Sram Red vs Dura Ace

ni78ck

Sram Red vs Dura Ace

Postby ni78ck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Im looking at upgrading my current bike :D
its taken 2 and a half years, but upgraditis seams to be getting the better of me.
i currently ride on dura ace 7800 and im very happy with it. for my next bike im considering sram red. what are the advantages/disadvantages of each, for those who have tried both? i would be looking at 7900 dura ace.

is Di2 worth it? :? :P
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

sogood

Re: Sram Red vs Dura Ace

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:04 pm

Go and take a test ride and see which you prefer! Fortunately your existing wheels are compatible with a SRAM move. Enjoy shopping! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:07 pm

sogood wrote:Go and take a test ride and see which you prefer! Fortunately your existing wheels are compatible with a SRAM move. Enjoy shopping! :mrgreen:
good point, i have been offered by some of my fellow riders to try their sram red. they love it! the like the fact they you dont have to extend your fingers all the way to move the brake lever.
Cervelo R5

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:10 pm

sogood is right, ride them both. I love the operation of my SRAM Red. They both move the chain and are of similar quality so go for the one you are comfortable with.

/I'm just a hack with no idea but this is the advice I was given and it worked for me. :lol:

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Both are great gruppos. Trying to differentiate....
Red is lighter, DA is quieter, DA is probably a bit better 'quality'. But its 6 one way half a dozen the other. Iv never used Red but apparently its ergonomics are brilliant.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:24 pm

At that level, you're going to find that Dura Ace, Record and Red all work really well. It really comes down to cost and ergonomics.

Or to be shallow about it, brand allegience.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Uncle Grumpy wrote:At that level, you're going to find that Dura Ace, Record and Red all work really well. It really comes down to cost and ergonomics.

Grumps
:P :P my allegiance is with shimano at the moment, but happy to shift to sram, but not campo as parts seam way more expensive :?
Cervelo R5

BigVin

Postby BigVin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 pm

My new bike has Sram Red and I love it!
Forza Basso - Vincere per noi!

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Uncle Grumpy wrote:At that level, you're going to find that Dura Ace, Record and Red all work really well. It really comes down to cost and ergonomics.
I completely agree with your statement... And then Super Record rises above them all! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

philip

Postby philip » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:47 pm

My allegiance has also been with shimano, mainly because I've bought all the tools to do work on my shimano bits, but apparently sram is all interchangeable with shimano so it's all good, no new tools involved.

The main reason for me saying sram is that when I was down in Adelaide on the ride out to Wilunga, my FD cable snapped (inside the shifter, keeps happening, pain in the arse) so I was stuck in the small ring. I had actually brought a spare with me and a mate had it at the bottom of the hill, although I didn't have cable cutters so it wasn't going to be easy. On the way down the hill I happened to notice one of the vans parked on the side of the road had "SRAM neutral service" on the side of it. I got to the bottom of the hill and my mate was still a way away and there were huge crowds so I wasn't going to be able to get to him in time for the race going up the hill. So I rode back up to the van that I'd seen on the way down and asked about, a mechanic stopped what he was doing, took my bike, put it up on a stand, replaced the cable, tuned it all up for me and refused any sort of payment! Super nice guys. All they wanted was to have a go at me for having a "treeeek" bike with shimano gear, they made me promise to get a bmc with sram next. Pretty convincing!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

ni78ck wrote:

Grumps
:P :P my allegiance is with shimano at the moment, but happy to shift to sram, but not campo as parts seam way more expensive :?
In that case, can you afford to replace either if you stack it and bust the brifters?!

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:52 pm

familyguy wrote:
ni78ck wrote:

Grumps
In that case, can you afford to replace either if you stack it and bust the brifters?!
i will take out insurance :P so all should be good if a stack does happen.
Cervelo R5

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:00 pm

philip wrote: ...., my FD cable snapped (inside the shifter, keeps happening, pain in the arse) so I was stuck in the small ring. I had actually brought a spare with me and a mate had it at the bottom of the hill, ....
Any reason as to why ?

From what I have read (Shimano DA7800 & 105/5600 user here) is that for shift quality/noise, Shimano wins, but SRAM is still pretty good with some nice features.

laager

Postby laager » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Both are top notch, as is Record. IMO Red definitely looks better esp the cranks, has adjustable reach and is a lighter

The operation is a different (pretty easy to up-shift instead of down-shifting on your first few rides) so ultimately it comes down to preference...and allegiance.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:41 pm

If you are looking to get bits on a budget Force is just as light as DA. I noticed that 7900 DA has reach adjustment too?

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:44 pm

sogood wrote:
I completely agree with your statement... And then Super Record rises above them all! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Friends don't let friends ride Campy... :P

As to the question from the OP, I can't comment on the functionality or ergonomics of SRAM having never ridden a bike equipped with it, but I think you would have to take into account the availability at most LBS' of Shimano parts whereas a lot of them probably don't keep any SRAM parts in stock. OK, you are probably going to buy most of your parts from Wiggle/PBK et al but what if something breaks or bends and you simply must have a new one TODAY?

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:46 pm

ni78ck wrote:my allegiance is with shimano at the moment
DA will go nicely with the new C50 wheels :mrgreen:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:26 pm

I went with DA7900 on my latest S3 build and must say i am quite disapponted with it... All my previous bikes have been shimano shod, and unless I take the jump to Di2 one day, this will probably be the last DA gruppo I go for... My RS cervelo runs DA 7800 and it is fantastic, pure quality, and shifts very very well. DA7900 feels inferior in quality with is over use of plastic. Shifting is significantly poorer than 7800, altho this maybe due a little with the S3s cable internal routing being less than direct. Also for some reason Shimano decided that increasing the throw of the brifter to change gears from the 7800 to 7900 would be a good idea? Say What? I also dislike the 7900 exposed internal shifting mechanism as it looks crap and also rubs blisters on my fingers when climbing (have to put my gloves on before getting out of saddle!). The only aesthetic positive to 7900 is the concealed cabling, besides the small weight drop.

Try Red prior to your build. If u ike it go wth that. It looks better, shifts better than 7900, weighs less, and is significantly cheaper.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:I went with DA7900 on my latest S3 build and must say i am quite disapponted with it... All my previous bikes have been shimano shod, and unless I take the jump to Di2 one day, this will probably be the last DA gruppo I go for... My RS cervelo runs DA 7800 and it is fantastic, pure quality, and shifts very very well. DA7900 feels inferior in quality with is over use of plastic. Shifting is significantly poorer than 7800, altho this maybe due a little with the S3s cable internal routing being less than direct. Also for some reason Shimano decided that increasing the throw of the brifter to change gears from the 7800 to 7900 would be a good idea? WT?? I also dislike the 7900 exposed internal shifting mechanism as it looks crap and also rubs blisters on my fingers when climbing (have to put my gloves on before getting out of saddle!). The only aesthetic positive to 7900 is the concealed cabling, besides the small weight drop.

Try Red prior to your build. If u ike it go wth that. It looks better, shifts better than 7900, weighs less, and is significantly cheaper.
thanks for your input doc, im looking at the S3 and most of them are built with sram red now :o
good to get your feed back on the 7900 and S3 :shock: they also come with rotor cranks which do look hot, and are specifically made to fit the BB30.
Cervelo R5

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Richard.L wrote:If you are looking to get bits on a budget Force is just as light as DA. I noticed that 7900 DA has reach adjustment too?
im really not too too fussed on weight, but lighter is better! :P
Cervelo R5

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:54 pm

BigVin wrote:My new bike has Sram Red and I love it!
+1, I'm a fan. I also dont have big gorilla hands so these fit me well.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

BigVin

Postby BigVin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:22 pm

I have semi - gorilla hands I love it!
Forza Basso - Vincere per noi!

laager

Postby laager » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:07 pm

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philip

Postby philip » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:07 am

MichaelB wrote:
philip wrote: ...., my FD cable snapped (inside the shifter, keeps happening, pain in the arse) so I was stuck in the small ring. I had actually brought a spare with me and a mate had it at the bottom of the hill, ....
Any reason as to why ?

From what I have read (Shimano DA7800 & 105/5600 user here) is that for shift quality/noise, Shimano wins, but SRAM is still pretty good with some nice features.
Yeah besides the issue with the cables fraying on the inside of the brifters (105) I have no problem with my 105 gear, I train/race on it and it's solid. I've only had a quick look at sram red and it looks nice and the shifting felt fine, so the choice probably just comes down to a personal thing.