubt there is a cyclist in the world that does it every time - and it is obvious why. I almost always stop on red lights but when I ride to work in the wee hours on my upright dutch bike, it doesn't trigger the sensors at a particular intersection (with no pedestrian option) so unless another car shows up... I sit there indefinitely. I choose to run the light.
Still sounds to me that you are trying to justify breaking road rules, the very road rules you and other camera wearing cyclists would have no hassle in dobbing another vehicle driver into QPS for breaking. I don't care what time of the day or night you ride, whether the rules are helpful to cyclist or not, they are just that a rule to be followed by road users. Not just when it is helpful to you.
While there may have been some petty infringements in my video (at 7am on a Sunday) - I'm sure you missed a few- none were endangering any other living creature or... god forbid... someone's precious car. The Mango offers also no more protection than a regular bicycle so it is my interest to not risk hitting anything. To date, it doesn't have so much as a scratch.
Sorry how does this factor in your decision making process to cross into an oncoming lane to make a "racing line"? Indicator or not you put yourself at risk, anyone of the cars parked along the roads edge could have pulled out on you, or a pedestrian walked to the center lane and became mango mario kart mince! Is it so hard to slow a little stay in your lane and corner quick but safely? Or does loosing the few km's per hour in braking for a corner result in more pedaling... you are right, that''s not using the road rules so they are helpful to us cyclists!
Don't forget that the road rules are primarily to prevent motor vehicle drivers from killing & maiming other road users, not the other way around. If there were no motorised vehicles, there would be no stop signs & traffic lights... and almost no deaths.
Ah, your true colours! get rid of all the cars, make it bicycles and mango's only!! Biketopia does not and will not exist here. Your Dutch mates are close but very hard to crusade here.

You are incorrect here, road rules are not written just for motor vehicle operators to prevent killing and maiming. Look at them as a form of risk management.
Riding, driving, walking hell even mangoing on the road involves an element of risk, the road rules are there to manage that risk and not so much to be helpful.

Look, I really don't give a toss if you want to shove your mango into corners so that you don't have to pedal so much (that wouldn't be helpful!) but isn't that part of the idea to riding a bike? Greener transport and a workout?

What I disagree with is camera touting cycling and commuting extremists making a menace of themselves on the roads and aggravating other road users to provoke a reaction so they can post it on their youtube channel...Not saying you do but... If we want safer roads and motorists to give us room? Follow the rules that they (and we!) have to and stop justifying breaking them. Reduce your footprint on the road and keep the racing lines on the track. We ALL need to share the same road.

And if you see me at the Muzz or Nundah, stay right!!! :P

william

Postby william » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:04 pm

Argue rules all you like, you'll be doing it forever. They are for safety.

As for the Mango... Bee... You... Tee... Ful!

And your ride... I don't know Brizzy very much at all but that seems a nice route for cycling with a bit of diversity thrown in. The camera did a great job too. I've been on the fence getting one but have had trouble seeing rego plates with passing vehicles. I have an old canon something that gives good video but restrictive with mounting, vibration and weather. So not many photos or video.

Your helmet I couldn't figure out... Doesn't have enough ventilation especially for Brizzy but that can easily be changed.

I must admit you did surprise me with your acquisition. I was expecting either a nice homebuilt or exotic carbon. The Velo was a surprise. Strange that in the last 2 weeks I have bumped into 3 others here in Melb with velos although one had destroyed his derailleur and waiting for a lift. Nearly strain my neck muscles when I see them. I guess that is what most people do when they see something rare and unusual.

I hope you get a huge amount of enjoyment from it.

regards,

william.

