hot day and glove hands

ShanDog

hot day and glove hands

Postby ShanDog » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:42 am

Well I just did a 57km bike ride today with my brother and a mate. we rode from cheltenham to north sydney, stopped for a beer in the rocks and headed back to cheltenham. The day was beautiful, with plenty of sunshine. The problem? we all forgot to wear suncream :evil: All three of us now have singlet burns and to top it all off i'm the only one to wear riding gloves so I now have very red arms and white hands :( :( :( It was a great ride, very exhausting but I'm regretting forgetting the suncream
Last edited by ShanDog on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:50 am

Sounds like a great ride, despite the Mickey Mouse look of your arms :D . I'm well aware of the upper arm tan shadow, but hadn't considered the hands before.

Richard
hmm, a ride to the pub. Might just make a habit of that :roll:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:10 am

Guess what? Just discovered a new pair of gloves that has this "Tan Thru" material on the back. Supposedly it would give you an even tan right down to your finger tips... Roeckl is the brand! 8)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:25 am

sogood wrote:Guess what? Just discovered a new pair of gloves that has this "Tan Thru" material on the back. Supposedly it would give you an even tan right down to your finger tips... Roeckl is the brand! 8)

Any idea where to get them in Sydney?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:30 am

CBD on Kent has them. It's a boutique German brand and it's kinda expensive. :cry:

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:38 am

Hey Mickey, I mean Sbra9635, next ride you'll have to where a long sleeve shirt and no gloves to tan up the white bits.

I just found a nice pair of gloves. Lots of padding.
They were down from $34 to $17. Only problem was the XL size was too small. I could only just get them on but it was a struggle and I'd probably still get numb hands from lack of blood getting into my hands!

matagi

Postby matagi » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:46 am

Any of you guys checked your legs recently? How about that lovely tide mark just above the knees where the knicks end and the one down at the ankles where the socks end.

Looks really interesting when wearing normal shorts and sandals/thongs.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:39 am

Not having worn shorts for years, my legs are aquiring their tan. At the moment, it's sort of washed out and patchy, like a bad spray paint job. Looks almost as though I've been mowing a very dusty lawn and my legs are covered in dust (ie, dirty). Lovely look, but it beats shocking white.

Richard

bugga, the CFS just took off past my house in a great rush with wail of sirens ... and it's only just turned 9 o'clock. Looks like it'll be a fun day in the bush. :(

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:56 am

matagi wrote:Any of you guys checked your legs recently? How about that lovely tide mark just above the knees where the knicks end and the one down at the ankles where the socks end.
I have three pairs of nicks, each with different lengths. So there's a fair transition. However the same can't be said around the ankles... And this is only the start of summer. :oops:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:26 am

matagi wrote:Any of you guys checked your legs recently? How about that lovely tide mark just above the knees where the knicks end and the one down at the ankles where the socks end.
Talking about style, what happened to Fauxpass? I haven't seen a post in ages. He lives up your way ?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

matagi

Postby matagi » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:37 pm

No idea about Fauxpas, one minute he was there, the next he was gone. He was planning to join the Central Coast Cycling Club, but I don't think he did.

Yeah, he lives somewhere in Gosford I think, but I have a feeling he actually worked in Sydney.

Guess he'll have to remain one of life's little mysteries. :)

JackHenry

Postby JackHenry » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:23 pm

To cut down on the weight of Lycra, just write a sponsers name on your back in sunscreen and then go for a topless ride. Next time you go out, the sponsers name will be permanently white against your nice tan.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:58 pm

Last long ride I went, I wore sunscreen (cause I'm sensible) but went without gloves. Now, I had sunscreen on my hands, but I kept wiping the sweat off my face with the back of my right hand, so only the back of my right hand got sunburnt. :P

europa

Postby europa » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:14 pm

How do you lot get on with sunscreens? I sweat like crazy at the best of times, and when I worked out in the open all the time, found that full length shirts and trousers were far better than sunscreen. Seriously, within a short period, I'd be sheathed in sweat with the sunscreen floating on top. However, ankles to wrist coverage doesn't work on a bike.

