Tour from Central coast to Alstonville

bleedin kneecaps

Tour from Central coast to Alstonville

Postby bleedin kneecaps » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:58 pm

This Saturday i head off on tour from the central coast to Alstonville. The tour will be approx 750kms.

Im riding a giant Yukon MTB fitted with a pair of rear panniers. The tent sleeping bag and air mattress will be strapped over the top.

As this is no time trial I've not fixed all of my route or the proposed stops, beyond my first stop of Hawks nest. I'll then venture into some national park trails and be guided by the weather, and where i feel like stopping. I expect to be meandering up the coastline for approx a week. For others interested in this or part of this tour I'll post my experience and route on my return.

bleedin kneecaps

Postby bleedin kneecaps » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:53 am

Completed the tour over 6 days including a rest/beach day on my 2nd day. Total distance was 760kms.

Still have numbness in last two digits of each hand, hope thats normal??

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:47 am

Well done. Feeling a tad weary are we? Any photos?

I'd be concerned about the numbness in your fingers, but that's largely due to ignorance on my part. If it's still there on monday, get off to the doctor about it. In the mean time, keep flexing them.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:03 pm

bleedin kneecaps wrote:Still have numbness in last two digits of each hand, hope thats normal??
That is not normal but normal for touring on an MTB. I used to get it a lot in one hand when touring those distances on an MTB. It's called MTB hands. You need more hand positions. I tried lots of things and eventually got rid of the MTB. I ended up buying a tourer with drop bars and have had not had any problems since. I also make sure that I don't use the one hand position that is similiar to MTB flat bars.

The numbness takes anywhere up to 2 weeks to wear off.

bleedin kneecaps

still numb

Postby bleedin kneecaps » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Over two weeks and right hand last 2 digits is nearly over the numbness, left hand last 2 digits are tingly and outside of wrist is still sore.

Anyone planning on touring on a MTB get some bar ends, to at least give a different hand position.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: still numb

Postby heavymetal » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:30 pm

bleedin kneecaps wrote:Anyone planning on touring on a MTB get some bar ends, to at least give a different hand position.
I had 2 sets of bar ends and it didn't help. I ended up getting rid of the MTB.

svenxtian

Postby svenxtian » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:36 am

Wow, first time in here and a fellow Alstonvillian. Read your numbness issues with great intrest, just about to fly to WA with mtb and would love to know more about the trip.

Thanks for the encouragement