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:36 pm

william wrote:As for the Mango... Bee... You... Tee... Ful!
Thanks, William. It is a real pleasure to ride and I've used it to do some shopping runs already although I don't like leaving it parked outside unaccompanied for too long! It does have an alarm inside which goes beserk if anyone bumps it.
william wrote:And your ride... I don't know Brizzy very much at all but that seems a nice route for cycling with a bit of diversity thrown in. The camera did a great job too. I've been on the fence getting one but have had trouble seeing rego plates with passing vehicles. I have an old canon something that gives good video but restrictive with mounting, vibration and weather. So not many photos or video.
It's quite a nice little ride and on a Sunday morning there are few cars, or anything else for that matter - except cyclists - which makes it very pleasant. I usually stick to bikeways, heading out to Carole Park and back to stretch my legs. My normal work commute takes me to Wacol (but on my upright dutch bike with panniers, etc) so I know the area very well and there are plenty of hills to enjoy.
william wrote: Your helmet I couldn't figure out... Doesn't have enough ventilation especially for Brizzy but that can easily be changed.
Frankly, I wish I had the choice to not wear it but alas that is not the case (perhaps one day...? http://helmetfreedom.org). It does have reasonable venting but it is more a winter helmet. I have another helmet with larger vents which might be better.
william wrote: I must admit you did surprise me with your acquisition. I was expecting either a nice homebuilt or exotic carbon. The Velo was a surprise. Strange that in the last 2 weeks I have bumped into 3 others here in Melb with velos although one had destroyed his derailleur and waiting for a lift. Nearly strain my neck muscles when I see them. I guess that is what most people do when they see something rare and unusual.

I hope you get a huge amount of enjoyment from it.

regards,

william.
I'd love test ride one of the RotoVelos (I presume this is the one you saw in Melbourne) when next I'm down there. I've not seen another Velomobile in Brisbane but I'm sure there is one somewhere. I have passed a few recumbents - but only a few - over the years.

Most of my rides are at a leisurely 30km/h but from time to time I stretch its legs (as in the film). I've posted a few more on YouTube and will probably post another one showing its features in more detail down the track.

Cheers,

Paul

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:55 pm

trickle wrote:

X 2 on your comments.

I think this guy is eventually going to have an issue on the river loop with his riding technique and lack of experience - especially as he doesnt even have a flag to increase his visibility :roll:

And he has a video up of himself riding without a helmet, so it is the pot calling the kettle black.

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:44 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote: I think this guy is eventually going to have an issue on the river loop with his riding technique and lack of experience - especially as he doesnt even have a flag to increase his visibility :roll:
A flag is not required by law and if you can't see a 2.5m long red/white velomobile you must be blind. Out of curiosity, given that the vehicle heights are similar, do you advocate little flags for, say, a Lotus Elise? No? What's the difference?

I'm also curious how you can tell my cycling history & experience from a short film. Perhaps we raced together back in the late 80s/early 90s and you are recalling something from back then? Mysterious. Do tell.
Drunkmonkey wrote: And he has a video up of himself riding without a helmet, so it is the pot calling the kettle black.
I do not respect laws that protect the individual from themselves - they are unjust. Laws are meant to protect society and individuals from others' actions. If you think mandatory helmet legislation (and bicycle helmet wearing at all times) is a good idea then there is nothing more to discuss on that topic... you are a true believer in the magical properties of the bicycle helmet.

I hope you are not of those charming individuals that yells "Where's your f#$%king helmet!?" at me as they pass by while I ride to work. I barely drive my car; I ride a bicycle everywhere and do everything by bike. I ride 6000km per year just on my Dutch bike alone, doing such trips; add to that the 1000km I do every year on my 40kg cargo bike; and I'm heading towards 9000km per year on the Mango if I keep up the current rate... Oh, and then I need to add my road bike odometer to the mix.

...I guess I'm not experienced enough yet.

I've also spent many years at amateur-level kart racing (120km/h rotary engine karts...) so I have some experience with that too... but I suppose all those handling skills don't mean anything either.

trickle

Postby trickle » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 pm

nitramluap wrote:
I do not respect laws that protect the individual from themselves - they are unjust. Laws are meant to protect society and individuals from others' actions. If you think mandatory helmet legislation (and bicycle helmet wearing at all times) is a good idea then there is nothing more to discuss on that topic... you are a true believer in the magical properties of the bicycle helmet.
Of the 3 serious high speed high impact crashes I have been involved in during both racing and recreational riding, my helmet has saved me from serious head injuries. By far the worst event was a trip over the bars at around 40kph off road resulting in a 7 meter drop landing directly on my head onto a rocky scree slope ( yes it is partially why I am the way I am now :mrgreen: ). Tell me oh wise hippy how my un protected skull would have been better off not wearing a helmet?