So do you other extreme sweaters rely on sunscreen? Rely on the power of wishful thinking to prevent cancer? Wear a full, woolen sweat suit?

What do you do? Seriously.

Richard

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:32 am

tuco wrote:Hey Mickey, I mean Sbra9635, next ride you'll have to where a long sleeve shirt and no gloves to tan up the white bits.
haha very funny.... :x I've been getting called things like mickey mouse ever since. people have been offering suggestions too like go to the beach and put the towel over your body except your hands, or wear long sleeve shirts all the time. the good thing is that my watch on my left hand covers the line between white and red/brown so its a lot harder to tell but and my right side is less burnt than my left so its harder to tell. Whats worse though is my mate who joined me is very pale and burns very easily compared to my brother and I. He actually got a couple of blisters. But he is VERY pale. I'll be brown by late saturday thanks to my european heritage :P

matagi

Postby matagi » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:27 am

europa wrote:How do you lot get on with sunscreens? I sweat like crazy at the best of times, and when I worked out in the open all the time, found that full length shirts and trousers were far better than sunscreen. Seriously, within a short period, I'd be sheathed in sweat with the sunscreen floating on top. However, ankles to wrist coverage doesn't work on a bike.

So do you other extreme sweaters rely on sunscreen? Rely on the power of wishful thinking to prevent cancer? Wear a full, woolen sweat suit?

What do you do? Seriously.

Richard
I made up some arm covers using white fabric (cotton/spandex) which worked a treat on the recent Great Victorian Bike Ride. The cotton soaked up the sweat, which then evaporated as I rode. You could make some leg covers from the same stuff to give you all over cover.

Now all I need to do is work out how to cover my face up. :P

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:13 pm

the ol' paper bag with eye cutouts not working? clunk your helmet ontop of that and it should hold it in place well enough... :P

matagi

Postby matagi » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:17 pm

Are you implying I'd look better with a paper bag over my head? :?

I'm hurt. :(

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:17 pm

europa wrote:How do you lot get on with sunscreens? ... Seriously, within a short period, I'd be sheathed in sweat with the sunscreen floating on top. However, ankles to wrist coverage doesn't work on a bike.
I've got a couple of these http://www.jaggad.com/au/product_info.p ... 04a8dbc4e3
They are pretty comfortable. The fit is a bit looser and the fabric breathes well - the yellow gets dirty really easily though. :? I don't like having long sleeves, but as I've got used to it, it's preferable to sunscreen (and lots better than forgetting sunscreen).
I use sunscreen on my legs (Banana Boat). If you put it on 10 minutes before you go out, it doesn't 'sweat out' as much.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:49 pm

$110 :shock:
I was interested till I saw that. But yeah, I've got to do something.

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:55 am

I'm sure that you've built a good commerical relationship with your friendly bike shop buy now - I think that I paid $79 (mates' rates) for mine.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:22 pm

sogood wrote:Guess what? Just discovered a new pair of gloves that has this "Tan Thru" material on the back. Supposedly it would give you an even tan right down to your finger tips... Roeckl is the brand! 8)
sogood wrote:CBD on Kent has them. It's a boutique German brand and it's kinda expensive. :cry:
I went over to CBD just yesterday to check out these gloves and buy some other stuff for my bike. I asked a few of the guys working there and they all said they'd never heard of these things. Is there any chance you could point me out to some more information on these gloves. That'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Shannon

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:51 pm

sbra9635 wrote:I went over to CBD just yesterday to check out these gloves and buy some other stuff for my bike. I asked a few of the guys working there and they all said they'd never heard of these things. Is there any chance you could point me out to some more information on these gloves. That'd be greatly appreciated.
Roeckl is the brand,
http://www.roeckl.de/sports/index.html

I actually doubt it's as effective as their advertisment. For one thing, I can't see how one can avoid the imprint from the velcro strip at the back of the wrist. But it's probably better than some of the other brands. Other than that, the gloves are pretty well made.