Chafing. Not Chaffing

Apple

Chafing. Not Chaffing

Postby Apple » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:40 pm

I have been riding for 10 years and have not had chaffing on my other lips, ever, (you know what I mean). But for the past month after a long ride the skin is torn off. Not happy. I am not sure if it is due to one garment that I have had for a long time, because I cycle 3-4 times a week I do have about 8 cycle pants and do tend to wear the ones I like most.
I hope this is not going to be a new problem; :shock:
I put zinc on it when I returned today.
I also never had to use chamois creams but I will start using sorbolene before I head out.
Anyone else has this, BTW, it’s not my seat, I have had that type for 8 years and it is very comfortable, it is the padded pants.
Last edited by Apple on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Missy24

Re: Chaffing.

Postby Missy24 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Has it rained whilst you've been out riding recently? I was out riding and felt that the padding in my chamois was too big the other day... Say What is that about?

Anyway back to you...

Use a Chamois cream and maybe a couple of days of the road whilst riding, maybe some new knicks (Sugoi bib's - Expensive but good)

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Missy24 wrote:Has it rained whilst you've been out riding recently? I was out riding and felt that the padding in my chamois was too big the other day... WT? is that about?

Anyway back to you...

Use a Chamois cream and maybe a couple of days of the road whilst riding, maybe some new knicks (Sugoi bib's - Expensive but good)
Thanks, Missy. It did rain hard one day ofter the other and I did ride, actually with the same 2 pants . :shock:
I didn't think of that. Is sorbolene Chamois cream?, in the past I have not needed any creams. I hope my beautiful anatomy part is not changing form :shock:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:44 pm

I find that if it rains and then my knicks partially dry whilst on a ride that I'll get some lovely chaffing, but if you think its going to ride or if its a ride of a good distance use Chamois cream.

Not sure about Sorbeline, I use Qoleum Sports Care on occasion, apart from patroleum jelly it has Marigold, Tea Tree and Rosemary, I don't mind this one, but if I've been chaffing in the vaginal area previously then I wont use this. Instead I would use another product called Chamois Butt'r, its more of a cream based solution...leaves you nice and soft to ;) but the other one seems to have some antiseptic type product (maybe from the Tea Tree/Rosemary) and it can sting if you have serious problems.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:49 pm

No, Sorbolene isn't chamois cream. Looking at the tub of Assos in front of me, the list of ingredients is quite long.

Chamois cream is definitely worth trying. You pay an arm and a leg for it here, but it's quite economical if bought from c r c. Aussie Butt Cream is getting good reports - I'll try that next when my current tub of Assos runs down a bit. I missed a spot before today's ride, and I'll probably be wearing satin boxer shorts for a day or so until it settles down. :oops:

From what I've seen on a TDF vid that followed the team Eric Zabel was racing in (name?) for the length of the tour, their masseur used to cover pretty much the whole chamois with the stuff. I don't go quite that far, just covering all the known chafe points, but hey, if you're in the saddle for 18+ days 6 hours a day you do what's needed I suppose.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Nappy rash cream is also a goer.

either cover yourself or the chamois in the stuff, personally I do the whole chamois

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm doing a 24 (team, not solo) in a couple of months. That might be worth doing.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Hey Apple, pretty sure we've had a waxing conversation before but I wasn't sure... wax the whole thing if you already don't

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Missy24 wrote:Hey Apple, pretty sure we've had a waxing conversation before but I wasn't sure... wax the whole thing if you already don't
I do, not a hair in sight.

brentono

Postby brentono » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:31 pm

trailgumby wrote:I'm doing a 24 (team, not solo) in a couple of months. That might be worth doing.
T.G.
"Maybe you should... do what the ladies suggest, wax the whole thing if you already don't.
Then completely cover yourself in Nappy rash cream." :)
Hope it all goes well for you. :D
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:32 pm

Missy24 wrote:Nappy rash cream is also a goer.

either cover yourself or the chamois in the stuff, personally I do the whole chamois
does that feel disgusting, I mean sticky cream like you sort of had a wet poo

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Apple wrote:

does that feel disgusting, I mean sticky cream like you sort of had a wet poo
No, it feels a bit cold as you pull your bibs on but its okay...use a cream based product with moisturiser in it and leaves you all really realy soft... I leave it at that, if you haven't already gotten the jist get your head in the gutter

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:36 pm

I use sorbolene with Vitamin E and glycerine. About $5 a litre MUCH cheaper than chamois cream. I figure if it's good enough for a baby's butt it's good enough for me. Given this conversation I'm probably not using enough though. I tend to dab in sensitive areas, I should probably dollop it on instead.

