Sram Red vs Dura Ace

anth73

Re: Sram Red vs Dura Ace

Postby anth73 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:I went with DA7900 on my latest S3 build and must say i am quite disapponted with it... All my previous bikes have been shimano shod, and unless I take the jump to Di2 one day, this will probably be the last DA gruppo I go for... My RS cervelo runs DA 7800 and it is fantastic, pure quality, and shifts very very well. DA7900 feels inferior in quality with is over use of plastic. Shifting is significantly poorer than 7800, altho this maybe due a little with the S3s cable internal routing being less than direct. Also for some reason Shimano decided that increasing the throw of the brifter to change gears from the 7800 to 7900 would be a good idea? WT?? I also dislike the 7900 exposed internal shifting mechanism as it looks crap and also rubs blisters on my fingers when climbing (have to put my gloves on before getting out of saddle!). The only aesthetic positive to 7900 is the concealed cabling, besides the small weight drop.

Try Red prior to your build. If u ike it go wth that. It looks better, shifts better than 7900, weighs less, and is significantly cheaper.
I "upgraded" from 6600 Ultegra SL to 6700 Ultegra and the shifting is significantly poorer. On the weekend I re-cabled the bike to try to improve shift feel and quality (Gore cables, lubed all the cable ends, routed the gear cables straight out from the shifters and around the back of the bar) and it made only a marginal improvement. By comparison the shifting on my exposed cable 105 commuter bike is much better and crisper!

On the plus side the brakes are fantastic compared to 6600!

Did I mention the bulk of the shifter body and length of the lever throw? Not one for stubby and small hands like mine!

My mate has he same bike as me with SRAM Red and I'm definitley going to try it out for an extended test ride. Shimano seem to have gone backwards of late overall.
Website: http://www.bcycling.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: Banyule Cycling Club
Twitter: @BanyuleCC

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:26 pm

I have Ultegra 6700 on one bike and the shifting is fine. No difference on rear shifting compared to Shimano 105 5600 and front shifting is decidedly better. Did you use the PTFE cables?

laager

Postby laager » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:59 pm

for those who have sram, do you drop your chain more than? it seams to happen in our bunch, the ones on sram are dropping their chain significantly more :?
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Bandelero

Postby Bandelero » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 pm

ni78ck wrote:for those who have sram, do you drop your chain more than? it seams to happen in our bunch, the ones on sram are dropping their chain significantly more :?
What groupo was Andy Schleck using in the TDF when his chain slipped?

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Bandelero wrote:
ni78ck wrote:for those who have sram, do you drop your chain more than? it seams to happen in our bunch, the ones on sram are dropping their chain significantly more :?
What groupo was Andy Schleck using in the TDF when his chain slipped?
we mentioned that too!!!

sram :shock:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 pm

I do know of a guy I ride with occasionally with Sram Force dropping his chain a few times. There are also a few reports floating about concerning the durability of Sram groupsets. Light and cheap comes at a price.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:29 pm

anth73 wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:I went with DA7900 on my latest S3 build and must say i am quite disapponted with it... All my previous bikes have been shimano shod, and unless I take the jump to Di2 one day, this will probably be the last DA gruppo I go for... My RS cervelo runs DA 7800 and it is fantastic, pure quality, and shifts very very well. DA7900 feels inferior in quality with is over use of plastic. Shifting is significantly poorer than 7800, altho this maybe due a little with the S3s cable internal routing being less than direct. Also for some reason Shimano decided that increasing the throw of the brifter to change gears from the 7800 to 7900 would be a good idea? WT?? I also dislike the 7900 exposed internal shifting mechanism as it looks crap and also rubs blisters on my fingers when climbing (have to put my gloves on before getting out of saddle!). The only aesthetic positive to 7900 is the concealed cabling, besides the small weight drop.

Try Red prior to your build. If u ike it go wth that. It looks better, shifts better than 7900, weighs less, and is significantly cheaper.
I "upgraded" from 6600 Ultegra SL to 6700 Ultegra and the shifting is significantly poorer. On the weekend I re-cabled the bike to try to improve shift feel and quality (Gore cables, lubed all the cable ends, routed the gear cables straight out from the shifters and around the back of the bar) and it made only a marginal improvement. By comparison the shifting on my exposed cable 105 commuter bike is much better and crisper!

On the plus side the brakes are fantastic compared to 6600!

Did I mention the bulk of the shifter body and length of the lever throw? Not one for stubby and small hands like mine!

My mate has he same bike as me with SRAM Red and I'm definitley going to try it out for an extended test ride. Shimano seem to have gone backwards of late overall.
glad to hear im not the only one... altho the S3s have a very protracted internal cabling system that adds to the problems.... altho after dropping spacers out from under my bars, i do need to trim them somewhat....

in terms of the exposed shifter internals i was mentioning in my original post, heres a pic, showing what rubs blisters on my middle finger if i am not wearing gloves.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Dr_Mutley. That gear cable path is asking for trouble. I'm amazed it's designed that way.

BigVin

Postby BigVin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Why is that asking for trouble?
Forza Basso - Vincere per noi!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 am

BigVin wrote:Why is that asking for trouble?
Doesn't the gear cable have to take quite a sharp bend from the vertical it enters the top tube?

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 am

biker jk wrote:
Doesn't the gear cable have to take quite a sharp bend from the vertical it enters the top tube?
no it runs down the downtube

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:21 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
biker jk wrote:
no it runs down the downtube
So the problem comes from the bend required to enter the top tube vertically coming from the bars. Is that why quite a few use Nokon cable outers?

Cameltoe

Postby Cameltoe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 pm

I am very happy with my Sram Red gear. It does run quieter with a dura ace cassette and chain though.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:04 pm

biker jk wrote: So the problem comes from the bend required to enter the top tube vertically coming from the bars. Is that why quite a few use Nokon cable outers?
essentially yeah....

HoldYaLine

Postby HoldYaLine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 pm

I have dura ace 7800 on ma bike, i love it alot but i am sure sram red will offer the same amount of pleasure, when it gets to that price, you can't go wrong. I do find that cassette choice and chain can make a large difference to the noise, but i am happy with my dura ace cassete noise.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:57 am

My SRAM Red is starting to drop the chain occasionally on the crankset and the shifting doesn't seem so crisp anymore, but then, the cables havent been changed in 2 years :twisted:

Just waiting for my bartape to arrive then it's replacement time! Otherwise, I love my SRAM Red.
2010 BMC SLC01

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:31 am

2013 Sram Red... :D

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:47 am

Dura Ace
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 am

Campagnolo Super Record

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:38 am

hannos wrote:
My SRAM Red is starting to drop the chain occasionally on the crankset and the shifting doesn't seem so crisp anymore, but then, the cables havent been changed in 2 years :twisted:
I believe campy cables have a 3 year warranty :shock: