Mt Gravatt Repeats: Popular Night???

MountGower

Mt Gravatt Repeats: Popular Night???

Postby MountGower » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 am

G'day

I'm thinking of trying to get over to Mt Gravatt in the evening once a week, during the week and doing some repeats. Does anyone know if there is a night that is popular for this already? I'd prefer to go on a night where there are plenty of other riders, if possible, as an anti gutless wonder measure.

Cheers

heay

Re: Mt Gravatt Repeats: Popular Night???

Postby heay » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Let me know which night you would perfer as I would like to do this as well.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:05 am

G'day Heay

I would prefer Tuesday or Wednesday and don't mind starting something if there is no popular time already. Thursday night is probably bevan heaven up there. The earliest I can get there is 4.30pm and the latest I'd like to start is 6pm. Tuesday and Wednesday appeal because they are mid week and won't tax me for my Saturday morning adventures.

I may be able to convince another rider to attend. I'm not looking to even ride in a group, as everyone climbs at diffent speeds and needs to get some benefit from attending. It'd just be good to have other riders on the mountain at the same time, each going at their own speed.

Cheers

Abby

Postby Abby » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:21 am

Hi MG,

I believe early on Wednesday mornings is 'peak hour' for Mt Gravatt repeats.

I knwo that doesn't fit in your posted timeframe, but thought I'd just throw that in in-case mornings were still an option for you... Or if anyone else reading wasn't aware...

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:32 am

G'day Abbey

I was thinking of sending you a PM just then. I will keep your info in mind but late afternoons and evenings are my only chance because I start work at 6.30am.

Keep an eye here and perhaps we will see you there if it suits you - or even nominate a time.

heay

Postby heay » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the only 2 days I can not due to having to pick up my eldest son form daycare. I work at the Brisbane airport and have often gone there early in the morning to do the repeats. I start at 7am and I know you said mornings are not a good choice but if you work nearby it would be just a matter of getting up a slight bit earlier?

If not what rides and how far do you go on weekends?

Heay.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:51 am

No worries. I'll keep thinking about a time, but it might be hard to work out something straight away. I work at Northgate and live at Coorparoo, so mornings are not possible for me.

The rides I do on weekends are partially documented HERE. The last six weeks have been the slackest in living memory, so while I could still handle the distances, my slow speeds would be even slower. I'll be resuming those type of rides on Saturday, January15 as I have a twice annual commitment to fulfill this Saturday (8th). I'll do something at about 2pm, but it won't be much.

Cheers

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:37 am

MountGower wrote:G'day Abbey

I was thinking of sending you a PM just then. I will keep your info in mind but late afternoons and evenings are my only chance because I start work at 6.30am.

Keep an eye here and perhaps we will see you there if it suits you - or even nominate a time.
Hi MG,

Unfortunately won't see you anywhere for a while.

Broke my left clavicle and humerus in late-Oct thanks to a little old lady in a white Corolla... :( Now have a titanium plate and 11 screws holding it all together, and am still at least 2-3 months away from being able to ride on the road (have just started back on the mag trainer though)...

One day though - am looking forward to being able to roll out of the driveway some day again... :D

Cheers,
Abby

Lewdannie

Postby Lewdannie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Bad luck Abby,

Silly question...what are "repeats"?

trickle

Postby trickle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:02 am

Repeats are exactly that, ride up ride down and repeat!

MG, the gates are usually locked by BCC or their security types at around 1800 and opened again around 0600 or there abouts. So no real fear of bogans time trialing their phully sic skyline up there.

I ride in from my workplace in Logan central on Tuesday mornings for 5-7 repeats then back to Logan for "work", The winter months the Mountain is almost a ghost town. Come summer and the numbers swell, LOTS of bikes, walkers an runners. The upside is a lot of them are ladies :wink:

I have been toying with the idea of Wednesday night repeats instead of Tuesdays, I'll keep your ride in mind.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:00 pm

G'day

It looks like this will happen this Wednesday at 5pm. It's hoped this will be a weekly arrangement.

Two confirmed starters at this point. One very good rider. The other one will be me.

Cheers.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:41 pm

Looks like three now. All with varying agenda and fitness. Too good.

All we need now is for Abby to make it along. That would be a perfect start.

Abby

Postby Abby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

MountGower wrote:All we need now is for Abby to make it along. That would be a perfect start.
Sorry mate. Am going in for a 2nd operation on my shoulder on Tuesday - so I'll be off the bike for a while yet.... :(

Its been over 3 months now since I've been out on the bike thanks to the old lady in the white Corolla - I suspect Mt Gravatt will feel like the Ventoux upon my return...!! :shock:

Enjoy the ride my friends - genuinely wish I was there with you all!! :D

Cheers,
Abby

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Abby

Very sorry to hear that the recovery is dragging on. I do recall the 3 month thing being explained to me years ago. The removal of the "stuff" if I recall correctly. Fortunately I had a choice and went with the wonky shoulder. I will try to organise stopping by some time in the next month or so if that is acceptable to you.

In other news - ONE, MORE, SLEEP. I might even get there early so I have an excuse for being slow. "Been 'ere for hours already".

trickle

Postby trickle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:24 pm

As I am "tapering" for an 8 hour MTB race on this weekend, I'm toying with the idea of doing my repeats on the Niner???

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 pm

If it's raining, I'll see your niner and raise you a racked and mudguarded OnOne Inbred.....with a mirror.

Otherwise, I'm going as easy as I can on the road bike. It does have MTBlike 39/29 gearing though.

Now I'm getting all tingly and exited.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:22 pm

There's been plenty up there both weeks. Two out of two for good weather aswell.

trickle

Postby trickle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm

I have some testing to do at Bond uni on Monday night so wont be riding the Mountain on Tuesday morning... weather permitting I'll be if for this weeks installment on Wednesday.

trickle

Postby trickle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:42 am

Hey MG, you still been doing the repeats of a Wednesday?

I have though I'm getting there around 1730, have been seeing the same guy/s there around that time. What are you generally riding so I know who to say g'day to!?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:34 pm

What is the climb, about 2km?

trickle

Postby trickle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:08 pm

Crawf wrote:What is the climb, about 2km?
A tad under at around 1.7-1.8km by my computing thing.

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I could be up for it as well in 2 weeks time, and probably most weeks after that if my timetable doesn't change. How's the traffic though? I'm not too keen to ride while there's cars there

trickle

Postby trickle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Gabe wrote:I could be up for it as well in 2 weeks time, and probably most weeks after that if my timetable doesn't change. How's the traffic though? I'm not too keen to ride while there's cars there
Gates are still open there but I generally only see 3-6 cars going up max. It's pretty quite at that time of the day and plenty safe enough.

Lewdannie

Postby Lewdannie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:09 pm

How does it compare to Mt Cootha?

trickle

Postby trickle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:28 am

Lewdannie wrote:How does it compare to Mt Cootha?

Gravatt is shorter for starters and gains less vertical meters.

I can quite comfortably climb Gravatt in my 39/19 combo, where as climbing say the back side of Mt Coot-tha I don't move much out of the 39/21. Coot-tha is harder in my opinion, though climbing Clear Mountain 2-3 times a week I thought I'd have seen some improvement by now :-(