Radio host Matt Tilley hit by car

Ross

Radio host Matt Tilley hit by car

Postby Ross » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:33 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainme ... 5997401235

RADIO host Matt Tilley has a broken back after being knocked off his bike in St Kilda on Saturday.

The Matt and Jo Show breakfast star and keen cyclist bounced and rolled along the road after being hit by a car, fracturing two vertebrae and a rib and bruising his kidney.

"I was riding along past the St Kilda Sea Baths, obviously training for London 2012, and got knocked off my bike by a guy who swung across the bike lane... and just smash," he told his Fox FM breakfast colleagues.

"And I sort of did the human tumbleweed along the road for a while. Eventually I came to a stop and an ambulance came and I got the green whistle."

According to Tilley, known for his prank "gotcha" calls, the motorist didn't see him and crossed lanes without indicating.

Tilley said the motorist was "very apologetic" and shocked when the top rated breakfast host gave him his name.

Tilley spent the night at The Alfred Hospital and is now recovering at home.

"They can't do anything. I have just got to lie still and relieve the pain so the other muscles don't spasm," he said.

Austereo management has urged Matt to take as long as he needs to get back on his feet.

Tilley is a keen cyclist who has taken part in sections of the Tour de France course.

gorilla monsoon

Re: Radio host Matt Tilley hit by car

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:54 pm

His legal team is gunna have some fun with the driver, I'm guessing.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Hopefully the media will make big thing of it, maybe these kinds of incidents, as unfortunate as they are, will highlight things.

I am glad he is going to be OK.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:20 pm

we need someone from MMM to get hit on their bike - this would really resonate with the tradies who are a major culprit in these cases :)

ratter

Postby ratter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:23 pm

He recently rode for 24 hrs for charity

http://www.fox.com.au/shows/mattandjo/g ... e-ride-map

oztim

Postby oztim » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:02 pm

i cant believe the antagonism with some of the posters in the comments section,where do these people come from!!!
Last edited by oztim on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:57 pm

oztim wrote:i cant believe the antagonism with some of the posters in the comments section,where do these people come from!!!
A nice little three bedroom, four car gutter :roll:

I see smokeboxers drift in and through bikelanes all the time, can it be their version of running red lights?

Hope Matt comes good soon.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 am

jules21 wrote:we need someone from MMM to get hit on their bike - this would really resonate with the tradies who are a major culprit in these cases :)
He does work for Triple M in Sydney. He does the 'gotcha calls', so that should resonate with the target audience.

Jim

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:36 am

jules21 wrote:we need someone from MMM to get hit on their bike - this would really resonate with the tradies who are a major culprit in these cases :)
:twisted:

master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

wheels46

Postby wheels46 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:40 am

I wonder how his Pinarello Prince survived?? :cry: I'm picking not a pretty sight... Hope he gets well soon.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:29 pm

wheels46 wrote:I wonder how his Pinarello Prince survived?? :cry: I'm picking not a pretty sight... Hope he gets well soon.
It didn't.

Tho' how one can tell the difference between a showroom new unit and a smashed and twisted one is beyond me. :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wheels46

Postby wheels46 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
wheels46 wrote:I wonder how his Pinarello Prince survived?? :cry: I'm picking not a pretty sight... Hope he gets well soon.
Tho' how one can tell the difference between a showroom new unit and a smashed and twisted one is beyond me. :twisted:
Probably has perfectly straight forks now ?? :?

bigfut

Postby bigfut » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm an avid listener of the show. Sad to hear, as he did an awesome thing with the charity ride a few months ago. Just goes to show it can happen to anyone at any time.
I hope they make an example out of the driver.