rainbow stripes - how could you even consider it !

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:30 am

I just read in these forums that rainbow stripes are the "mark of a champion"
in that case, what sort of person who wasnt a champion would have the audacity to ride wearing these stripes....
surely they would tape over any striped on their kit until they were earned ?

I should add that rainbow stripe wearing is totally different to the acceptable practice of wearing souvenir red polka dot jerseys :wink:

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: rainbow stripes - how could you even consider it !

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 am

No different to buying a 2010 Collingwood premiers tshirt and wearing that. Not that I would ever, ever, ever be caught dead in anything collingwood :lol: :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:59 am

Would only be relevant in an organised Cycling competition.
Anywhere else it has no relevance.
surely they would tape over any striped on their kit
Who's going to "police" it. :?:

Just a thought. :)
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:06 am

Oxford wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:No different to buying a 2010 Collingwood premiers tshirt and wearing that. Not that I would ever, ever, ever be caught dead in anything collingwood :lol: :lol:
I think there is a difference between buying a jersey and wearing it socially (ie not riding in it) and wearing it whilst riding. if you want to wear while riding, you should have earned it IMO otherwise the meaning if it is devalued. hopefully peer groups would be enough to do the "policing" and encourage riding mates to respect it.

is it OK to kick a collingwood supporter? what am I saying, off course it is. :mrgreen:
If you're racing I agree completely. Riding socially is no different to kicking the footy in the park in your collingwood tshirt. Should've clarified I was referring to social riding (I don't race).
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:01 pm

By policing it, I hope you mean "laying it on your mate who is wearing the said stripes !!"
thats what happens doesn't it nick ???? :P :P :P :P :P
Mod says: language edited out

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Who cares! Don't wear it in UCI sanctioned events but feel free to wear it anywhere else. If the ego needs that boost, then just be happy.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Something just doesn't seem to be right about it, a bit like wearing a yellow jersey. But I don't see it as a big deal. I hesitated before i bought my molteni cap because it has a rainbow stripe on it.

I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm

I have (and wear) a Campag cap with the stripes on it. I have (and won't wear) a World Champion Jersey I bought at the UCI's. I bought it to get Cadels signature on, mount it and hang it in my study. Chiara wouldnt let him sign it. And I though I was whipped :lol: :lol: :shock:

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:21 pm

im_no_pro wrote:I have (and wear) a Campag cap with the stripes on it. I have (and won't wear) a World Champion Jersey I bought at the UCI's. I bought it to get Cadels signature on, mount it and hang it in my study. Chiara wouldnt let him sign it. And I though I was whipped :lol: :lol: :shock:

LOL@cadel

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:24 pm

He was going to, provided he could dedicate it (which is fair enough). She came over and started on him in Italian (even though she was speaking perfect english seconds earlier). He explained that he would prefer to keep it to jerseys he signs for charity. Fair enough, I just wish that had been the line from the start :cry:

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:12 pm

scotto wrote:I just read in these forums that rainbow stripes are the "mark of a champion"
in that case, what sort of person who wasnt a champion would have the audacity to ride wearing these stripes....
surely they would tape over any striped on their kit until they were earned ?

I should add that rainbow stripe wearing is totally different to the acceptable practice of wearing souvenir red polka dot jerseys :wink:

Wear what you want, except when you are racing (if you race) - you should wear your club or sponsors kit then 8)

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 pm

im_no_pro wrote:I have (and wear) a Campag cap with the stripes on it. I have (and won't wear) a World Champion Jersey I bought at the UCI's. I bought it to get Cadels signature on, mount it and hang it in my study. Chiara wouldnt let him sign it. And I though I was whipped :lol: :lol: :shock:
He had that policy at his book launch - book signings only, no personal items. He said its so people dont go flogging the stuff on Ebay for a profit.

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Oxford wrote:
like this?
my 40th birthday present, Cadel and Robbie's signature.
There is a big difference between a plain yellow jersey and a WC jersey.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
He had that policy at his book launch - book signings only, no personal items. He said its so people dont go flogging the stuff on Ebay for a profit.
This was at the book signing in geelong and he did sign at least one other t
Item that I saw (promo poster from 2010 worlds). The ebay thing was why he wanted to dedicate it, which I completely understand. At the end of the day I knew there was a chance he wouldnt, jst would have been nice to have been told that from the outset.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
Oxford wrote:
like this?
my 40th birthday present, Cadel and Robbie's signature.
There is a big difference between a plain yellow jersey and a WC jersey.
+1. still looks good though!