As an aside I just read Dr Karl Kruselnicki's latest book. He advocates soap on hands and bum, but sorbolene on everything else i.e. use it as your shower soap and don't strip the essential oils from your skin, just clean and lube at the same time. Been trying it for a couple of weeks. Doesn't seem to have any drawbacks so far.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:41 pm

ruscook wrote:

I use sorbolene with Vitamin E and glycerine. About $5 a litre MUCH cheaper than chamois cream. I figure if it's good enough for a baby's butt it's good enough for me. Given this conversation I'm probably not using enough though. I tend to dab in sensitive areas, I should probably dollop it on instead.

As an aside I just read Dr Karl Kruselnicki's latest book. He advocates soap on hands and bum, but sorbolene on everything else i.e. use it as your shower soap and don't strip the essential oils from your skin, just clean and lube at the same time. Been trying it for a couple of weeks. Doesn't seem to have any drawbacks so far.
For men, the soap thing... okay sure, but is isn't neccessarily advised for women, soap can have bad reactions in the vaginal (I just like saying vaginal) area, warm water though is good and a soap that isn't overly fragrant, anything for babies would be fine I would think

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:04 pm

No, I do use soap, to much of it and I do tend to dry out.
:shock: :oops: To much information.

I will not wear those two pants again, they are actually my cycle uniform which I ride with. Never mind I will just have to be out of uniform. May buy a new pair and try those creams you are all suggesting

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Missy24 wrote:
ruscook wrote:

For men, the soap thing... okay sure, but is isn't neccessarily advised for women, soap can have bad reactions in the vaginal (I just like saying vaginal) area, warm water though is good and a soap that isn't overly fragrant, anything for babies would be fine I would think
Isn't that the point Dr Karl was making soap is really not that good for us as it's PH (akaline/acid) level is not suited to the skin? So wash using sorbolene.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:24 pm

ruscook wrote:[Isn't that the point Dr Karl was making soap is really not that good for us as it's PH (akaline/acid) level is not suited to the skin? So wash using sorbolene.
I don't know Dr Karl, but I do know soap and that is what I wash with. I stopped using the solvo as I found it too harsh, I am onto lux :wink:
I use sorbolene with Vitamin E and glycerine. About $5 a litre MUCH cheaper than chamois cream.
will give this ago.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Apple wrote:
ruscook wrote:[Isn't that the point Dr Karl was making soap is really not that good for us as it's PH (akaline/acid) level is not suited to the skin? So wash using sorbolene.
I don't know Dr Karl, but I do know soap and that is what I wash with. I stopped using the solvo as I found it too harsh, I am onto lux :wink:
Don't know this dude (on left) :wink:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/sleekgeeks/

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:50 pm

It's not the bike seat, it's not the knicks.

It's probably caused by the logo of the cycling club on your knicks :twisted:
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Christine Tham wrote:It's not the bike seat, it's not the knicks.

LOL

Oh dear. Let it go CT, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale.....

As for chaffing: the zinc oxide based creams for babies is great.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Christine Tham wrote:It's not the bike seat, it's not the knicks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew you would post that, I thought the same thing

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Apple wrote: I knew you would post that, I thought the same thing
Wow. This one beats the fat sister thread. You really got everyone sucked in here. CT shouda known you better :D :D :D
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:03 pm

This might be of help to some ladies. Secret_Womens_Business

I have also heard of ladies using Lucas Papaw Ointment to help with chaffing after the event.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Look... I'm sure I have no business posting in here... but :D ...

I had this pair of belwether nicks that were abrasive down there. I thought they weren't always like that. So I tried some assos cream on them and it was all good. I think the foam dries out over time. That's my theory anyway!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:02 am

The problem is in the topic name: chaffing. You are sticking straw down your knicks!

Or did you mean you are "chafing"?

(Sorry, been up since 4am and am now sitting in Melbourne Airport waiting to go to a meeting at 11.30am so I'm just bored and spiteful.)
Not my circus, not my monkeys