If you have been racing since the late 80's early 90's you should have told Fabio casartelli how useless helmets are and how great a job the human skull does all by it's self:

Inappropriate image removed and user warned.

Bet his family would love to hear your views!
I hope you are not of those charming individuals that yells "Where's your removed helmet!?" at me as they pass by while I ride to work. I barely drive my car; I ride a bicycle everywhere and do everything by bike. I ride 6000km per year just on my Dutch bike alone, doing such trips; add to that the 1000km I do every year on my 40kg cargo bike; and I'm heading towards 9000km per year on the Mango if I keep up the current rate... Oh, and then I need to add my road bike odometer to the mix.

And there you go again, defending yourself breaking a law. You are not experienced, just lucky... so far.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:48 pm

trickle wrote:
nitramluap wrote:
Of the 3 serious high speed high impact crashes I have been involved in during both racing and recreational riding, my helmet has saved me from serious head injuries. By far the worst event was a trip over the bars at around 40kph off road resulting in a 7 meter drop landing directly on my head onto a rocky scree slope ( yes it is partially why I am the way I am now :mrgreen: ). Tell me oh wise hippy how my un protected skull would have been better off not wearing a helmet?

If you have been racing since the late 80's early 90's you should have told Fabio casartelli how useless helmets are and how great a job the human skull does all by it's self:
Inappropriate image removed and user warned.

Bet his family would love to hear your views!
I hope you are not of those charming individuals that yells "Where's your f#$%king helmet!?" at me as they pass by while I ride to work. I barely drive my car; I ride a bicycle everywhere and do everything by bike. I ride 6000km per year just on my Dutch bike alone, doing such trips; add to that the 1000km I do every year on my 40kg cargo bike; and I'm heading towards 9000km per year on the Mango if I keep up the current rate... Oh, and then I need to add my road bike odometer to the mix.

And there you go again, defending yourself breaking a law. You are not experienced, just lucky... so far.
It's hard to argue these things. If you want to wear a helmet - do :mrgreen: I know I do too.

What isn't seen is all the unmade trips that lead to lifestyle diseases. They might not be so visible as a tragic accident but they cause deaths all the same - and thousands and thousands of them a year. I was sitting in a bunch of people at a cycling as transport type meeting and said look at these people. Out of 40 there was probably one obese person. This is not normal in our society. Any barrier to cycling is bad, and as an existing cyclist it's almost impossible for us to see the barrier. Hell I got dressed up as a yellow human banana and rode 90k this morning. If looking like that isn't a barrier to me very little else would be. :mrgreen:

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:13 pm

nitramluap wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote: I think this guy is eventually going to have an issue on the river loop with his riding technique and lack of experience - especially as he doesnt even have a flag to increase his visibility :roll:
A flag is not required by law and if you can't see a 2.5m long red/white velomobile you must be blind. Out of curiosity, given that the vehicle heights are similar, do you advocate little flags for, say, a Lotus Elise? No? What's the difference?

I'm also curious how you can tell my cycling history & experience from a short film. Perhaps we raced together back in the late 80s/early 90s and you are recalling something from back then? Mysterious. Do tell.
Drunkmonkey wrote: And he has a video up of himself riding without a helmet, so it is the pot calling the kettle black.

I've also spent many years at amateur-level kart racing (120km/h rotary engine karts...) so I have some experience with that too... but I suppose all those handling skills don't mean anything either.
I dont drive to work - but if you are riding to work without a helmet then you deserve to have bogans yelling at you imo.

You arent experienced riding that velomobile - you said it yourself.
I've not ridden a recumbant before so I might need a few weeks to learn the ropes. I can't wait.