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:29 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:
This was at the book signing in geelong and he did sign at least one other t
Item that I saw (promo poster from 2010 worlds). The ebay thing was why he wanted to dedicate it, which I completely understand. At the end of the day I knew there was a chance he wouldnt, jst would have been nice to have been told that from the outset.
Well it was a BOOK signing :lol:

He did cave in at the Brissie signing and signed a few T's, but that was it.

Blame the organisers for not being up front about it - not his wife for being a bitch by stopping him.

Mean Machine

Postby Mean Machine » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:40 pm

im_no_pro wrote:No different to buying a 2010 Collingwood premiers tshirt and wearing that.
I think it is different. Wearing a footy jersey, as a supporter of a team, is culturally accepted practice in that sport while wearing a TdF yellow, Giro's pink or the rainbow jersey is not. These jerseys are a little bit like war medals, they're given to individuals, not teams, for some very special achievements. Wearing a duplicate is cheap and not cool.

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Mean Machine wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:No different to buying a 2010 Collingwood premiers tshirt and wearing that.
I think it is different. Wearing a footy jersey, as a supporter of a team, is culturally accepted practice in that sport while wearing a TdF yellow, Giro's pink or the rainbow jersey is not. These jerseys are a little bit like war medals, they're given to individuals, not teams, for some very special achievements. Wearing a duplicate is cheap and not cool.

the irony is in your avatar
i remember in here somewhere was a tube clip of a start of a local sydney crit and someone was wearing a world champ jersey. the starter on the megaphone gave him a fair bit of crap about it.

this post was started in a bit of jest, as another way to "pay out" on a mate who's new white shoes had pretty stripes on them. it seems to have grown into something else !

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:15 pm

I'd never wear a champions jersey I haven't won, meaning I never will. I don't race.

I do thinks it's perfectly acceptable to ride a bike adorned with rainbow stripes, provided some rider has won the rainbow on that brand.

Collingwood supporters? Say what you like as long as it's more than two syllables, they won't get it anyway... :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

nickj_d

Re:

Postby nickj_d » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 pm

scotto wrote:this post was started in a bit of jest, as another way to "pay out" on a mate who's new white shoes had pretty stripes on them. it seems to have grown into something else !
ok Scott, i finally joined in. So maybe we should take a poll.

Is it better to wear a pair of standard cycling shoes with a discrete rainbow pattern covering 40mm of the heel....

or to wear a polka dot KOM jersey, while racing!! on a crit circuit!!
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

Chuck

Re: Re:

Postby Chuck » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:13 pm

nickj_d wrote:
scotto wrote:this post was started in a bit of jest, as another way to "pay out" on a mate who's new white shoes had pretty stripes on them. it seems to have grown into something else !
ok Scott, i finally joined in. So maybe we should take a poll.

Is it better to wear a pair of standard cycling shoes with a discrete rainbow pattern covering 40mm of the heel....

or to wear a polka dot KOM jersey, while racing!! on a crit circuit!!
When you guys joined us on the TNFPR ride a few Tuesdays back I thought for sure that Scott would be the first to the top of Elizabeth Drive :P
FPR Ragamuffin

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote: Well it was a BOOK signing :lol:
I bought 2 copies :)

Mean Machine

Re:

Postby Mean Machine » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:32 pm

scotto wrote:the irony is in your avatar
There's no irony, it's a Colnago logo, I don't even ride a Colnago anymore. The rainbow bands in the logo are there for a reason, two different things, you don't even have a choice when you buy a frame with rainbow bands.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:55 am

Bernard Hinault believes that any cyclist wearing a special jersey (leaders, points, mountains,wc, etc) that they didn't earn should be shot. Team jerseys he thought are OK - like supporters jerseys.

I'm with the badger on this.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Re:

Postby im_no_pro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:01 am

Mean Machine wrote: you don't even have a choice when you buy a frame with rainbow bands.
Ummm.... you have exactly the same choice you have with shoes/jerseys/caps........ don't buy it. Not saying you shouldnt. just saying the choice is exactly the same.