Coast to Coast 2011

JKohn

Coast to Coast 2011

Postby JKohn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Who's riding the Coast to Coast?

Last year this was my favourite organised ride.

Stopped at Willunga Hill, then coasted all the way into Victor from there. I just have to remember to try and take it a bit slower up Eagle on the Hill so not to burn myself out too early!

davidk

Re: Coast to Coast 2011

Postby davidk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm

After I enjoyed the RLC (and my first time up the old freeway to Crafers) I think Ill give this a go :D

Any comments/hints on what the terrain is like after Crafers?

Allkai

Postby Allkai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:14 pm

Thinking about doing this one again, but not sure about the freeway..

I did it several years ago, but took the soft option and started at the top....

liamb

Postby liamb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Im in for sure, will be entering this week.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 pm

You need to save something for the last section after the top of Willunga Hull. I was suffering cramps after Yankalilla(sp). Only just made it to the end.

Not enough hydration on my part. Not to be repeated this year.

Gavin

nutsack

Coast to Coast 2011

Postby nutsack » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 pm

Have entered. Have done the full distances of Amy's ride, ride like crazy, tdu this season. Coast to coast looks like big descent once you get to stirling, should be fun. Also my first time doing all of these rides having only started road cycling last March.
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:47 pm

look's like it's up the hills for the next few weeks
Look's like im in to :shock:
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:05 am

liamb wrote:Im in for sure, will be entering this week.

Bill
Would love to, but the getting back is a pain. One of the great attractions of the RLC

Ratts

Postby Ratts » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 am

Unfortunately I have to work, which helps pay for my cycling. :(
2019 Canyon Ultimate CF slx
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1
2004 Giant TCR 1
1999 Trek

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 am

I'm going to do it but all these posts about being downhill all the way from Willunga are a bit scary. That means it uphill all the way back fro the ride home.

liamb

Postby liamb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:08 pm

MichaelB wrote:
liamb wrote:Im in for sure, will be entering this week.

Bill
Would love to, but the getting back is a pain. One of the great attractions of the RLC
My Lovey wife has said she will pick me up and the young lad has not seen Victor yet so it may even end up as a family day, might even get the parents down as well to see me ride across the finish line.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Any one used the coach transfer with bike to get back ??? :? :?

:?
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

gdt

Postby gdt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:53 pm

Yep. It's the same method as used for the TDU. You go in the bus, your bike goes in a van or trailer with a huge amount of felt blankets. It's wise to take off your bike computer. The bus people take a huge amount of care.

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:36 pm

gdt wrote:Yep. It's the same method as used for the TDU. You go in the bus, your bike goes in a van or trailer with a huge amount of felt blankets. It's wise to take off your bike computer. The bus people take a huge amount of care.
thank's

Would you turst them with a carbon XC Hardtail
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

gdt

Postby gdt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 am

tim on skin wrote:Would you turst them with a carbon XC Hardtail
I couldn't say, because people's attitudes to what is acceptable to have happen to their bike varies so much. I'm very much at the "I bought it to ride it" and the "that's why I pay my cycle insurance premiums" end of the spectrum.

Raven

Postby Raven » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 am

Hi all, Im new to the forum. Just how hard is the ride up the freeway? I am considering doing this ride and really want to start from the beginning but am not sure if I am going to be able to do the big hill. I am only new to cycling and the biggest ride I have done was the 91km leg of the Mutual community challenge. I didn't have too much trouble doing that but I did skip the first bit and start in Gumeracha as I wasn't sure about the hill there either. I have done a bit of hill work lately but nothing of this magnitude. Should I just give it a go and take it nice and slow up the hill? Would it matter if it took me a couple of hours to get up the hill??
Hopefully I will see a few of you guys out there.

CLP1972

Postby CLP1972 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Raven wrote: Just how hard is the ride up the freeway? I am considering doing this ride and really want to start from the beginning but am not sure if I am going to be able to do the big hill. I am only new to cycling and the biggest ride I have done was the 91km leg of the Mutual community challenge.
The ride up the freeway is usually pretty cruisey in the Coast to Coast. I don't think it's that steep, but it's reasonably long. If you were able to do the hills in the Challenge tour this year past gumeracha i would think you are capable of taking on the freeway. Once you get to the top of the hill there's a lot of downhill to catch your breath! Give it a go, what do you have to lose? :)

Cheers,
CLP

nutsack

Postby nutsack » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 pm

CLP1972 wrote:
Raven wrote: Just how hard is the ride up the freeway? I am considering doing this ride and really want to start from the beginning but am not sure if I am going to be able to do the big hill. I am only new to cycling and the biggest ride I have done was the 91km leg of the Mutual community challenge.
The ride up the freeway is usually pretty cruisey in the Coast to Coast. I don't think it's that steep, but it's reasonably long. If you were able to do the hills in the Challenge tour this year past gumeracha i would think you are capable of taking on the freeway. Once you get to the top of the hill there's a lot of downhill to catch your breath! Give it a go, what do you have to lose? :)

Cheers,
CLP
I agree. If you could do the MCC from Gumeracha then the full distance Coast to Coast is a definite. Freeway climb is just a long grind. It wouldn't take you a couple of hours. Plenty of time also to have a couple of test runs before hand.

(Try climbing the freeway to Mt lofty then head down to the base of Norton Summit via Woods Hill Rd, have a quick rest, back up Norton Summit and retrace back to the freeway).

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 pm

I think Raven should give it a go too ,after all its community ride not a race. A friendly event to participate in .The freeway ride is easier with others riding around you.

Last year I went too hard and was spent just before that last small ridge climb into Victor. Near the top of the ridge a volunteer was offering to push you over the top,it was very funny.Hopefully this year I wont need his assistance. For a extra challenge I might try to ride back home.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

Raven

Postby Raven » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:36 am

Thanks guys, looks like I will sign up to do it. My wife and a mate are keen too, so I guess we will all be there with bells on. Hope it is a good turn out. Is there adequate parking in Glenelg??

On a side note is there any info out there about riding in a group. Obviously keeping line is most important but is there anything else major I should be doing?

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Check the web for group ride rules.
Im no expert ,I just warn others when stopping changing direction or spotting obstacles,hopefully others do the same.
Try parking a short distance from the start and ride in. Enjoy the ride
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Raven wrote:Thanks guys, looks like I will sign up to do it. My wife and a mate are keen too, so I guess we will all be there with bells on. Hope it is a good turn out. Is there adequate parking in Glenelg??

On a side note is there any info out there about riding in a group. Obviously keeping line is most important but is there anything else major I should be doing?
Some useful stuff in the Cobwebs guide.
http://yooyahcloud.com/BIKESA/YT6NP/COB ... e_2009.pdf

Juliashmoolia

Postby Juliashmoolia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm going to be riding this, it will be my first group ride ever :shock:

The longest ride I've ever done is a 60km ride, but it was in the hills, and I'm going to be doing some more training between now and the ride so fingers crossed I'll make it!

limetang

Postby limetang » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:46 pm

I just got an email from BikeSA informing me Im a lucky winner of a $50 Ground Effect voucher ( C2C early reg. prize draw ).... sweet, I never win anything!
Only a week and a half to go now... starting to get a little excited!

nutsack

Coast to Coast 2011

Postby nutsack » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:05 pm

nutsack wrote:Have entered. Have done the full distances of Amy's ride, ride like crazy, tdu this season. Coast to coast looks like big descent once you get to stirling, should be fun. Also my first time doing all of these rides having only started road cycling last March.
Well I'm out. Got doored at 30kph today and wrote off my bmc. Also busted a finger and needed some stitches. Wounds are no big deal but the bike is rooted (multiple frame cracks) and insurance claim will no doubt take ages.

GL to all riding.